Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

^^ In addition to the spoiler (which BTW is entirely true), my reaction was that Capossela is a patronizing jerk. Quit the talk about how you're so "concerned" about our safety, and mind your own f@#&ing business. Stop loving us and start respecting us and our preferences. :realmad:

Kudos to Gordon Kelly for posting this article. :thumbup

The first comment at the top says a lot about the, umm, "advantages" of Windows 10:

After I upgraded, my video card no longer supported my second monitor. MS tech support said “Oh, well, actually, we didn’t check for that.” So now I can’t use my second monitor *which worked fine* with Windows 7.

And then after downloading an update from Windows Update, my primary monitor (the laptop’s display) no longer worked past the boot screen.

Microsoft’s response this time was “Oh, well, sometimes we don’t get the hardware configuration right. Sounds like you should just get a new laptop that runs Windows 7.”

Yeah, "just" get a new laptop. A$$holes.

Another commenter is right on the mark:

The only “risk” and “peril” in staying on Windows 7 is that if enough people and companies choose to do it, then Microsoft will fail to meet its market penetration goals for Windows 10, which means that it won’t be able to use and sell usage data in the way that it was planning to do.

--JorgeA

And then after downloading an update from Windows Update, my primary monitor (the laptop’s display) no longer worked past the boot screen.

that happened to me too a while back. I think it was with Vista the update kept coming back (I may not have hid the update or forgot) I made good use of my recovery partition lol.

as for Mr. Capossela I can't wait for the fallout to occur. When dose the the life cycle for Windows 7 end? MS should support the software till the end of it life span (read some ware probably on these forums MS was not making certain security codes for venders to limit support Windows Vista, however, the OS still has of few years on life style also W8.0 it is BS) Support you D*m software!

Well, yes... then again, this other page is also relevant, and particularly noteworthy are the following dates:

Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 3 (SP3), Extended Support will end on Jan. 12, 2016, meaning the last updates for IE6 SP3 shall be issued next Tuesday !!! :)

and Windows Embedded for Point of Service SP3, Extended Support will end on April 12, 2016, when IE7 updates shall be issued for the last time... :w00t:

Hence, after April, the oldest IE still supported ought to be 8... as always with MS, the more interesting info must be read between the lines... :D

Bumped into this, which reminded me of NoelC's tests showing W7 being actually faster handling files than subsequent crap.

Geeks discussing performance and optimization of their Samsung 950 Pro Nvme M.2 SSDs (one of the latest and fastest consumer gadgets):

"Has anyone noticed if the 950 runs better in Windows 8.1 or Windows 10? I am getting a new Z170 MB and I 6700K for Xmas. I also have my 950 Pro. I am debating which OS to use, W10 or W8.1"

"I've used it on Win7,8.1,10 and 10 ver.1511, They all feel the same to me. Maybe Win7 feels a little better to me."

"For me too, little better with Windows 7"

"...I also seem to get best performance with Win 7 and Samsung NVMe drivers..."

http://www.overclock.net/t/1579581/official-samsung-950-pro-owners-club/380#post_24722480

BTW installing Se7en on these gadgets requires extra tinkering to add nvme drivers.

Well, yes... then again, this other page is also relevant, and particularly noteworthy are the following dates:

Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 3 (SP3), Extended Support will end on Jan. 12, 2016, meaning the last updates for IE6 SP3 shall be issued next Tuesday !!! :)

and Windows Embedded for Point of Service SP3, Extended Support will end on April 12, 2016, when IE7 updates shall be issued for the last time... :w00t:

Hence, after April, the oldest IE still supported ought to be 8... as always with MS, the more interesting info must be read between the lines... :D

One comment and one question:

The comment:

I'm wondering how (if at all) this relates to the POSReady hack that makes it possible to continue getting updates for XP until 2019.  :unsure:  Sounds like it's still better to go that route, since you'll receive updates for an extra 3 years (2016-2019).

The question:

Is it possible to download IE7 updates for this Windows Embedded, and then install them in XP or in Vista?

--JorgeA

Keep in mind OS Support is a very arbitrary thing.  Boil it down to real-world terms, and it's basically this, from Microsoft:

(paraphrased)

We built a buttload of bugs and vulnerabilities into the operating system we sold you before, and we occasionally fix a few of them and call that "support".  We expect that you forgot already that it wasn't good enough to buy initially without our promise to "support" it.

We leave as many problems in it as we can so we can hype up the next operating system, into which we're building all new bugs, and tell you how the old one is now perilous to use.  We regularly release "security updates" where we maximize that fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

We tell you when "end of support" is so that you can plan to send us more money.  Now we also download nagware onto your system to make sure you don't forget to do so, because some of you have been lax about sending us your money and information from which we can make money.  We won't tolerate that!

-Noel

Bumped into this, which reminded me of NoelC's tests showing W7 being actually faster handling files than subsequent crap.

Geeks discussing performance and optimization of their Samsung 950 Pro Nvme M.2 SSDs (one of the latest and fastest consumer gadgets):

As word gets out that 7 is actually faster than 10, no doubt Microsoft will try to stomp on the information with marketing hype and bluster. Shills and fanbois on various forums will insist that 10 is the fastest and greatest. But it'll get harder and harder to resist the truth as the tests get duplicated by a variety of people and subsequent results confirm the earlier ones.

--JorgeA

Maye people aren't as sheeplike as we fear:

Smart-Home Gadgets Still a Hard Sell

(May be behind a paywall)

Computer chips and wireless communications are being added to everything from doorknobs to dog collars. But the cascade of gadgets for the so-called smart home, which is due to accelerate at this week’s Consumer Electronics show, seems to be running well ahead of consumer desires.

Early technology adopters have snapped up Internet-connected versions of devices like thermostats and smoke detectors. But some market researchers say mainstream consumers haven't yet found reasons to buy.

[...]

Indeed, one of the key attractions of the trend called the Internet of Things—the ability to control products remotely using a smartphone or PC—seems to be a turnoff for some buyers. They fear the devices could be hacked by intruders or used by vendors to gather data about users’ behavior. A survey of 28,000 consumers in 28 countries being released Tuesday by Accenture LLP found that 47% of respondents pointed to security and privacy as potential obstacles to adopting such technology.

Among people planning to buy smart-home gadgets in the next 12 months, a significant number chose to be cautious about using them or postponed purchases, while 18% had quit using them or terminated services for lack of security guarantees, the consulting firm said. The survey found that only about 9% of respondents—about the same as a 2014 survey—planned to purchase connected devices this year.

A reasonable concern, given that wireless is an inherently insecure technology. Who wants thieves or cops (all too often, the distinction is merely formal) to have the ability to unlock his front door remotely?

If the Internet of Things market fails to take off, it will be very bad news for Microsoft's Windows 10 strategy. The whole OS is premised on the idea that the world is moving toward ubiquitous computing embedded in the stuff around us. But if consumers aren't interested, then the strategy collapses. :thumbup

--JorgeA

The comment:

I'm wondering how (if at all) this relates to the POSReady hack that makes it possible to continue getting updates for XP until 2019.  :unsure:  Sounds like it's still better to go that route, since you'll receive updates for an extra 3 years (2016-2019).

Yes, it's related... but if one has the POSReady hack but no IE8, havin IE6SP3 instead, the last update for IE6SP3 comes next week. All others continue until 2019 (exept for IE7, which also stops further on, this year).

The question:

Is it possible to download IE7 updates for this Windows Embedded, and then install them in XP or in Vista?

Absolutely!  :w00t:  From the MS Update Catalog, as always! Don't know whether they'd install on Vista if unmodified, though...   :dubbio:

I did the same test NoelC did and I also found out that Windows 7 is faster then my purchased copy of Windows 8.1, I'm running it with SP1 and no Windows update enabled, it's great!. even other older Windows operating systems are better then what's out there today.