Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Yeah, So this 'Redstone' update, the new 'OneCore' is available, but what it can do is a mystery.

Like you've said, where are the actual new features I might actually want.  Well, not yet apparently.   What ever secrets they have are yet to be disclosed.

I've tried OSx in a VM, I could almost jump ship..... there are some things I could really appreciate if Windows could handle opening (say) a picture folder and do real time resizing without showing me a spinning blob.

Will they ever introduce something actually useful? I've said before, nothing ever has come through Windows update that improved MY computing experience.

I've disabled ALL windows updates on my systems for now and ever for some time. I'll take all responsibility if anything goes wrong.   Nothing yet.

(If a little known program like 'Clover' can do tabbed windows in explorer, why can't M$?, this is the kind of thing they never give us.. it even bloody works in Win10!)

Time for Beer.

That's a big gap between what should be and what is. -noelc

Agreed 100%. I wish they would return to the proper development of the desktop and put metro aside as an optional feature that dose not hinder desktop productivity. If they ever made metro capable of running Android apps I might use it once in a great while. I no longer use a smart phone but there were some "time waster" apps that I enjoyed. They also need to understand that they can not continually keep shifting their users around every 4 months, breaking/removing software/configurations ect.

also @ralcool

I will have to check clover out it looks interesting. I like the fact that it is using chrome like tabs!

Microsoft expands Get Windows 10 program to domains, publishes opt-out instructions

As before, PCs running Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8.1 Enterprise, and any embedded version of those operating systems aren't eligible for the free upgrade and thus will continue to be immune from the GWX update.

But domain-joined PCs running Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, or Windows 8.1 Pro that are configured to receive updates directly from Windows Update will begin seeing the GWX taskbar icon shortly. Domain-joined PCs that get updates through another mechanism, such as Windows Server Update Services or System Center Configuration Manager, will continue to be off-limits.

This is really crossing the line, now businesses are subjected to this nonsense? I can only imagine how smoothly that will go.

Just crazy.

Fresh reports of obnoxious behavior by Win10:

After countless times setting up my default file associations , Windows 10 keeps resetting to the Microsoft default programs. The system constantly discards my settings and reverts back to MS defaults. I have this issue with many of my graphic files especially .tif. I have looked on other forums and many others are experiencing the same or similar issue. Any help would be appreciated. This is a REAL PITA.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn, eventually, that this turned out to be a "bug" or "mistake" of some sort on Microsoft's part. What would surprise me would be to hear of a mistake that happened to respect the user's preferences or actually increased his choices (such as, say, a "bug" that made it possible to use native Aero Glass or that allowed users to decide which Windows Updates to install).

--JorgeA

Forigve me my harsh words, but one must have to be a complete RETARD and MORON to “upgrade” to Windows 10 after the GWX malware lesson (it’s all there: trying to trick the user, constantly reappearing despite uninstalling, no clear cancel button or never-bother-me option, resetting registry keys, "accidental" forced installs).

The W8 debacle was bad enough, but Microsoft’s actions of the last six months show that they have not one single iota respect for the opinions and settings of their users.

Given how updates on W10 work (forced), you have to have trust into MS that they will do the right thing. But how the heck should I trust them after witnessing their scamster-like behavior with GWX?

They behave like Nigerian scamsters and they still expect that people trust them that they will handle privacy and updates with care AFTER THIS?

Seriously, that’s the ultimate sucker-test.

Harsh names (recalling that "Metrotard" got me banned from the Answers forum), but IMO your emphasis is warranted.

I watch every single blocked connection attempt now, from all three systems I run (7, 8.1, 10) and I can't help but get the impression - again and again - that the OS is trying to sneak things out that most folks wouldn't see.

I've implemented my deny-by-default firewall setup because I no longer trust the OS or the vendor of same, and even being VERY conservative, I'd say my loss of trust is warranted.  The ONLY bright spot - if you can call it that - is that at this point Win 10 actually seems to be slightly more likely to actually shut up after having had privacy settings made than its predecessors.  BUT, many of those settings were reverted upon installation of 10586, so they probably figure they'll overtly follow settings NOW since they'll be "accidentally" reset LATER anyway.

-Noel

Just wow. I have to ask are enterprise customers actually interested in 10? I know the article pointed out they are interested in the security features, but if the system is garbage it self (also very nosy I doubt MS is going to not use anonymous telemetry on enterprise systems)why use it especially if you have a setup that just works.

Note which systems where usage dips downward on the weekends at gs.statcounter.com.  Those are the systems that have the attributes businesses want.  I'll save you the trouble:  XP and 7

The ones that spike upward are the systems consumers use and businesses are resisting:  8.1 and 10

There's a powerful message there.

-Noel

Just wow. I have to ask are enterprise customers actually interested in 10? I know the article pointed out they are interested in the security features, but if the system is garbage it self (also very nosy I doubt MS is going to not use anonymous telemetry on enterprise systems)why use it especially if you have a setup that just works.

This raises a couple of questions.

First, in view of the following --

Through July 17, 2017, Skylake devices on the supported list will also be supported with Windows 7 and 8.1. During the 18-month support period, these systems should be upgraded to Windows 10 to continue receiving support after the period ends.

-- are they changing the rules to say that, for these processors, Windows 7 will "not really" be supported through the long-advertised 2020 end date for its support cycle?

And second, what (if anything) does this mean for Linux? In recent years, concerns have been expressed off and on that at some point it would become impossible to run Linux on new PCs due to some hardware "security" feature.

--JorgeA

I'd like to see clarified what the specific differences would be between:

• An ultra-modern system running Windows 7 in a way that's NOT considered "supported".
  • An older system running Windows 7 that's "supported".

Does the "unsupported" system just not receive updates?  Can it not be activated at all? 

I'm aware of some issues with installing, which I believe have been worked around.

If it's just that the "unsupported" system not receiving updates, well, that sounds like a feature given Microsoft's current trustworthiness.  Let's not forget there are already folks deciding to stop all updates on their Win 7 systems.

-Noel

Mary Jo Foley has additional information on MSFT's changes to Windows 7 support:

New Microsoft Windows support changes: What they mean to business users

She thoughtfully points out that these changes could actually have a negative effect on PC sales, at least in the short run:

It's not clear to me and others what effect this change will have on businesses moving to Windows 10. I could see some businesses pushing back their timetable to move to Windows 10 until they are ready to migrate users to newer hardware running Windows 10 from the get-go.

I also wonder whether today's new policies will result in fewer sales of new Skylake PCs, at least to business users who have been expecting to be able to downgrade to Windows 7 on these systems and use them for some period of time (longer than mid-2017) before moving to Windows 10. Maybe we'll see a run on enterprises snapping up Broadwell and Haswell PCs that can run Windows 7 and Windows 10 (?).

In the next paragraph, she provides the official Microsoft line --

The official answer as to why Microsoft is doing this is in order to provide users with a better computing experience. The argument is Windows 7 wasn't built to take advantage of new capabilities in recently introduced PCs. And the newest Windows PCs weren't built with Windows 7 in mind; they were built for Windows 10.

As Directions on Microsoft analyst Wes Miller tweeted "For some time, what was a good PC before Windows 10 arrived, and what is a good PC now, have been diverging...". He added: "Welcome to the world of tightly engineered hardware and software. Sometimes getting new software means saying goodbye to old hardware."

-- which is ridiculous on its face.  :puke:   What is it about the upcoming new CPUs that makes Win10 so much preferable to Win7, that CPUs from, say, 2012 didn't have? What worthwile features are we talking about, exactly?

But she goes on to display a healthy skepticism about this sloganeering:

Others believe the real reason for the change is Microsoft's desire to wean more users from Windows 7 and 8.1 more quickly and avoid a repeat of the "Windows XP forever" scenario.

--JorgeA

EDIT: clarification

Edited by JorgeA

>the "Windows XP forever" scenario.

Ooh, how AWFUL that some folks would just like to keep using what works for them.  We can't have THAT.

Seems to me it's a case of trying to grow the business beyond reasonable boundaries using unreasonable tactics.

-Noel