Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

• 4 weeks later...

On 7/6/2017 at 10:32 AM, Tripredacus said:

There is always people saying that MS is trying to be like Apple

Looks like I busted Microsoft, with Windows10S, basically the new RT, instead for the x86 arch! Received word that the Microsoft Store bans third party browser engines, like iOS!

Ironically, MacOS might be much better!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

As far as OS is concerned.... their focus is not going to be on desktop or on mobile but mobile we can say they just are not interested in creating a competing operating system. Now they are all about servers and online services that mobile devices can access.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure I'll have some deeper impressions soon. I finally have joined the realm of the living (dead) and got a new workstation that has Windows 10 Enteprise installed. As much as I'd like to remain in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category, seeing how my job requires some Windows 10 crap, I figured it was worth a shot. I still kept my old computer tho, so I'm not Windows 7 free... yet.

After several weeks to a few months after finally deciding to bite the bullet and installing v1803, I can say I got used to it. Even the lack of pure Win7 Aero (couldn't find any suitable AeroGlass theme I'd like).

I don't see any performance improvement, but it seems more stable.
Some minor annoyances I disliked on Win7 are fixed here.

I guess it's ok.

Apparently they fixed broken ICopyHook::CopyCallback function in 1809. I take it that won't ever be backported to 1803 via a cumulative update, despite the fact we're talking about a broken Windows API function?

They always break something basic, one build breaks Visual Studio extensions, other makes mouse cursor jump at places in programs utilizing ListView control when horizontal scrollbar is present and you click inside of the list etc.

What's broken this time?

"The overall execution of dark theme across Windows is poor; an opinion re-enforced by the recent introduction of a dark theme in MacOS Mojave. On its first move, Mojave appears to have magically gotten the concept pristinely materialized systemwide. Windows 10, on the other hand, has had a dark theme for 3 years and exceptions are still the norm. This seems to be the case with just about every aspect of Windows 10’s design."

https://www.onmsft.com/news/its-here-our-hands-on-review-of-the-windows-10-october-2018-update-video

This is what happens when a company relies on amateurs for beta testing instead of trained and experienced professional programmers.

Bugs still happened, but they seemed to be much less severe and much smaller in scope (notable exceptions to this exist, I'm sure... I just can't think of any :) )

There's a lot to be said about waiting a year or more for a piece of software to be tested and properly matured (and thus properly debugging it) before releasing it to the public. All this fast-tracking has been lowering the overall quality of most software considerably over the last 7 years or so. In my opinion, anyway.

And long term stability is important too. Having an OS that constantly updates itself, with no way for the user to control or stop the process, introduces a lot of variables that can make the OS inherently less stable. There is an upside, I suppose, in that important fixes or new features that are genuinely useful can be released much more rapidly. Isn't that what monthly hotfixes were for?

Somehow, we as users of Windows managed to get by with the old, supposedly inferior OS update/upgrade model for many years. What makes this new, rapid release model so much better? So far, all I've seen are countless examples of why it's broken and more difficult to manage (pretty much every time there's an update now, I've noticed that something important breaks, and the update is withdrawn and re released with fixes, where if they'd take the time to test more thoroughly (like they used to), they could've gotten the updates right the first time). Having monolithic update packs, whose contents are inseparable from one another, doesn't help, because one bad update in the pack can spoil the rest of them.

The old model, for any flaws it may have, at least was predictable and mostly reliable.

c

thing is that question "how is it better" doesn't apply anymore
they do what is easier for them, old method meant prolonged support for X version of winblows
now they spit out every few months a whole gigantic crap, and support for previous "build" is gone
and their excuse is simple and effective: you have to use latest

quality = zero

I think @viniferahit the proverbial nail squarely on the head.

It's easier and cheaper to fire hundreds of QA workers, and drop support for all but the latest version, which changes every 6 months.

From a business perspective, it might be a good thing, but the quality of their products is suffering dearly.

Apple, for what it's worth, has had a similar model for awhile now, and their software quality is managing to remain somewhat steady (it, too has suffered from reductions in quality, but not quite as severely).

c