hp presario r3001 drivers / pcmcia support for windows 95

cov3rt

bump, does anyone know where to find the newest pccard.vxd for windows 95 and related files such pci.vxd for pc cards / pcmcia? i tried downloading the few limited dell packages with pccard.vxd version 4.00.1121 which someone else mentioned in another forum but the setup for the package did not work, apparently it only works on certain dell models. 

bump, does anyone know where to find the newest pccard.vxd for windows 95 and related files such pci.vxd for pc cards / pcmcia? i tried downloading the few limited dell packages with pccard.vxd version 4.00.1121 which someone else mentioned in another forum but the setup for the package did not work, apparently it only works on certain dell models. 

Here. I have it in my slipstream build but without going back and reviewing all my old notes I don't remember how I had to extract it.PCCARD.ZIP

Here. I have it in my slipstream build but without going back and reviewing all my old notes I don't remember how I had to extract it.attachicon.gifPCCARD.ZIP

thanks, the old pccard.vxd on the w95 system i updated was 4.00.1119, the one you sent is the newest or newer at version 4.00.1121. 

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know there is no real difference between the variations of ICH4, although I have never tried to run 95 on a laptop, only desktop systems.

Search for versions 2.90.009 and 3.20.1008 of the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility. One or both of these I know supports 95 and contains the ICH4 INF's; I just can't remember which one I used.

I've never tried to use SATA drives with a PATA IDE board. I've never had a need to do so, since I have a large stockpile of PATA drives. I know these boards have the necessary settings to place the drives in Legacy PATA mode, so what you're looking for should be possible. Some early onboard SATA controllers came with 9x compatible drivers until the SATA controllers became integrated into the chipset. See the Intel D845PEBT2 board for reference.

well i was not able to install the smbus driver for the ibm thinkpad t40 laptop that uses the ich4-m chipset despite using all three of the inf update utilities, from versions 2.90.009, 3.20.1008 that you mentioned and 3.30.1010 that i normally use. are you sure that w95 has full driver support for ich4/m based chipsets? i mean, i was able to install the 82802 firmware hub device upon inf update, but i was able to do this before, it was with finding a working smbus driver. perhaps this is the time to modify a newer inf file or use a w98 inf to get it working on w95 or maybe im not looking in the right areas for the right driver? 

well i was not able to install the smbus driver for the ibm thinkpad t40 laptop that uses the ich4-m chipset despite using all three of the inf update utilities, from versions 2.90.009, 3.20.1008 that you mentioned and 3.30.1010 that i normally use. are you sure that w95 has full driver support for ich4/m based chipsets? i mean, i was able to install the 82802 firmware hub device upon inf update, but i was able to do this before, it was with finding a working smbus driver. perhaps this is the time to modify a newer inf file or use a w98 inf to get it working on w95 or maybe im not looking in the right areas for the right driver?

Export a registry file of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ENUM\PCI on your Windows 95 Setup and attach it here so I can see what device ID's are in your laptop and compare them to my INFs.

Export a registry file of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ENUM\PCI on your Windows 95 Setup and attach it here so I can see what device ID's are in your laptop and compare them to my INFs.

im not sure what exactly i need to do here but if this helps, below is information of the smbus device below, obtained from regedit - 

hardware id

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C3&SUBSYS_052D1014&REV_01,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C3&SUBSYS_052D1014,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C3&REV_01,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C3

compatible id 

PCI\CC_0C0500,PCI\CC_0C05

also, im looking for a working windows 95 driver for the following ethernet device "VEN_8086&DEV_101E". i tried version 6.4.16.0 of e1000w9x, but it didn't work, gave a code 2 in device manager with yellow marking, mentioning device failure, try changing driver..

im not sure what exactly i need to do here but if this helps, below is information of the smbus device below, obtained from regedit - 

hardware id

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C3&SUBSYS_052D1014&REV_01,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C3&SUBSYS_052D1014,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C3&REV_01,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C3

compatible id 

I stand corrected. Apparently an ICH4CORE.INF for 95 does not exist in the Intel INF packages. Other INFs are present that get used under 95 when installed on an ICH4 system, but the one containing the device you need is apparently 98 and up only.

Your system will run fine without any specific driver for this device, but I know it can be annoying to have Unknown devices show up.

For a "quick and dirty" solution:

-extract ICH3CORE.INF for 95 from the last 95 compatible package

-extract ICH4CORE.INF for 98SE from a 98SE compatible package

-copy the contents of the [iNTEL_SYS] section near the top of the file from the ICH4 file to the same place in the ICH3 file, example:

%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C3.DeviceDesc%=NO_DRV,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C3

-then move to the bottom of the file (bottom of [strings] section) and copy the ICH4 device identifier strings under INTEL_MFG to the same location in the ICH3 file, example:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C3.DeviceDesc="Intel® 82801DB/DBM SMBus Controller - 24C3 "

-save the modified ICH3CORE.INF and point your Device Manager to it to update the 24C3 driver.

also, im looking for a working windows 95 driver for the following ethernet device "VEN_8086&DEV_101E". i tried version 6.4.16.0 of e1000w9x, but it didn't work, gave a code 2 in device manager with yellow marking, mentioning device failure, try changing driver..

I don't believe any 95 drivers exist for Intel's Gigabit Network cards. I checked the files I have for 95 and no mention of that Device ID.

hardware id

compatible id 

I stand corrected. Apparently an ICH4CORE.INF for 95 does not exist in the Intel INF packages. Other INFs are present that get used under 95 when installed on an ICH4 system, but the one containing the device you need is apparently 98 and up only.

Your system will run fine without any specific driver for this device, but I know it can be annoying to have Unknown devices show up.

For a "quick and dirty" solution:

-extract ICH3CORE.INF for 95 from the last 95 compatible package

-extract ICH4CORE.INF for 98SE from a 98SE compatible package

-copy the contents of the [iNTEL_SYS] section near the top of the file from the ICH4 file to the same place in the ICH3 file, example:

%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C3.DeviceDesc%=NO_DRV,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C3

-then move to the bottom of the file (bottom of [strings] section) and copy the ICH4 device identifier strings under INTEL_MFG to the same location in the ICH3 file, example:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C3.DeviceDesc="Intel® 82801DB/DBM SMBus Controller - 24C3 "

-save the modified ICH3CORE.INF and point your Device Manager to it to update the 24C3 driver.

also, im looking for a working windows 95 driver for the following ethernet device "VEN_8086&DEV_101E". i tried version 6.4.16.0 of e1000w9x, but it didn't work, gave a code 2 in device manager with yellow marking, mentioning device failure, try changing driver..

I don't believe any 95 drivers exist for Intel's Gigabit Network cards. I checked the files I have for 95 and no mention of that Device ID.

luckily, i found a driver package with the ich4core.inf version 4.00.1001 already extracted from apparently the same installer that wouldn't run on windows 95. for now, the device is in device manager as working which i find suprising. i've encountered a new problem though with speedfan 4.28 giving the windows protection error if i try running it and the laptop turning off after i press a key, perhaps it may have to do with the smbus driver or ich4 chipset, i tested it before installing the driver and after, i also downloaded an early version of everest, version 1.10, and it installed and worked fine, though i didn't see anywhere mentioning cpu temperature, but that could be because of the laptop, also the hard drive temperature had two temperatures where speedfan usually gives one, it said 17 degrees Celsius and 34 degrees celsius for the other one. thanks for the information btw, i will take those things in account.