You will downgrade to the abomination like it or not

TELVM

Thanks.  I figured that must be the case up through Win 7 at least.  My understanding is that you can change components - as long as you don't change too many.

I wonder about 10.  Now the activation seems to be all the more tied to the hardware.

-Noel

Yes and no.

At least in XP there was a (rather complex) "voting system", see:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128378-hardware-changes-and-windows-activation/

The way it works/worked, see the source of the info:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

a given category had more or less "weight", the two "categories" connected to hard disk are/were of "low impact" and in the case of a clone only one of the two would be affected, as the volume serial number would anyway be the same.

jaclaz

There are also such things as RAID configurations that offer redundancy from failure.

The most redundant RAID system that i've experienced is MIrrored.  However, with Win 10 I have become concerned about the operating system self destructing as has happened several times.  In that case, both mirrors would be done in.  Mirrored RAID works great for hardware failures.

Your point of a Win 10 clone is well taken.  I've only cloned XP thru Win 7 systems, HDD to HDD and HDD to SSD.  BIOS software did scan the hardware change and modified the BIOS configuration but with minimal time needed (seconds or less).  The clonig itself takes time, but much less than recovery from a complete rebuild or a backup.  I admit that I've not cloned a RAID system.  So new projects to try, (1) Clone a Win 10 system and (2) clone a RAID system.

The only clone issue was when an SSD SATA clone was an S3 interface and the SATA controller was an S1 interface (it was like 2 people using different languages trying to comunicate).  However that SSD clone booted on a USB adaptor with no problem.

Oh, the challenges of Win 10 open up new vistas.  Who knows, soon someone may land a rocket booster standing upright!  We live in a time of mind-stretch.

Bud

someone may land a rocket booster standing upright!

Project Redstone, right?

The Mercury Redstone 1 launch did exactly that.  OK, so it didn't fly very far (4 inches).  When it cut off, prematurely, it settled back on the pad and remained upright.

-Noel