You will downgrade to the abomination like it or not

TELVM

WCCF Tech: Intel and Microsoft joining hands in making a Windows 7 unfriendly ecosystem - Skylake Removes Support for USB based Windows 7 Installation

"... You might be thinking that one can always take the bootable DVD route and even though research indicates that dependence on optical drives is diminishing by the second, it has its own caveats. You better hope that your motherboard has a PS/2 port because even while installing from a DVD, the USB ports wont work (during the install setup). If you have just one PS/2 port you will have to switch your PS/2 based mouse and keyboard as required through the entire process. All this means that Windows 7 will be very very troublesome for people to install and in most of the cases, people will consider it not worth the effort. Even if you do get it to work, the lack of EHCI means there might be unforeseen compatibility issues in the future. Effectively, from Skylake, and thanks to Intel’s spec upgrade, Windows 7 is now officially an obsolete OS ..."

Anandtech: Intel Skylake Z170 Motherboards

"... One big shock will be for Windows 7 users. By default, the Z170 chipset and BIOS will not support full USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller (EHCI) mode. This means that for a number of circumstances, USB devices will not work unless an XHCI environment in play.

In our testing, this means that in order to install Windows 7 you need to do the following:

· Navigate to BIOS
· Enable ‘Windows 7 Installation’ or ‘EHCI mode’, Save and Exit.
· Have your Windows 7 image on an optical disk. USB sticks will not work!
· Install the OS as normal via the optical media. Install OS drivers/USB 3.0 drivers.
· Disable the BIOS option.

This is done for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it helps reduce the size of the BIOS for more customization. It also aids moving users to AHCI capable operating system installations. For everyone else, it is a bit of a headache. As far as we can tell, almost all motherboard manufacturers (at least the Tier-1s) will have this option in the BIOS to enable Windows 7 installation ..."

Edited by TELVM

Firstly, it helps reduce the size of the BIOS for more customization.

Please read as "in order to have more things to later block because they are unstable or not suited to customers' access". :whistle:

A BIOS used to be 128 or 256 Kb and motherboards booted just fine, then they became 512 Kb, and then 1024 Kb, now they are  up to 16 Mbytes and they say they need to remove OS/Device support in order to save space? :w00t:

jaclaz

Does this impact USB booting MS DOS?

It needs to be seen, probably not.

The issue here seems that Windows 7 does not include "native" USB 3.0 drivers, which is something that has already caused more than one problem, but one can integrate them fine (provided that Intel will make them available for Windows 7 of course):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170454-windows-7-slipstream-usb-30-drivers/

http://codeabitwiser.com/2014/03/how-to-install-windows-7-with-only-usb-3-0-ports/

jaclaz

A BIOS used to be 128 or 256 Kb and motherboards booted just fine, then they became 512 Kb, and then 1024 Kb, now they are  up to 16 Mbytes and they say they need to remove OS/Device support in order to save space? :w00t:

Hey, the instructions are bigger than ever before.  :)

-Noel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Found on my travels:

Windows 10 and Skylake processors were ‘designed together,’ says Intel’s Kirk Skaugen

... "This is something that only happens once every decade or so," opines Skaugen while describing the perfect synchronicity lol-027.gif in the release of Windows 10 and the sixth-gen Core processors. It’s rare for a brand new operating system to coincide so neatly with a new CPU generation, and the shared hype is likely to drive positive sales for both Microsoft and Intel. But there’s more to this coincidence than mere serendipity. Skaugen says Intel has been working on the Skylake architecture for more than four years, and it’s collaborated with Microsoft on generating some synergies lol-027.gif along the way ...

"To install Windows 7 on Skylake Z170:

1. Install your SATA HD or SSD in another computer, (old rig perhaps?)

2. On this other computer, boot from your WIN7 Installer USB or CD. (90% of the time will recognize the disk to install windows)

3. Begin your Windows Install.

4. Only run the first portion of your Windows 7 install, the portion while you are booted from the USB or CD.

5. Prevent the computer from rebooting, soon as it shuts down cut power.

6. Remove Sata drive from the old PC and Install it in your z170 system.

7. Boot up your New z170 system selecting the Drive you just set up if you have multiple installed, the drive is primed to accept whatever system it boots into and the z170 chipset/win7 will auto-update registry to match.

Voila! The z170 chipset recognizes all the drives without issue in the bios and will even try to boot from them, its the win7 installer that doesn't recognize the drives through the z170 system. I have done this on 4 z170 systems now and it works every time."

• 1 month later...

Hey, has anyone tried the Asrock or Asus mobos solutions?

(the first one in theory should work for every brand; no idea about the other).

My plan would be to:

1- get a legit key;

2- download a Win7 SP1 U iso (with SHA-1 check);

3- apply patch (drives?) to it;

4- write ISO to usb;

5- install Win7 from usb and with usb peripherals.

Edited by phaolo

• 1 month later...

as soon as i saw the title on this thread i knew i was home and i joined. all i needed to hear was microsoft and free in the same sentence to know all kinds of bad was afoot. as far as BIOS size goes, idk, im a fiddler and like robust menus. what they need work on is the docs. 3000 words and the best they have is "enabling the flux capacitance buffer module will enable the flux capacitanc buffer". that being said, how can the size of something burned onto an EPROM be an issue? you ever oppen up an ssd? its all air and one tiny a** chip. it cant be security because uefi is extant, and if its a boot time thing you coud do better by getting rid of all the MSoft "how many times i hit the R key" telemetry services. i dont even know where my cd thingy is atm. this is just dumb. im not biting. last time i did that i ended up with an x-58 mobo because 3 channel was how it was going to go. try to figure out a single good thing you can do with 3 2gb sticks after everything reverted back to 2ch.

... 3000 words and the best they have is "enabling the flux capacitance buffer module will enable the flux capacitanc buffer". ...

Yep :), and the settings are normally:

• Enable
  • Disable

BUT if you have set a password and disabled Secureboot they may become (on some UEFI's only as the U in UEFI stands for Unlike unified):

• Enable
  • Disable
  • System Managed
  • Only on wednesdays

jaclaz