Uninstall Cortana from Windows 10

maxXPsoft

And yes i don't have the error any more, it's not about cleaning the logs or not, but the system generate a fault and i don't want it to...

the git method is kind a unregistering the package correctly so it's no more called on start menu etc.

;)

Mighty fine. I had not removed Edge cause nothing else would.

I had to type out full path to copy back, kept getting don't exist

PS C:\Windows\system32> Remove-AppxPackage Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_20.10240.16384.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-AppxPackage | Select Name, PackageFullName

Its gone :thumbup

Now have to wait on 10586 update see what comes back and figure out what to do then. May want to start all over but that's a pain but I'm just that type, spend several days putting things back

While I was there I looked at dir on that folder, wow another place they hiding things

They have scattered these things all over the place.

Oops, my mistake was that I ran the Remove-AppxPackage commands in the CMD window with SYSTEM credentials.  Worked great when I ran it in a window started with MY credentials.

And truly no more error logged at logon either.

Thanks!

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Oops, my mistake was that I ran the Remove-AppxPackage commands in the CMD window with SYSTEM credentials.  Worked great when I ran it in a window started with MY credentials.

And truly no more error logged at logon either.

Thanks!

-Noel

yes I didn't even try Cortana as you said it failed. Just did and no more error's Bingo

Now to go back in and toggle all the settings. I used portable and open in table view and see all the settings

Edited by maxXPsoft

So FINALLY, on the eve of the next in-place upgrade that threatens to destroy the configuration and provisioning changes we've all made, NOW I have it tweaked to where:

• There are no apps and no errors logged.
  • I have the desktop looking good, complete with Aero Glass (though the common controls still suck).
  • The system takes a minimum of processes and RAM to boot to the desktop.
  • My system absolutely doesn't even try to communicate online unless I initiate the activity.  It's a beautiful thing.

It's possible that given all the attention by brilliant minds such as intika and others here, Windows 10 will ultimately be more tweakable than Windows 8 or 7, but the price is ongoing effort and vigilance.

Microsoft considers our behavior - turning Windows into something WE like - subversive to their cloud-based ad delivery and private information sale plans, and their plan is to thwart it by forcing the cycle of tweak discovery and re-discovery over and over again every 3 to 4 months until everyone just gets tired.  Tweaked nicely or no, it's STILL not my idea of an OS I really want to adopt for real work.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

@NoelC: just for my information, since you've done a lot of experiments in a relatively short time... do you still think 8.1 is worth the effort, or you'd say the best cost-to-benefit relation lies with well-tweaked 7 SP1?

Your github instructions are pretty terse between steps 2 and 3, but I figured it out.  I did find an entry for Cortana there, on row 32, and I was able to change the IsInBox entry to 0.

Having removed Cortana already via the instructions earlier in this thread, there was nothing more I could do.  I could not remove a package that was already removed.  The error logged at startup remains.

I'll try again after the 10586 in-place upgrade restores Cortana, which it will almost certainly do in just a few days.

-Noel

And yes i don't have the error any more, it's not about cleaning the logs or not, but the system generate a fault and i don't want it to...

the git method is kind a unregistering the package correctly so it's no more called on start menu etc.

;)

Mighty fine. I had not removed Edge cause nothing else would.

I had to type out full path to copy back, kept getting don't exist

PS C:\Windows\system32> Remove-AppxPackage Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_20.10240.16384.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-AppxPackage | Select Name, PackageFullName

Its gone :thumbup

Now have to wait on 10586 update see what comes back and figure out what to do then. May want to start all over but that's a pain but I'm just that type, spend several days putting things back

While I was there I looked at dir on that folder, wow another place they hiding things

They have scattered these things all over the place.

Hello

1. If you uninstall any package with any method, updates will not bring them back

2. Updates could add new packages when microsoft decide to, like recently with the modern package "DVD Player"

3. You could have several errors while trying to uninstall a package, a common one is "package/files unavailable" it happen when you already uninstalled the package with an other method

Here is how to solve that :

You just need to restore the package files to their original location from a backup or from the dvd

Example from dvd :

1. Do all the manipulation as trustedinstaller or system...

2. Open D:\sources\install.wim with 7zip (you need an updated version)

3. Restore package files to their location like "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy"

4. Uninstall (now you don't get the error anymore)

5. You could clean remained files...

@NoelC: just for my information, since you've done a lot of experiments in a relatively short time... do you still think 8.1 is worth the effort, or you'd say the best cost-to-benefit relation lies with well-tweaked 7 SP1?

Awaiting noelC to answer here is what i think it could help

Every one loved xp and win7 the problem with those system it's that they will become obsolete quickly and we will be somehow forced to migrate

in the other hand, you can still stick with 7 forever and use additional tools like firewall and tweaks to maintain the system yourself. one thing for sure it's less time consuming than migrating to 10

I personally decided since 8 to make my own version of linux... based on an existing distribution... i still did not migrate fully because it's impossible but i started the migration, i will still need windows on a virtual machine or on an other machine and connect to my applications with seemless destop solution or so... 

Any way what bother me the most is the time needed to tune windows8/10 it's just horrible, but in the other hand we still need to be aware of what Microsoft is doing and how to makes tweaks to have the system the way we want.

One last important point is that windows 10 is continuously developped, so every cumulative update we need to check what changed etc...  in reality those changes are not updates, but new system version

Conclusion : Win7/Linux/Win10 etc... the question is what functionality do you need ? that's all.

Note : Win 10 is stable, and have a lot of interesting features, and is usable after 2 weeks of tweaks... the system consume more resources than 7 and 8

Edited by intika

I just did a TON of software engineering and business work with my tweaked Win 8.1 system running on my workstation today.  I ran virtual machines, did Visual Studio development, collaborated with screen sharing and Skype, operated some intensive Adobe graphics applications, researched things online, did eMail customer support, and almost certainly stuff I don't even remember doing right now.

I did not experience a single system glitch.  Everything in the system itself just worked, and very responsively.  Looking at my Task Manager, I see it's now been 7 days 13 hours on the current bootup.  That's impressive, given the amount of processing demands I subject this system to.  Plus it backs up everything several ways every night.

That being said, I also used to be able to run Win 7 for weeks at a time without a reboot also.  So 8.1 isn't really more stable.  But it's certainly not less stable.

Performance-wise, 8.1 seems to do most things about as well as on Win 7, though in a few cases (e.g. heavy file system activity) Win 7 was actually slightly faster.  I have an I/O setup (6 SSDs in RAID) that is so responsive I don't sense a difference, but it does show in benchmarks.  For best performance of equivalent operations, Win 7 seems to be a slightly better choice.

Most recently, I've worked up firewall configurations for all my systems - including my current Win 7 system over in the corner that serves files, my Win 8.1 workstation, and a test Win 10 VM .  Right now - surprisingly - neither the Win 10 test system nor my Win 7 system attempt online communications I don't initiate.  They're completely quiet (which took MUCH more effort on 10 to achieve).  By contrast my Win 8.1 system, despite all my reconfiguration, still attempts fairly often to contact various CDNs and Microsoft.  In short, Win 8.1 is worse than 7 or 10 regarding privacy if you're not willing to run a deny-by-default outgoing firewall configuration.

All that being said, I still feel I get slightly more functionality and value from my highly tuned/tweaked Win 8.1 than I did from 7 on the same machine, and I'm glad I have it. 

Would I suggest moving on from a perfectly good 7 system at this point to 8.1?  Tough call.  I personally still like 8.1 best so far, but not by all that much.  It's more work to get 8.1 to the state I have it than it would be to get a 7 system to be productive, and it's notable that I set up my new Dell PowerEdge T20 system this past April with Win 7 x64 Ultimate, not 8.1. 

TL;DRIt's kind of a toss up.

I wouldn't advise spending a lot of money or effort to move up to 8.1 if you already have a 7 system that's doing primarily what you need.  If it's disappointing you, consider taking the time to do a fresh, clean installation.  That can work wonders.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Fliipism:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flipism

to the rescue:

Heads=7

Tails=8.1 (heavily, and I mean heavily tweaked)

If the coin lands and stays vertical on the edge, Windows 10. ;)

Some reference to results of scientific experiments:

http://journals.aps.org/pre/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevE.48.2547

...and yes, I would personally use this coin :whistle:

http://www.magictricks.com/double-headed-nickel.html

:lol:

jaclaz

Don't kid yourself, 7 needs to be tweaked to bring out its best too.  Not as much as 8.1, but out of the box 7 is lacking too.  The basic major tweaks to 8.1 are to improve the desktop theme and to resurrect the Start Menu (Classic Shell).  Beyond that most of it is just removal of stuff a desktop-oriented user wouldn't want or need.  Then most of the same tweaks actually apply to all the systems - not surprisingly to Win 10 as well.  Take away Metro and it's still NT under the covers, and that's a Good Thing.

For serious work, based on what I know now, I'd suggest the systems rate overall as follows, on a scale of 10:

Win 7:     8

Win 8.1:  9

Win 10:   6 (because of the risk that Microsoft is going to turn it into something that CAN'T be tweaked)

Note that the older systems will decline over time, simply because they're not current.  The current system may decline over time because Microsoft is turning it into something else, not as good.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

For serious work, based on what I know now, I'd suggest the systems rate overall as follows, on a scale of 10:

Win 7:     8

Win 8.1:  9

Win 10:   6 (because of the risk that Microsoft is going to turn it into something that CAN'T be tweaked)

Fair enough. :)

But you have to split the final vote in who/what contributes to it.

I.e. (IMHO):

Win 7:     MS contribution 7.5+ NoelC's efforts/time 0.5=8

Win 8.1:  MS contribution 7.0+ NoelC's efforts/time 2.0=9

Win 10:   MS contribution 3.5+ NoelC's efforts/time 2.5=6

jaclaz

I probably didn't work 3x as hard to add additional usability to 8.x as 7.  More like half again as much, which means it's something like 1.5x harder to turn a stock Win 8.1 installation into something usable as a stock Win 7 installation.  For Win 10 it's maybe 2x harder than Win 7, with a result that's only about 95% as good.

But I'm just a lowly system integrator/tweaker who cares about quality and stability.  We have to give credit to the fine developers and experimenters who share their findings and make the tweaking possible.  The Big Muscle's and Ivo Beltchev's and intikas and maxXPsofts of the world who figure out how to make it do what we want despite Microsoft's best efforts to screw it up are the real heroes!

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Up :

How to remove a package after error 0x80073CF1

Note : you get that error when a package is installed on other user accounts or on a ghost account (removed account), this is also usefull to remove remaining useless packages

Get list of the packages for all users

Command : Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers

First you need an sql database editor like SqliteBrowser3

1. Do those manipulation as system user (use psexec or else)
 2. Make a copy of `C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository\StateRepository-Machine.srd`
 3. Open that copy with SqliteBrowser3 or else
 4. You need to edit "package", "userpackage" and "user" table... you need to remove gost users from the user table, and remove other user on userpackage entry.
 5. kill `tasklist /svc /fi "services eq StateRepository"`
 6. replace original `StateRepository-Machine.srd` after backup.
 7. reboot and then you could remove your package normally

"Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage -Confirm"

Note : you need to leave your own user entry assigned to the package

Note 2 : in my case i just kept those 4 packages

Microsoft.AccountsControl_10.0.10240.16384_neutral__cw5n1h2txyewy
Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.10240.16384_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
windows.immersivecontrolpanel_6.2.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Windows.MiracastView_6.3.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

Note 3 : to refresh apps you could do this after all

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Edited by intika

Think I may revert back to 10240 just to cleanup and uninstall with the Github method above before the 586 drop tomorrow to see how that compares to Noel who prob just gonna wait and see what happens. Then we'll have Notes against diff situations. Already have the Machine.srd from the 586 and its tweaked but don't have a clean one from 10240 to compare.

I'll just say don't use the google 586 d/l

Edited by maxXPsoft