I Know You Lose Media Center, but...

NoelC

...Do you also lose the ability to play DVDs in Media Player if you upgrade an MCE system to Win 10? 

Or by some miracle do the additional codecs survive?

If they're lost, is there any way to port them up into Win 10?

-Noel

Well - you need to test it ;)

You need the latest Media Center Files (from 8.1 if possible), need to put them to their logical place - and run dependcy walker (you maybe need to register dll. & .ocx and reboot first ...)

At good old XP WMP - you needed to register an dll file to playback DVD´s - maybe this file help in 10 too ?

Good luck...

Yes, I need to do the testing and investigation.  I wondered whether anyone else had been down the road.  And yes, I understand the ;).  Touche.  :)

I don't actually want Media Center.  What I'd like to do is to run Media Player with whatever codecs get added by the MCE upgrade.  I've always liked Media Player.  Simple, to the point.

Another item on my big list of things to do...

-Noel

This is actually one of the few changes I don't care about because:

1. I didn't ever need or use Media Center. I just plugged an HDMI cord directly into my video card if I wanted to play something on my TV.
  2. I don't play DVDs/Blurays with my PC. I play in my TV's bluray player like everybody else.
  3. Hypothetically, even if I did play DVDs/Blurays with my PC it would be with VLC which comes with its own set built-in codecs.
Edited by ptd163