Is having different context menu styles whilst using the same VS a pro

MDJ

Hello,

I‘m having a potential problem in Windows 10 as in different places I see differently styled context menus. Sometimes I see old context menus instead touch friendly ones. As an example, I‘m adding a screenshot where you can how context menus are shown in different places.

MDJ

post-385317-0-44983200-1439242159_thumb.

Edited by MDJ

People who are visiting here just post a screenshot of your context menu in a Firefox / Notepad / Resource hacker so I could see whether I‘ve a problem or not.

I see the same as you.  You don't have a specific problem. 

Many of the posts in this forum are people discussing ways to improve the UX [lack of] theme.  The extensive set of tweaks required to make a Win 8.1 system more integrated haven't yet been developed/polished for Win 10.  It may never be possible to do so, assuming Microsoft keeps the target moving like never before (something they've promised to do).  At this point most folks are now conditioned to be happy to have a context menu at all.  Welcome to 2015.

I see no reason any longer to expect that multiple applications should share the same theme.  At one time that was deemed important, but no longer is that true.  To be brutally honest, an "integrating" desktop that strove for a unified usability standard and a consistent look and feel, was last important around the time of early Windows 7.  Since then Microsoft has led the charge against integration with such innovations as ribbons in some windows, borderless applications like Office and Visual Studio, and now "Modern" Apps.  You know that they could have made the chrome around Modern Apps match the rest of the theme if they'd wanted to.

Since Windows 7 active DISintegration has been - and quite clearly still is - the rule.  And we're supposed to like it.  At the very least we're not supposed to notice.  You've broken that rule by noticing.  Therefore you will be labeled a hater.

There are quite clearly folks at Microsoft who believe that dropping all the way back to simple text on flat rectangles of color is a necessary "return point", after which they feel they can develop the "next big thing".   And even color is now falling out of favor and text rendering has become inconsistent.

The golden age is gone.  Whether there will be a platinum age in 20 years remains to be seen.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Thanks for such informative explanation! I would always notice small changes around the UI but wouldn‘t ever think of combining everything into whole. I guess, I just simply loved how everything‘s structured. Well, we‘ll see what the future‘s holding for us. At least, we still have our 3rd party application developers who save us from Microsoft mistakes!

Edited by MDJ

You're welcome.

Not long ago I ran across, on the web, a "style guide" that was published by Microsoft for designing Windows applications some years ago - possibly around the time of XP or Vista, I'm not sure.  But it was both very complete and very explicit, really nailing down everything from look and feel on the screen to how to set up controls.  I think it may have been somewhere under here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff657751(v=vs.85).aspx

How something like that could just be thrown out the window by Microsoft...  Clearly it is an act being done on purpose.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

My Firefox context looks a little different, but I guess it's because I use an older version; 37.0.2!

Explorer and Notepad have the same context as yours. 

Edit: delete image

Edited by Aloha