Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

... Maybe Microsoft and its apologists should be considered (and addressed as) "techno-fascists." They gleefully reject choice -- in fact, not only do they choose not to have a choice for themselves, they vigorously defend taking that choice away from everybody else. They're comfortable with being tracked and monitored, and they're OK with a smiling authority telling everyone what they must install on their PCs ...

Quite true.

Man my blood boils whenever some shill pukes out something like 'If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear' in the best gestapo tradition.

IN9cKFbe.png

Herr Flick of the Gestapo from the BBC comedy "Allo Allo"?

... Maybe a devilish deal has been made somewhere and we're actually experiencing the corrupt, evil painted version of Windows 10 up in the attic where things gradually become uglier and more twisted, while the youthful, nimble, spry and sexy Dorian Gray-like edition of the operating system exists in some parallel universe, delighting and enthralling everyone who encounters it ...

^ Heh heh that was sharp. But it exists in this universe, it's Windows 7.

Herr Flick of the Gestapo from the BBC comedy "Allo Allo"?

fsdfsdfdsfdsfdsf.jpg

I met an individual over the weekend that likes Windows 10 when I asked him why he would not say. :-)

Maybe he likes having fewer choices and being told how to run his computer, but is too embarrassed to admit it.  :yes:

--JorgeA

Norton/Symantec joins the Pushy Updates bandwagon:

post-287775-0-54871200-1454995186_thumb.

Last week I downloaded the Norton Security Check as a backup scanner for the dimly regarded Windows Defender default AV. A couple of days later, I went back to the laptop to find the above notice on my screen.

Needless to say, I didn't ask for this, umm, invitation -- all I intended for Norton to do was to run the Security Check, so I could compare it to Defender's results. Note how (just like the latest version of Microsoft's "Get Windows 10" thingy) Norton isn't offering any obvious way to decline the NIS installation. If you click on "Install Options," you get a new window where the ONLY option is to tell it where (not whether) to install NIS.

You can (and I did) hit the X button on the upper right, but we gotta wonder how many people in this situation will be confused into installing something that they didn't necessarily want.

Sleazy, sleazy.

--JorgeA

This, my friend, is known as "The New Normal".

And it's brought about by people (unlike ourselves) who just accept that things are as they are and don't demand better.

Avast went down this path a couple of years ago.  It's pretty ironic when the security software takes lessons from the malware it is supposed to prevent.

-Noel

On another subject, if you think anything in a "cloud" is "safe", you're possibly just a bit brainwashed.

-Noel

When my Sony Ericsson went into the washer -a few years ago - I really love IF the cloud been around! Besides I said "...saved safe"

Fair enough.  I don't mean to be critical.  Please bear in mind I know people who thought the "cloud" had "safely" backed up their data but weren't actually able to recover all their files.  I'm pretty sure there had been folks on this forum who have said as much.

Do yourself a favor (if you haven't already)...  Figure out how to back your own data up and take the time to do it.

The safety of our data is not someone else's problem, and frankly (speaking as one who has his own data backed up) I don't really want anyone copying any of *my* data to the "cloud".  I wouldn't even say a thing about it but for the fact that some asswipe at Microsoft now thinks that such activity is required.  An option I could turn off - no problem.  Settings sync and onedrive installed out of the box and it being necessary to go figure out some really geeky ways to kill them off - problem.

-Noel