How to control windows updates

albator

Bitter much, xpclient?  Try not to let it get to you - it's only software.  :angel

Why, just yesterday I chose to install a security update, and to my amazement my Win 8.1 system still works!  And it only took 15 minutes over a fiber optic connection!!

I consider myself lucky to have the privilege of filling my disks with Microsoft's fine work.

54856-200.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

• 4 months later...

I haven't personally tested it on 15063 yet, but the group policy that sets the registry entries my little program does still exists, so it should still be valid.

If you've got Windows 10 Pro, I suggest using the actual group policy editor instead:  Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows UpdateConfigure Automatic Updates.

And never forget, this is just a setting, which means that Microsoft has to program in the checks for it and obey it.  It's like the Pirate's Code.  I believe it will stop "normal" automatic updates, but if Microsoft pushes one they really, really want people to have the system will go ahead and install it REGARDLESS.  That's why I also disable the Windows Update service AND use a 3rd party firewall that's normally configured to block access to the update servers. 

And even with all the extra measures in place I HAVE observed a Windows 8.1 system getting to the point where it hit its head against the firewall.  An application install, of all things, started the Windows Update service even though it was disabled.

-Noel

26 minutes ago, nullvoid said:

You remove Windows Update + BITS with a tool like NTlite and use online catalog to get the update each month.

That is way too much for the common user, who, moreover, usually got his 10 pre-installed in a notebook, in my experience.

@NoelC: OK, but your tool should be enough to prevent most of the undesired and untimely updates and reboots that infuriates and despairs people, while being very easy to use, a must for the common user. That's what makes your tool precious. Of course, the best solution is to stay away from 10, but that is becoming less and less an option, by the day, unfortunately.

Yes, "untimely" is the biggest part we can still control.  Control over what we accept from the now "cumulative" updates has already been removed, and IMO it'll mean Microsoft's demise because no one can possibly release software that's perfect every time.  Their whole strategy hinges on their being able to converge their updates into a system that actually works well.  At the same time as having let their testing staff go.  Riiiiiight.  Skeptics amongst us wonder how the system can possibly be stable after ANY update cycle, and lo and behold Windows 10 isn't gathering a reputation of being a cornerstone of business.

That Microsoft should pre-ordain that any night in the mandatory what is it, 6 hours a day you CANNOT designate as "active hours", is an acceptable time to de-stabilize a computer system is ludicrous.  I quite often go MONTHS between times when I can justify taking time out from work and possibly de-stabilize my computer systems, which have tasks to perform 24/7.  They're now offering an ability to delay updates for a significant amount of time, but it still leads to an update that happens when THEY want it to.

It's really not Microsoft's place to say, "everyone needs to take life and work less seriously so your systems can update when we want them to".

And funny thing...  A lot of people actually want to run their personal systems as tightly as businesses want to run theirs.  People's data is important to them!

-Noel

Edited by NoelC