hp presario r3001 drivers / pcmcia support for windows 95

cov3rt

i was wondering if anyone can help me find some working drivers for a few missing devices on a hp compaq presario r3001 laptop with windows 95 installed. the ones i have missing are listed below -

PCI Multimedia Audio Device
Unable to Detect, Hardware ID: VEN_1002&DEV_4341

PCI System Peripheral
Unable to Detect, Hardware ID: VEN_104C&DEV_8201

Unknown Device
Unable to Detect, Hardware ID: VID_049F&PID_0086

the audio on hp's site indicates ad1981b, though i could not find a vxd version / windows 95 one with the same hardware id. devid.info site has not worked all day so i couldn't check there as i usually check there for hardware id's. 

pci system peripheral links to some hp firmware loading device but from the few packages i downloaded, they were not detected in the device manager manual inf finder and i also tried two of them using the setup option but mentioned other devices that werent compatible and nothing changed after installing them. 

unknown device links to some bluetooth usb device, the earliest package i found had the inf of 2003 but still did not work after restart. 

although i did find a "working" driver for the pcmcia controllers, i still dont know how to get the pc cards to work. i have (2) texas 1620 controllers, a pcic to pcmcia controller ( which was there from when i first installed the operating system, the other 2 texas 1620 controllers were part of other devices that i found a working driver ), and just recently, a pcmcia card services with 2001 driver date working ( which came up when i plugged in the intel pro wireless 2011b pc card that im trying to get to work ). i downloaded the intel wireless drivers for the pro 2011b, ran setup but as i don't the card specifically listed in device manager, im lost on trying to install the driver and get it working. 
Edited by cov3rt

According to my (incomplete) detection application HDDB:

- 1002/4341 --> Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD) AC'97 Audio Controller (the SUBSYS part may futher indicate model or other details)

- 104C/8201 --> Texas Instruments TI UltraMedia Firmware Loader Device (could be the 5-in-1 card reader)

- 049F/0086 --> Compaq HP nx7000 (USB device, apparently)

The laptop/notebook was designed for and shipped with XP-Home Edition. Best bet would be for you to get the whole set of XP drivers for it, unpack them and look inside the infs for any details (usually in the Strings sections) to find out exactly what all the devices are called and then hunt for any corresponding 95-compatible drivers if available. Prepare yourself to be dissapointed, however.

According to my (incomplete) detection application HDDB:

- 1002/4341 --> Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD) AC'97 Audio Controller (the SUBSYS part may futher indicate model or other details)

- 104C/8201 --> Texas Instruments TI UltraMedia Firmware Loader Device (could be the 5-in-1 card reader)

- 049F/0086 --> Compaq HP nx7000 (USB device, apparently)

The laptop/notebook was designed for and shipped with XP-Home Edition. Best bet would be for you to get the whole set of XP drivers for it, unpack them and look inside the infs for any details (usually in the Strings sections) to find out exactly what all the devices are called and then hunt for any corresponding 95-compatible drivers if available. Prepare yourself to be dissapointed, however.

yes, i did download some of the official xp drivers to see if i can find instances to older drivers but with no luck so far. originally, i had a little hard time finding a lot of information for the laptop before obtaining it, i was unsure of the gpu portion for one, though i was sucessfully able to find a working w95 driver, under the name of m10 in device manager or mobility 9600 for the other name. i did check the ethernet driver and it had w95osr2 supported and i also have it working, one thing new is the laptop is apparently based on an ati chipset, which i rarely encountered when working with desktop or laptops, or at least, i always choose the intel based ones because they just seem to more common and wikipedia ( list of intel chipsets ) always helps me with the support info :). basically ich3-s and m would be the last to support windows 95 ( as fas as the chipset portion goes ). 

what would be nice is to see if i can find if there are motherboard chipset drivers for this laptop as i also don't know where to look for this portion. one way would be to use an ati based chipset identifier so i can maybe get some other important updates. does anyone know if there is a chipset identifer under w95 that works with ati chipsets? im open to try out suggestions that can help with any of the issues i need help with. btw. thanks for the info drugwash. 

It's not much but you're welcome. :)

I'd be curious if my tool works correctly (or at all) under Win95. I haven't tested it there. If you want to give it a try, it's in the cloud repository found in my signature below (look for the HDDB folder). Hope you have 7-zip installed to unpack the archive.

If it works it should connect to the web for a database update then present you with the GUI. Select categories to the left - most important are PCI and USB - and look for 'Unknown device' in the right-hand list. Select them and you'll see registry details at the top while at the bottom in the VID/PID - VEN/DEV area there should be details on the selected item, if available.

It still needs some work but it's quite useful as it is for the moment. Hope it works for you. ;)

There's a document on the web - ds511u.pdf - that lists the specs for this notebook but it's not much useful information in there. Hard to find a real manual or drivers nowadays - many sites promise everything and deliver nothing at best.

Good luck! ;)

It's not much but you're welcome. :)

I'd be curious if my tool works correctly (or at all) under Win95. I haven't tested it there. If you want to give it a try, it's in the cloud repository found in my signature below (look for the HDDB folder). Hope you have 7-zip installed to unpack the archive.

If it works it should connect to the web for a database update then present you with the GUI. Select categories to the left - most important are PCI and USB - and look for 'Unknown device' in the right-hand list. Select them and you'll see registry details at the top while at the bottom in the VID/PID - VEN/DEV area there should be details on the selected item, if available.

It still needs some work but it's quite useful as it is for the moment. Hope it works for you. ;)

There's a document on the web - ds511u.pdf - that lists the specs for this notebook but it's not much useful information in there. Hard to find a real manual or drivers nowadays - many sites promise everything and deliver nothing at best.

Good luck! ;)

i ran the hddb exe file, it brought up a similar device id indentifier like the unknown devices i use but did not connect to the web for a update and gui. i did not find any unknown devices in the list, however, it does list more detailed device id's that i can possibly look up to see if i can find a working driver. 

does this hddb tool actually go on the web and find updates for windows 98SE though?

basically ich3-s and m would be the last to support windows 95 ( as fas as the chipset portion goes ).

Technically no. The last Intel chipset with official 95 support was the 845 ICH4 Pentium 4 chipset. I have several 845 chipset based boards that have working 95 drivers for every single device except the USB2.0 conrollers.

If you're just looking for chipset support, it is simple enough to create INFs (or modify those for later OS'es) to properly name all of the devices. The problem comes when other devices on the board no longer get along well with Windows 9x, whether it be integrated Audio or Network cards, or more obscure non-configurable things like the ACPI controller. I have successfully used Windows 95 without any such problems on an Intel 875 chipset board. Not all drivers were available, but there were no resource conflicts or other such annoyances.

Edited by LoneCrusader

basically ich3-s and m would be the last to support windows 95 ( as fas as the chipset portion goes ).

Technically no. The last Intel chipset with official 95 support was the 845 ICH4 Pentium 4 chipset. I have several 845 chipset based boards that have working 95 drivers for every single device except the USB2.0 conrollers.

If you're just looking for chipset support, it is simple enough to create INFs (or modify those for later OS'es) to properly name all of the devices. The problem comes when other devices on the board no longer get along well with Windows 9x, whether it be integrated Audio or Network cards, or more obscure non-configurable things like the ACPI controller. I have successfully used Windows 95 without any such problems on an Intel 875 chipset board. Not all drivers were available, but there were no resource conflicts or other such annoyances.

thats interesting that you got up to ich4 chipset drivers working, i was only able to find up to ich3-s and ich3-m in the packages, but i guess i haven't looked enough up to this point :). looking at the list of intel chipsets on wikipedia indicates ich4 was brought out in 2002 so it does make sense that windows 95 was still supported as i read somewhere that windows 95 still received updates till december 31, 2002, and not 2001, or at least, some of the hotfixes i have, link files to dates of 2002 and newer, the one im looking at right now links to 2004, q837209, with all this said, i do thank you for bringing up that ich4 is also supported on windows 95, although i work more on laptops now, i now a newer chipset to work with on w95 desktop builds, but would ich4-s and ich4 be the same in driver support? reason being is that the recent laptop i worked with, the dell inspiron 600m with 855gm or pm chipset, i was not able to find a driver for the smbus which is usually updated after installing the inf update on older chipsets, but i guess that answers my question on ich4-s vs ich4, ich4 IS supported, ich4-s is not? 

btw, did you use ide drives on that 875 chipset or sata in compatiblity mode / legacy mode? would be nice to to use a board like that and have sata drives in ide mode.

Edited by cov3rt

As far as I know there is no real difference between the variations of ICH4, although I have never tried to run 95 on a laptop, only desktop systems.

Search for versions 2.90.009 and 3.20.1008 of the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility. One or both of these I know supports 95 and contains the ICH4 INF's; I just can't remember which one I used.

I've never tried to use SATA drives with a PATA IDE board. I've never had a need to do so, since I have a large stockpile of PATA drives. I know these boards have the necessary settings to place the drives in Legacy PATA mode, so what you're looking for should be possible. Some early onboard SATA controllers came with 9x compatible drivers until the SATA controllers became integrated into the chipset. See the Intel D845PEBT2 board for reference.

As far as I know there is no real difference between the variations of ICH4, although I have never tried to run 95 on a laptop, only desktop systems.

Search for versions 2.90.009 and 3.20.1008 of the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility. One or both of these I know supports 95 and contains the ICH4 INF's; I just can't remember which one I used.

I've never tried to use SATA drives with a PATA IDE board. I've never had a need to do so, since I have a large stockpile of PATA drives. I know these boards have the necessary settings to place the drives in Legacy PATA mode, so what you're looking for should be possible. Some early onboard SATA controllers came with 9x compatible drivers until the SATA controllers became integrated into the chipset. See the Intel D845PEBT2 board for reference.

wow, that is a nice Intel D845PEBT2 motherboard with sata ports with release information mentioning september 2002 and ich4, i thought 2003 was the earliest for sata ports in motherboards but i guess intel implemented them a little earlier, i also thought ich5 was the earliest for sata ports but that board uses them with ich4, btw, i checked those two chipset software utilities but basing off the devlist, it only mentions up to ich3, nowhere does it mention ich4 and no windows 95 folders within the package. the one i use does use windows 95 folders under the name of win95cur and win95old with the same devlist info, although i renamed the chipset inf package, so i dont know which version it is anymore. are you sure there are ich4 drivers specifically listed for windows 95 or maybe they are not listed specifically, but still work to internally suit ich4 builds? 

wow, that is a nice Intel D845PEBT2 motherboard with sata ports with release information mentioning september 2002 and ich4, i thought 2003 was the earliest for sata ports in motherboards but i guess intel implemented them a little earlier, i also thought ich5 was the earliest for sata ports but that board uses them with ich4, btw, i checked those two chipset software utilities but basing off the devlist, it only mentions up to ich3, nowhere does it mention ich4 and no windows 95 folders within the package. the one i use does use windows 95 folders under the name of win95cur and win95old with the same devlist info, although i renamed the chipset inf package, so i dont know which version it is anymore. are you sure there are ich4 drivers specifically listed for windows 95 or maybe they are not listed specifically, but still work to internally suit ich4 builds?

Be sure to note the difference I pointed out between the third-party add-on SATA controllers that have 9x drivers as with the ICH4 boards, versus the ICH5 and up boards that have the SATA controllers integrated as part of the chipset. For the later ones you will have to run in Legacy PATA mode always or have rloew's SATA patch in order for them to work with 9x.

I was confused for a few minutes by the folders inside the chipset INF packages myself. The folders you see inside are only containers for ".CAT" files, which I have yet to figure out any useful purpose for. Windows 95 does not use these, hence no Windows 95 folder. When you actually run the SETUP program it should unpack INFs to the Win95Cur and Win95Old folders you mentioned. The 845 chipset should have it's own properly named INF, but there may also exist an "ALMADOR.INF" and "BROOKDAL.INF" - these were some early code names for ICH4 development and contain the same data as the finished ICH4 INF if I remember correctly.

i ran the hddb exe file, it brought up a similar device id indentifier like the unknown devices i use but did not connect to the web for a update and gui. i did not find any unknown devices in the list, however, it does list more detailed device id's that i can possibly look up to see if i can find a working driver. 

does this hddb tool actually go on the web and find updates for windows 98SE though?

Sorry for the late reply, timezone's fault (and my cat's too).

I'm afraid you misunderstood the utility of the tool. It does not search the web for drivers - it merely reads the registry and displays the information found in there.

It's possible that Win95 behaves a little differently than 98 and later. When devices are detected and no drivers are found for them, those devices should appear as 'Unknown device' in their corresponding sections. Their VID & PID or VEN & DEV, if known, will be displayed below as a hint for the user so they know what drivers to look for.

When an Internet connection already exists, the application tries to silently download the current vendor and device ID database from www.pcidatabase.com (may not be the most up-to-date list though and behavior may change in subsequent application versions) in order to be able to provide the aforementioned feedback.

If there is no Internet connection, the application will use an internal database or - if previously downloaded - the database (VendorID_DB.txt) found in application's folder. The USB_devices.txt database is not updated currently.

Sorry for the late reply, timezone's fault (and my cat's too).

I'm afraid you misunderstood the utility of the tool. It does not search the web for drivers - it merely reads the registry and displays the information found in there.

It's possible that Win95 behaves a little differently than 98 and later. When devices are detected and no drivers are found for them, those devices should appear as 'Unknown device' in their corresponding sections. Their VID & PID or VEN & DEV, if known, will be displayed below as a hint for the user so they know what drivers to look for.

When an Internet connection already exists, the application tries to silently download the current vendor and device ID database from www.pcidatabase.com (may not be the most up-to-date list though and behavior may change in subsequent application versions) in order to be able to provide the aforementioned feedback.

If there is no Internet connection, the application will use an internal database or - if previously downloaded - the database (VendorID_DB.txt) found in application's folder. The USB_devices.txt database is not updated currently.

a lot has happened from the other day, i replaced windows 95 on the laptop with windows 98 to see if i could get more support which i couldn't get it to work properly, could not find a working sound driver still, for some reason java 1.5.22 that would work on previous builds wouldn't install completely, it would just freeze the pc at near of end of setup where only one bar was left i believe, i eventually got a older version of java to install, i believe 1.4.19 AFTER deleting all java linked files in the find option and uninstalling any of them in add or remove programs but net 2.0 didnt want to install and i just didnt want to work with the pc anymore so i decided to install windows 2000 SP4 to see how it would function and it didnt even fully install windows 2000, it got stuck on the starting up windows 2000 logo part with i think 10 bars where i tried to restart the system a few times with the same results so i just decided to install windows 7 and currently, its in the gui right now but the windows update is taking a long time, i did increase the ram to 1.5 GB ram before installing the os. it was 1 GB on windows 98 and 512 MB on windows 95. i find it interesting that it ran with less problems on windows 95, than on 98, and 2k. the good part is, at least i have the drivers that did work on windows 95 as i may plan on testing it out on the same laptop again sometime in the future, although windows 98 would be better because of the better support of wdm. i will have to see. 

• 1 month later...

well now i found out that the intel chipset software installation utlitiy i've been using mostly in the past is version 3.30.1010, which is newer than the ones you mentioned lonecrusader. however, i think i remember using two versions on the same computer where the older version actually installed some other drivers or devices in device manager so the ones you mentioned are probably needed to install everything. im not sure which laptop i used, i think it was the 855GM chipset which i installed on windows 95 but it had the smbus driver missing where i couldn't find the right package at the time to install the driver for it, but i think perhaps an older inf or package that i haven't tried may take care of it. ( correction, it was either the 845mp or mz chipset ) also not relevant to this specific thread but i thought i just post it here as i don't find it absolutely necessary to make another thread for it but i haven't found a proper working driver for the cisco mpi350 mini pci wireless card for windows 95, the oldest one i found and tested was version 1.26 in 2001 but gives a code 2 of device failure in device manager. the semi good news is that the text document lists windows 98 in it so im fairly sure it will work at least on windows 98SE. 

Edited by cov3rt