Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

10 minutes ago, vinifera said:

can't find decent article about this JULinux,

Yep, that's the whole idea about "obscure" as opposed to "well-known" or "widely adopted" ;).

jaclaz.

Microsoft makes Cortana unkillable in Windows 10 Anniversary Update -- but you can disable her

The distinction seems to be that the UI for disabling Cortana is being removed even as it remains possible to get rid of it via Group Policy or in the Registry.

Bottom line: the less-technically inclined will get sucked into the Cortana matrix, with no evident way out; staying free of it requires increasing amounts of expertise. :angry:

--JorgeA

Tim Sweeney: Microsoft is trying to kill Steam with Windows 10

The risk here is that, if Microsoft convinces everybody to use UWP, then they phase out Win32 apps. If they can succeed in doing that then it's a small leap to forcing all apps and games to be distributed through the Windows Store. Once we reach that point, the PC has become a closed platform. It won't be that one day they flip a switch that will break your Steam library -- what they're trying to do is a series of sneaky manoeuvres. They make it more and more inconvenient to use the old apps, and, simultaneously, they try to become the only source for the new ones.

--JorgeA

Just imagine for one second if Steam managed to develop their own OS instead of a shell- gamers could finally leave the strangle hold of Microsoft.

M$ did the reverse, they created the Xbox, originally based on PC hardware, to lock in a hardware platform you could know everyone had.  A custom P3 laptop cpu and fast Nvidia graphics.

But later once PCs surpassed that base line- that is when the much hyped but luke warm 'Games for Windows' idea seemed to surface,  That should have been a Xbox game loader.

Pop in the original game into your PC, and Windows would play it. Like an extension even for the Media Centre Edition. The Xbox OS was a modified Win2000 anyway IIRC.  But No.

As usual their myopic attitude means they never considered my idea. And this Xbox app for Windows 10 still isn't the same thing. Tell me when I can load an Xbox 360/One, etc game disc into my Windows 10 machine. Decent i7 something should be fine.

They couldn't even do a Media Centre for Xbox either properly, if at all?...So 3rd parties had to do it..... Like XMBC for Xbox. And the hacking community in general. ;)

Blah, Always fun to bash M$ over a cold beer.

its so funny and sad at same time for me to read all this
after longhorn/vista fiasco, MS's goal (well one of main goals) was to de-componentise the OS
hence why tools like vlite, rt7 exist...

heck it was more clear when win7 introduced "removal" of .net and IE components
but with winblows 10, they are glueing it all back together so nothing can unstick it

total reversal of policy...

Malware alert: Bob 10 Anniversary Downgrade Pro edition is now behaving like malware and AUTO downloading and auto installing random promoted apps from the Store because they SECRETLY changed some policy settings to make them exclusive to Enterprise and Education editions: http://winaero.com/blog/microsoft-locks-some-group-policy-options-to-enterprise-editions-in-windows-10-anniversary-update/ Oh well, I only test this crap because it can be forced some day and I want to be prepared. Back to 8.1 with Classic Shell.

1 hour ago, xpclient said:

Malware alert: Bob 10 Anniversary Downgrade Pro edition is now behaving like malware and AUTO downloading and auto installing random promoted apps from the Store because they SECRETLY changed some policy settings to make them exclusive to Enterprise and Education editions: http://winaero.com/blog/microsoft-locks-some-group-policy-options-to-enterprise-editions-in-windows-10-anniversary-update/ Oh well, I only test this crap because it can be forced some day and I want to be prepared. Back to 8.1 with Classic Shell.

I can hardly believe it -- not even a registry tweak will work anymore??

This is going to annoy professionals and businesspeople who bought Pro precisely because they expect it to give them greater control over the OS. Now they have to put up with all sorts of bloatware, just because the Lords of Microsoft decreed that it must be so.

The basic agreement between Microsoft and its customers used to be, "You pay us for the product and you can do what you want with it." Now it's changing over to, "You pay us for the product and we tell you what you can do with it."

Microsoft's increasingly imperious attitude is offensive and outrageous.

--JorgeA

The fire is spreading...
Microsoft faces new lawsuits over aggressive Windows 10 free upgrade push

That criticism has spread around the world, including China, where there have been murmurs of possible legal action over Microsoft's upgrade efforts...

Now, Microsoft is facing further legal action over the handling of its free upgrade offer, both at home and abroad. As The Seattle Times reports, three men filed a lawsuit against Microsoft in the US District Court in Florida last week, claiming that the frequent 'Get Windows 10' upgrade prompts were in violation of laws regarding unsolicited electronic advertising, and potentially in breach of Federal Trade Commission regulations on 'deceptive and unfair practices'.

Microsoft is also being sued in Haifa, Israel, over allegations that Windows 10 was installed on PCs without their owners' consent, which the lawsuit argues is contrary to Israeli law.

Both of these lawsuits are seeking class action status, which - if awarded - would open up the company to considerably wider, and costlier, litigation than dealing with a handful of individual cases.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA
added link

13 minutes ago, JorgeA said:

The basic agreement between Microsoft and its customers used to be, "You pay us for the product and you can do what you want with it." Now it's changing over to, "You pay us for the product and we tell you what you can do with it."

No. It's more like: "You pay us for the product and you can do what you want with it... to no avail!"

buehehe.gif

Well, this statement is however accurate ;):
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3100358/windows/you-cant-turn-off-cortana-in-the-windows-10-anniversary-update.html

Customers can expect the same great search experience powered by Bing and Microsoft Edge with the added benefit of Cortana’s personality

Though it does sounds to me more like a menace than anything else ...

jaclaz

They call it an "agreement" because presumably in some past iteration you agreed to agree in the future with whatever their lawyers agreed with management to include, however disagreeable it may be to life on Earth.

Hollywood needs to make a movie where the laws get changed to provide an open season on Marketers and Lawyers for a day each year.  It'd be a blockbuster, and besides, the poor zombies have been hammered to death.

-Noel

After having some real-world time put in on Windows 10 finally, I have decided that I will use it on my next work computer. I would prefer Enterprise 10586, even if it doesn't appear there is an LTSB of that build.

My only complaint about the Cortana/search box is that you need to click into the field twice before you can type in it.

19 hours ago, JorgeA said:

Microsoft makes Cortana unkillable in Windows 10 Anniversary Update -- but you can disable her

The distinction seems to be that the UI for disabling Cortana is being removed even as it remains possible to get rid of it via Group Policy or in the Registry.

Bottom line: the less-technically inclined will get sucked into the Cortana matrix, with no evident way out; staying free of it requires increasing amounts of expertise. :angry:

--JorgeA

Fact is: unkillable is a "famous last word". One just has to keep killing 'em faster than they can get better, until they do stay dead!

overreaction.gif