Old computers = garbage? Hogwash!

Tommy

For no apparent reason, and possibly OT :w00t::ph34r: someone found out :whistle: that by blocking ads and related pages loading on "common" news sites decrease both the time loading and the bandwidth used very, very noticeably:
http://murphyapps.co/blog/2015/8/22/crystal-benchmarks

Results
On average, pages loaded 74% faster with Crystal and used 53% less bandwidth. Just by having Crystal installed, I saved a total of 70 seconds and 35MB of data on these 10 pages.

the fact that the results were published as a couple lousy charts on a javascript infested page that renders poorly with most browser is a side note ;).

jaclaz

... I hate to throw anything away ...

I still keep my 1984-vintage ZX Spectrum+ 48K somewhere in the attic. :)

... you used a standard audio cassette drive for storage ...

Dat noise! :lol:

Edited by TELVM

For no apparent reason, and possibly OT :w00t::ph34r: someone found out :whistle: that by blocking ads and related pages loading on "common" news sites decrease both the time loading and the bandwidth used very, very noticeably:

http://murphyapps.co/blog/2015/8/22/crystal-benchmarks

Results

On average, pages loaded 74% faster with Crystal and used 53% less bandwidth. Just by having Crystal installed, I saved a total of 70 seconds and 35MB of data on these 10 pages.

the fact that the results were published as a couple lousy charts on a javascript infested page that renders poorly with most browser is a side note ;).

jaclaz

Precisely this is needed for desktop systems on data capped limited plans. Its more common than you would believe.

Too often, soooo many sites will somehow happily load all the ads and banners and crap... yet the content never appears.

News sites are the worst offenders.. but some popular forums aren't much better.

My F5 button isn't broken yet.. But it gets used alot. Palemoon and Explorer differ in their performance, all those tests the fan sites talk about page loading times and blah... plug in a dial up modem and see how they REALLY fair.

Youtube will load video ads in high definition without the ability to cancel or at least decrease the data usage... wasting time and money.

One watches the number of html requests to paid.this, or ad.google... before the url I want does anything.

The joys of the modern web.

Even though the site is satire, it's actually correct. Websites today have to be fancy, they have to have flash ads up the rear, they need to have tablet like browsing capabilities to them...hell...they have to require fancy backgrounds at the very least.

It's all a part of making old technology obsolute just so new computers can be sold to people who really don't even need them as much as they think. Look at the old Dell and HP websites, they were simple, to the point, and got the job done. Are they like that today? No! They have to have all these fancy doodads and graphical experiences that do nothing but bog your computer down and really doesn't impress others. Make something that works, not something that looks 'cool'. I'm the type who prefers functionality, not eye candy. Maybe that's why I don't care for Windows 7 *cough cough*.

Tommy you can have it both at minimum resource usage

and even old machines would swallow it fast

as for tablets and "smart phones", I don't know what kind of code has to be inserted

I always assumed that when user flips the device, that its device's job to change perspective

scrolling down and down is nothing new, its been there for ages

and ironically, since CSS 2, DIV layers were widely accepted and were excellent replacement for ordinary Layers

and user could finally make dynamic page that would stretch by width (PX or %) so user

can read or see more content without scrolling so much

and yet now its back to stiff it all in the middle with huge scrolling ONLY because stupid phones

well aint that an evolution ahahah

Precisely this is needed for desktop systems on data capped limited plans. Its more common than you would believe.

Too often, soooo many sites will somehow happily load all the ads and banners and crap... yet the content never appears.

News sites are the worst offenders.. but some popular forums aren't much better.

My F5 button isn't broken yet.. But it gets used alot. Palemoon and Explorer differ in their performance, all those tests the fan sites talk about page loading times and blah... plug in a dial up modem and see how they REALLY fair.

Youtube will load video ads in high definition without the ability to cancel or at least decrease the data usage... wasting time and money.

One watches the number of html requests to paid.this, or ad.google... before the url I want does anything.

The joys of the modern web.

My how time flies...my favorite browser addon is now more than 10 years old. Noscript goes a long way toward solving this. Having found it so long ago I simply refuse to surf without it. Makes it possible for even a 16 year old laptop running W98SE with only 256MB RAM to surf comfortably on modern webpages once the bloatware is removed from them. Might also work for PaleMoon but IE users are outta luck.

It can also be helpful to supplement this with RequestPolicyContinued. I am using 0.5.29 (the last non-beta version) which works in SeaMonkey and older FireFox and maybe also PaleMoon. But it will have issues with FF versions after 40 when Mozilla starts to enforce the walled garden/jail. In line with this they have (prematurely) pulled 0.5.29 from the addons site, but it can still be had at requestpolicy-0.5.29.xpi

Pages definitely load faster with these extensions installed than without either. How much faster varies by site and depends on how much bloat you choose to allow, which is easily adjusted on the fly. A nice side bonus is that those annoying flashcookies and whatnot don't need to do their tracking thing, and malware has a harder time creeping in.

In case there are a few people here that never heard of Proxomitron, I decided to mention it for speeding up surfing. I used it with Windows 98SE and now with XP.

Scott R. Lemmon passed away many years ago. This is from the Proxomitron web page ...

The Author

Scott R. Lemmon originally developed the Proxomitron for his own use.  He then decided to release it to the public and made himself available to users via email and in several Proxomitron user-discussion groups.  His support, like his program, was always free.

With the release of Naoko 4.5, Scott discontinued all further development and support of his program and pulled the official home of Proxomitron off the Web.  We respected his decision to move on and wished him all the best -- which is, after all, what he consistently gave to us.

Sadly, one year later, Scott died -- but his brilliance of mind and spirit lives on.  Simply put, Proxomitron is a reflection of its creator:  To know Scott's program . . . is to know Scott Lemmon.

Proxomitron.Info

...the Webhiker's Guide to Proxomitron.

http://www.proxomitron.info/

also a forum here ... I use the Sidki Config Set ... he has since moved on but it still works and still very popular with most users ... I think.

The Un-Official Proxomitron Forum

http://www.prxbx.com/forums/

I have used this with any browser but now I have been using ... K-Meleon v1.8.2.4 and Pale Moon v25.6.0 (Intel Atom and Windows XP build).

I like K-Meleon since I can switch JavaScript on and off very fast as I need it ... although, it's mostly off.

Maybe this will be of some help or someone might want to experiment with Proxomitron.

monroe

Edited by monroe

• 1 month later...

I could make one of those big over dramatic posts but I am not going to again.

A. Buy the new $5000 for your work or else you will be like me and deal with an $500 slow piece of junk. My father spent over

$4000 one time on an computer that was less then 60Mhz. Can you guess the sale pitch he was given???? Imagine an yellow

and black colored display with some green and red there.

B. For personal usage it is okay to upgrade. Personal usage is like downloading/uploading and things like that. Also watching BS_flicks,

Youtube, and other garbage like that.

C. No script is your ally. Otherwise everything would take out the memory or processor of my computer.

D. Do you need all of these things with a computer? Can you program PS2 games with a computer that is unable to emulate them?

E. Everything is super cheap because, everything is out dated and everybody is racing to the next thing, good or bad.

F. Anti-privacy is what keeps me from upgrading. Like spyware installed by Microsoft/Governent to non-heterosexual CEO Apple. This world is against regular skirt chasing men. If it was possible all women would be hoars and men would be non-heterosexuals. They want to make it look like if money is the only way to have babies or lead a normal life.

G. My internet provider houses dozens of women. Women who most likely stands against my private way of life. I think about things like that and ask myself. Without internet how much money would still be inside my pocket. How many Jezebels and Oprah fans pockets did I just line with that internet purchase.

H. If you can get away with making money and not lining anybodys pocket then treat yourself to whatever. If I could rob the federal reserve and get a plane ticket to paradise. I would not really care about computers anymore. Seriously I want to make beautiful things with my computers but seriously it is a waste of life, like forums and stuff and if I could jump the gateway with all the knowledge I know today back to when I was born I would do it in a heartbeat.

COmputers are just tools and that is it. It can take you places and make you happy but seriously. Everybody is for the push into new technologies, and if I had the money I would be apart of that race as well.

Edited by ROTS