'Zombification' of Windows 7?

TELVM

This post at the Pale Moon forum caught my attention:

"It seems that M$ uses several ways to turn Win7 pc's into zombies, just as if Win10 was installed. I have really used a lot of time, trying to keep all the spyware crab out of my Win7 pc, but it was obviously not enough.

I have made this list of update KB's (Win7) which ought to trigger a red alert on any antivirus program: KB3035583, KB2952664, KB3021917, KB2990214, KB3080149, KB3075249, KB3022345, KB3068708.

The list is probably incomplete, since it is based on what M$ write about the KB's. I guess I am not the only one that don't trust anything from M$ anymore.

Well, yesterday I made a search, to see if my pc was infected with any of this M$ spyware stuff. And the result was shocking. M$ has backdoor'ed not less than 3 spyware KB's into my Win7 pc: KB2952664, KB3021917 and KB3022345

Fortunately, I don't seem to be infected with the dreadful "utcsvc service" virus.

So this means that it is not enough to hide the malicious KB's, and keep on doing it every time they show up again. M$ have other ways to infect your Win7 pc.

I seriously consider turning WU completely off and block the complete M$ domain with my firewall ..."

http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7745&start=440#p62077

Will the new Resident World Controller not even allow any islands for dissidents in this Brave New World?

Check your six, squadron mates ...

I need to check my laptop in the basement that I only use for Skype. It too has Windows 7 on it and it's been bugging me over a month now that Windows 10 is ready to be installed. I was going to try it out until I found out what it was all about and I'm like...nah, I'll pass. Now that I know Skype can work on Windows 2000 with the unofficial version, I should just uninstall Windows 7 completely. While I understand that's not really possible for everyone...it just upsets and angers me that MS is doing this to people. To us techies, we know what's going on. But for the average user....oooh, free upgrade. Gimme gimme! Wasn't the old saying, "If something is free, it's probably too good to be true?" Doesn't that sound a bit like Windows 10? Who really knew it was going to be all this backdoor spying BS? It's unbelievable, but believeable, that they'd stoop to this level. We live in a non-privacy expected world now and any bit of data that companies and the internet can harvast from you, they'll take.

Thanks a million for the info, TELVM.  :thumbup

Some time after the post you linked to, several more Windows 7 updates to avoid have been added: KB3075249, KB3080149, KB3044374, and KB3050267.

On my Win7 system, I don't seem to have the last two either installed or waiting to get downloaded.

EDIT: never mind, these two are for Windows 8.1, as is KB3058168 (which also applies to Windows 8).

About KB3075249:

This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature to collect information on elevations that come from low integrity levels.

About KB3080149:

This package updates the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. This service provides benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded.

The article seems to imply that this concerns only "Windows systems that participate in the Customer Experience Improvement Program," but I wouldn't trust the person who wrote that as far as I could throw him.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

New Windows 7/8/8.1 updates spy on you just like Windows 10 - Microsoft is pushing KB3075249 and KB3080149 updates for Windows 7/8/8.1 users which can spy on you

"... In simple words, both these updates, if downloaded and installed will snoop on you and report back certain data to the Microsoft servers.

Once you have updated your Windows 7/8/8.1 with these updates, your PC is no better than Windows 10 as it will report back your user data ..."

keep-calm-just-give-them-the-finger.png

yeh, disgusting move

I wouldn't be surprised if they start to push desktop ads to switch to winblows 10

or even worse starting to lock down pre "8" OS-es as soon as their support ends

because after all, you didn't buy OS, you just rented it...