Classic Shell and Resource Usage

Krasivye

StartIsBack is said to be the best alternative to restore the start menu and least resource-intensive. StartIsBack no longer seems to be using the left-over code that is still present in Windows 8.1 however. Could someone please indicate how StartIsBack is superior to Classic Shell? My strongest concern is their resource usage as I really do not care about additional features besides a proper start menu as we have known from Windows 7.

This is a legitimate question. I am not trying to badmouth either programs.

Edited by Krasivye

On my system, Classic Shell uses more RAM (+8MB), additional process (ClassicStartMenu.exe), reads more from disk (+1MB) and generally opens more objects, threads and handles in explorer.exe process.

SIB++ on the other hand on Windows 10 can eliminate SearchUI process (-30MB of RAM) and reduce ShellExperienceHost RAM usage (-10MB).

That's on x86; on x64 difference can be a bit more pronounced.

Could you tell me if SIB+ also uses less resources than Classic Shell on a Windows 8.1 machine?

Is it possible to keep the original start button with SIB+? The start button seems to be a bit bigger from what I have seen on screenshots and videos while I would prefer to keep its original size.

In case anyone is wondering, I have decided to go with SIB (StartIsBack) in the end and I am extremely satisfied with my choice. My experience has been better than with Classic Shell that had a noticeable opening lag. SIB comes as just the start menu as we have known from Windows 7, without the gimmick. This has made SIB the obvious choice for me. Unfortunately, I am unable to speak for all of the alternatives besides SIB and Classic Shell, but I am sure SIB is one of if not the best of the start menu solutions out there. I do not regret my purchase and probably will not anytime soon.

Sure, Aloha. I have set it up to be as native as possible though, so I am afraid that you will not find anything in particular over the screenshot found on www.startisback.com. I hope it helps you with making the right decision.

iYlNeqH.png

Edited by Krasivye

Thanks, Krasivye.

It helps a lot to know the reason why the orbs on my SIB appearance settings don't have the same size as those on your screenshots! It's because I have chosen size medium (125%) for text and items on the desktop in Windows Display. You chose the default size (100%), right? Found this only by gazing upon the text on your picture!

Oh. That is interesting to hear. My DPI is indeed set to 'Smaller - 100%', although 'Medium - 125% (default)' was the default on my laptop.

It however does not sound like intended behaviour for the button being unable to adapt to a 'custom' DPI setting. I hope that a developer is able to resolve your issue soon.