Almost Total Failure with KernelEx 4.5.2

HoppaLong

I feel like that old bible story, where Daniel walks into the lions den!

I know and admire the tremendous success most of you have using KernelEx.
My experience with 98SE and KernelEx has usually been a disaster. This
strange failure with KernelEx is no reflection on the authors, who are certainly
expert level programmers.

I've tried to install more than a dozen apps based on the info here at MSFN
and the KernelEx Wiki. Usually, the installer won't run at all, or after file
extraction my system is 90% frozen.

One of the few examples of success happened recently. I updated VLC Media
Player and there were no problems. Usually, I try to find a compressed archive
with the files so I don't have to run the installer with KernelEx.

I found a list at CNET from a guy who installed eight different browsers with
KernelEx. He listed them best to worst. At the top of his list was SeaMonkey.
I already had an old version, so I followed the advice at the KernelEx Wiki and
tried to install SeaMonkey_v2.0.14. The files extracted and then my system
locked up, as usual. I extracted all the files from a zip archive and followed
the directions at the Wiki. Set KernelEx to XP or 2K. Again, the results for
for my system were predictable. The app tries to run, maybe you'll see a blank
window. The Task Manager shows "not responding."

I have multiple clean system backups and I always try all new software by
mounting a virtual partition. That's why I can allow my system to crash into
oblivion. I can quickly undo any damage.

I really would like to use KernelEx successfully, like so many of you have already.
Maybe there are a few simple tweaks or Registry hacks.

Whatever the problem is with my copy of 98SE would probably require many
hours to resolve. I've never had the time to start down this long and winding
road.

Probably something to do with your hardware. Video driver, or not enough system ram, or old (non-P4) CPU.

If not hardware or drivers, then what updates / patches / tweaks to your system files do you have as a starting point before you try KernelEx?

It's not Kex that you're testing. It's a specific program / software that you're testing. And there are certain specific deficiencies in those old P2's and P3's that affect multimedia / video rendering if I'm not mistaken.

Absolutely no reason to be putzing with win-98 on anything less than a socket 478 P4 with 512 mb ram these days. Five years ago you could find PC's like that sitting on the side of the road - being thrown out with the garbage.

I haven't found much by way of exactly *what* you have.

IBM ThinkPad T23
BIOS_v1.20
Embedded Controller_v1.06a

P-III

Win98SE "Highly Customized" (transferred from an old Gateway?) using USP2(?).

What's this about a Dell Latitude D600?

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140866-booting-from-external-usb-floppy-drive/?view=findpost&p=901246

ThinkPad (512MB RAM?)

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140798-refurbished-laptops-and-98se/?view=findpost&p=900814

Seriously, you've never given much info as to what you're using in the way of Hardware. :crazy:

Please help us to help you. :yes:

I've got 98SE on two computers.

That old IBM laptop, with 767 MB of RAM. Also, it's loaded onto a more powerful computer as
one of four bootable systems.

I've got the same problems with KernelEx on both computers.

Honestly, I never dreamed that anything like KernelEx was possible!

I installed KernelEx twice. The first time it was enabled for all apps. I quickly realized many of
my older apps couldn't run with KernelEx. The second run through I installed KernelEx disabled.
Each time I tried installing an app with KernelEx I made sure it was set to whatever the Wiki
recommended.

I was content using 98SE to create DOS scripts and several other things that were just easier
for me with this older Windows system.

A friend keeps telling me I should pretend KernelEx never existed, and just continue with my
life! I guess he's right.

Discovering KernelEx is like owning an underpowered car that runs fine. One day you read that
a few simple engine upgrades will boost horsepower and you'll burn less gas. Should you do it,
or just leave your car with an underpowered, but fully functional engine? That's why I installed
KernelEx. 98SE might run like a sports car with KernelEx. Whoopie!!

Guys, I'm not going to start listing all the hardware, Microsoft patches and updates, etc. The
only part of this system that's "highly customized" is the shell. It was done in the early days
of my business to give the system a unique look. Everything "under the hood" is still 98SE.
Years ago I added the "Unofficial 98SE_SP2.1a."

Every few months I would try another app with KernelEx. Each time it failed, I thought about
posting here at MSFN, but it just seemed like a bottomless pit with no solutions. Yesterday,
when I finally posted a message I felt foolish and I wanted to immediately apologize.

I'm 99% certain the only solution would be a fresh install of 98SE. I just don't have the time to
build a new system from scratch.

Most of us here are pretty friendly and willing to help others, so don't feel bad about posting if you have a problem.  :thumbup

There are numerous possibilities as to what's going wrong. I don't know exactly how your system is set up and what software you have installed. If it's not much, you can back up all of your programs and data to another computer, reinstall Windows 98, and restore everything. Windows 98 installs pretty quickly (the whole installation process only took about an hour for me). Only install updates and unofficial modifications if they're absolutely necessary. Some unofficial updates and service packs can interfere with KernelEx. There's pretty much no need to worry about the security of a Windows 98 system in 2015, since Windows 9x malware is pretty much nonexistent.

If you absolutely can't nuke and restore, try completely removing KernelEx and any unofficial service packs, etc. you have installed, then try reinstalling KernelEx. Make sure unicows is also installed, as KernelEx can't work without it. There's also a possibility that those shell modifications are interfering.

The fact that you've got the same issue on two machines is strange.

Does the freezing behavior happen with all apps when KernelEx is enabled, or just a few?

@HoppaLong - Still, I browsed through all of your prior posts and that was basically all I could glean. :( You've not been very forthcoming with much. :crazy: Besides, that's a *really old* USP that *may* be causing all of your problems. :unsure:

@jumper - Huh! Never paid much attention to that.

I have multiple clean system backups and I always try all new software by
mounting a virtual partition. That's why I can allow my system to crash into oblivion.
With low specs and trying this on (assuming) a VM heck yeah, stuff will lock up! I have 2GB RAM and only alloacate 512MB of it to VPC for testing, otherwise the Host OS slows down drastically.

In addition, if you have Dual Core, you *must* set VPC on the Host to use *only one* for Win9x (as Guest VM), otherwise bad stuff happens.

Task Manager->Processes->(Right click the one to be changed)->Set Affinity

Again, HoppaLong, you're not being very forthcoming. It seems impossible that so many other Members have had nearly no problems but only *you* can get -one.lousy.application- to function. :crazy:

If you wish to be helped, tell all... clearly... in sequence.