[HELP] Lots of problems with Windows 10

Zacharee

Two days ago (I think) I was playing with Glass8 and themes. I needed to reapply a theme, so a changed to another one, then changed back. When I clicked the theme, my screen flashed to black and would either show moving horizontal white lines or white flashes any time I moved the cursor (the only thing I could see). I figured this was just another bug, and that deleting the Glass8 task, along with the Glass8 folder, would fix my problem, like it had before. I booted into the advanced options and did what I needed and rebooted, but the problem was still there. After running chkdsk /f C: (with and without the /r flag), sfc /scannow offwindir=C:\Windows offbootdir=C:\, and even manually replacing DWM files (which I did reverse), it still didn't work.

For easier viewing, here's what I tried:

chkdsk /r /f C: (always said it fixed stuff, but nothing ever changed)

sfc /scannow offbootdir=C:\ offwindir=C:\Windows (This either said it couldn't fix anything or it couldn't run at all)

dism image=C:\ /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source=E:\sources\install.wim (converted the esd file, and even mounted it, but this still failed out with not being able to find the source files)

After all this I finally decided to just do a reset. I chose the one that would keep my files, and it appeared to work, but it reached 100%, rebooted and then said it was undoing its changes. I tried again, and it appeared to work, but then I ran into a BSOD that had the error: BOOT_DEVICE_INACCESSIBLE. I looked this up and it seems pretty common, always happening after resets or refreshes. I played around with the BCD, removing and re-adding entries, but nothing would let me get past this, except booting from the Windows.old directory (this just brings me back to my original problem).

Sorry for the long post. My question is: are there ANY possible fixes for this? I don't want to risk a reinstall, because of activation problems people have had doing this. Resets no longer work either. It just says it can't gather files or prepare or something. Help is greatly appreciated. Any more details needed I will provide. I'm kind of getting into a panic, since this is my main computer, and I need it for school in less than two weeks.

It looks like I'm going to have to do that, but it's going to take days to find and install just the default config programs for MSi. Then there's the set up for cloud backup and the rest of the programs. I just want to try literally everything I can.

Well, I just ended up doing a reinstall. Luckily the refresh did keep all my files, so now I can copy stuff back. It's weird that no one seems to know why exactly this BSOD happens. I can't find a reason anywhere, and it would be great if someone knew.

Well, I just ended up doing a reinstall. Luckily the refresh did keep all my files, so now I can copy stuff back. It's weird that no one seems to know why exactly this BSOD happens. I can't find a reason anywhere, and it would be great if someone knew.

Two days ago (I think) I was playing with Glass8 and themes.

Thats why you need a recovery plan. System image like Macrium Reflect (FREE). I create boot cd/dvd and image offline to a separate drive, less trouble of errors that way

I understand.  Still, last I looked you could get one with a couple of terabytes capacity for a little under $100.  Watch for occasional sales e.g., at Newegg.

I have three of them, connected to two systems.  Nightly system Image backup and file backup every few hours on my main system.

-Noel

I don't see any at the moment for less, save for maybe a few refurbed drives on Newegg.com.  Like I said, occasionally look for sales.  I think I got one of the drives I have for around $70 a year ago.  Even at $100 they're a decent deal for the peace of mind a good backup brings.

-Noel