Strange mouse behavior on an LCD monitor

Foxbat

To test:

1. Modify original monitor driver and install. Reboot.

2. Create and apply custom resolution(s) such as 1920x1199 (one pixel difference) that can override the EDID. Reboot.

3. Replace the monitor with a more resiliant one. Enjoy. :)

What video card is in the Win7 system? You might need a similar one in SE.

MSI GeForce GTX 970. Too recent, not gonna work. My 98 system doesn't have PCIe.

Hmm...I just had an idea, try using VBEMP, or revert back to standard VGA 640x480.

VBEMP provides no harware acceleration. I need the system to be fully functional with nothing nerfed, otherwise, it would defeat the purpose of using 98.

To test:

1. Modify original monitor driver and install. Reboot.

2. Create and apply custom resolution(s) such as 1920x1199 (one pixel difference) that can override the EDID. Reboot.

3. Replace the monitor with a more resiliant one. Enjoy. :)

1. I couldn't get my modified drivers to work.

2. Haven't had much luck in messing with custom resolutions in the past. I'll give it another go this time around.

3. The next alternative monitor that fits my specs start in the $1000 range, so I bought the $500 Dell monitor. It has to be one single monitor to share with 98 and 7. In order to meet the requirements of my line of work, I had to get rid of my beloved CRT and deal with some pet peeves of an LCD. Works well with 7, but not optimal for 98. It's either one or the other. Can't have both--everything's a compromise.

Edited by Foxbat

Both video cards are GeForce, but different chipsets....

Contact Asus and MSI concerning DVI-D compatibility with the two different GeForce chipsets. The GeForce4 might not fully support all features of the latest version of DVI-D. If this is a known issue, their engineers (of either company) might have a (unsupported) software utility for you to try.

As for a workaround, once the monitor has been booted with Win7 and is working correctly, don't power it off! Let it hibernate when the PC's are off.

@ Foxbat:

It's just a hunch but the monitor may use EDID extensions which may not be recognized by the 98 driver.

I have a very raw and incomplete script that reads EDID data from the registry and another one that dumps the registry data to text files. Comparing the registry data between 98 and 7 might shed some light (or not). I could compile and upload these if you want. Done, check my repository, the EDID folder.

What exactly did not work with modified drivers: wouldn't install at all or got installed but wouldn't make any difference?

Overriding EDID with custom resolutions  is a bit different in 9x than in NT-based Windows. I couldn't fully understand it myself and didn't pursue the matter further after resolving the issue with Hanns-G.

Thing is, if EDID extensions are the problem you may never get to fix it under 9x unless you find a driver that can cope with them.

Edited by Drugwash

It's precisely because of the non-working Phoenix tool that I stepped up to create my CROWE. ;)

Phoenix just freezes in my 98SE when trying to get the data from registry (no matter which KernelEx compatibility I set it to) so it's practically useless on a 9x system.

As for edid-rw, that would eventually be useful for EDID data correction and reflash, but who would go to the lengths of installing and configuring a Linux/Ubuntu machine, then reading EDID data, editing with a hex editor - wouldn't it be better doing it directly in a humanly-readable interface? - and finally writing it back to the monitor on the I2C interface?

Anyway, your efforts are deeply appreciated and it's for good reason that you're entitled as The Finder. :)

Wow, thanks for all the responses. The Win9x community is still as active as ever! That's a lot of info to look over.

As for a workaround, once the monitor has been booted with Win7 and is working correctly, don't power it off! Let it hibernate when the PC's are off.

Only as a last resort. Years ago, I got into the habit of powering off the surge protector when closing out for the night or prior to leaving to keep all the connected electronics from wasting power. Good habits are hard to break.

@ Foxbat:

It's just a hunch but the monitor may use EDID extensions which may not be recognized by the 98 driver.

I have a very raw and incomplete script that reads EDID data from the registry and another one that dumps the registry data to text files. Comparing the registry data between 98 and 7 might shed some light (or not). I could compile and upload these if you want. Done, check my repository, the EDID folder.

What exactly did not work with modified drivers: wouldn't install at all or got installed but wouldn't make any difference?

Overriding EDID with custom resolutions  is a bit different in 9x than in NT-based Windows. I couldn't fully understand it myself and didn't pursue the matter further after resolving the issue with Hanns-G.

Thanks for the script. I will try it when I have the chance.

For the modified drivers, I could not get 98 to accept the inf. It doesn't see it, and always go back to the generic driver.

When I went to change custom resolutions, that option is not there anymore after switching to the Dell. I guess I can't change it with this monitor.

That's all the time I have for now. Life's getting busy again, so I will have to spread this out over time.

Custom resolutions might not be available until you install a proper driver for the monitor.

You may use Monitor Asset Manager from loblo's links to build an inf for the monitor if the modified one won't work.

Completely disconnecting the PC unit from power will drain the BIOS battery rather quickly and you might find yourself with the BIOS default settings at some point, which may cause hardware redetection and possible conflicts in Device Manager or even lockup. That's a worst case scenario, of course, but it's best to be aware of this.