Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

6 hours ago, xpclient said:

:D:D And another one that adds insult to injury: :lol:

That'll teach you not to leave them on automatic disable the Windows Update service.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Yet an Explorer pop-up window often goes BEHIND the window being dragged to or from.

When I imagine the development plans at Microsoft I'm somehow reminded of an old, ditsy saying I heard in the 1970s:  "Do something to somebody quick!"

-Noel

Microsoft appears to have reached a new low with the Win10 downgrade patches. Now instead of hinting or quietly suggesting that a given update has something to do with moving your PC to Windows 10, there is a new one floating around, KB 3103709, that literally tells you nothing about itself. Woody Leonhard reproduces the following exchange with Microsoft tech support:

Skepticaluser_2016: I'm reluctant to install the update since there is no information regarding it on the Microsoft website

Judy D: Okay… Actually this is a free upgrade to everyone. If you are using win 8.1 now, you are one of the qualified to upgrade your PC to windows 10… To check if the update is already installed, go to the Start screen. If you see a Search button near your account name at the top of the Start screen, you already have the update.

Skepticaluser_2016: So this update is the beginning of the install for Windows 10?

Judy D: Yes… The update is gradually rolling out to everyone with a PC running Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1 over a period of several weeks. If you get automatic updates but you don't see the update yet, wait a few days and check again.

Skepticaluser_2016: Ok, thank you. I'm glad I asked. I already went down that road and had to format my computer because Windows 10 made it effectively unusable.

Judy D:That's awesome:)

Woody passes along speculation that the TSR was actually a bott. Considering the bizarre reply to the user's report that Win10 had rendered his computer unusable, that sounds plausible.

Or maybe the Microsoft folks just don't have a clue.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA
add URL

I wonder...  Do you think the Microsoft minions sit around and dream up new ways of shoehorning Windows 10 into the systems of all those AWFUL end users who are trying to put them out of a job?

I just checked all my systems...  KB3103709 has neither been offered nor installed.

-Noel

I set up a Vista x64 Ultimate virtual machine today because I need to do some product testing on it.  I haven't run Vista in a while.  I've brought it up to SP2 and got all updates installed.  A nice walk down memory lane...  What a calm, polished, no-nonsense OS Vista was by comparison to the swill that's pushed on us today.

People probably remember Vista as slow, but it's not really...  Sure, it might have been that way back in 2006, but with the supercomputer CPU and GPU hardware we have today it's downright snappy!  

It really brings home the impression that Windows 10 is slower and more bloated than anything that has come before!

-Noel

4 hours ago, NoelC said:

It really brings home the impression that Windows 10 is slower and more bloated than anything that has come before!

That's because Win 10 actually *is* slower and more bloated than anything that has come before... :yes:

There’s a special edition of Windows 10 made for the Chinese government

My first thought when reading this headline was that maybe this special edition contains enhanced tracking and monitoring of users. But check out the following passage:

There is reportedly not too many differences between Windows 10 Chinese government version and the one for the rest of the world. The former has less consumer apps from Microsoft – though exactly what was omitted wasn’t made clear – and more management and security controls (and possibly a different aesthetics); it’s still capable of running any Windows program, however.

[emphasis added]

Maybe the Chinese edition comes with Aero Glass as an option. :)  And the possibility of its coming without UWP crapps pre-installed would be another plus...

--JorgeA

10 hours ago, JorgeA said:

There’s a special edition of Windows 10 made for the Chinese government

My first thought when reading this headline was that maybe this special edition contains enhanced tracking and monitoring of users. But check out the following passage:

[emphasis added]

Maybe the Chinese edition comes with Aero Glass as an option. :)  And the possibility of its coming without UWP crapps pre-installed would be another plus...

--JorgeA

Something was seemingly lost in translation, it is more wishful thinking at this stage than anything else.

MS China signed a contract with a Chinese IT company:

https://translate.google.it/translate?sl=zh-CN&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=it&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fcompanies.caixin.com%2F2016-03-24%2F100924085.html&edit-text=

During the 2015 World Internet Conference Wuzhen, China Electric Division and Microsoft announced the signing of the memorandum, a joint venture company.Among them, 51% stake in the company will account for China Electric Division, Microsoft accounted for 49%. The primary objective of the joint venture is in line with the introduction of "safe and controlled" operating system requirements.

He Lok Fu said that at present, the two sides have signed a contract, the company is registered, the relevant staff of the joint venture were also nominated.

"For us, the joint venture is an important milestone." He Lok Fu said, "We hope that this joint venture able to use its existing partners and trainees, to create a platform for the Chinese government to provide all we have some application services. "

jaclaz

Microsoft OneDrive storage changes

Ah, the joys of depending on outside parties for your storage needs:

The storage limit for all free OneDrive accounts will become 5 GB. If you currently have a free account with a 15 GB storage limit, that limit will reduce to 5 GB. All new free accounts will have 5 GB storage. The 15 GB camera roll storage bonus will also be discontinued for free accounts.

A new 50 GB plan has replaced our previous 100 GB and 200 GB paid plans.

We’re also no longer planning to offer unlimited storage to Office 365 Home, Personal, or University subscribers. Starting now, those subscriptions will include 1 TB of OneDrive storage.

Hah, imagine if you'd bought a 3TB backup drive and one day all of a sudden it sends you a notice saying, "Sorry, starting next month this will become a 250GB drive."

In contrast to ownership, the subscription model shifts control from the user to the supplier.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA
separate posts got merged

4 hours ago, JorgeA said:

Hah, imagine if you'd bought a 3TB backup drive and one day all of a sudden it sends you a notice saying, "Sorry, starting next month this will become a 250GB drive."

In contrast to ownership, the subscription model shifts control from the user to the supplier.

--JorgeA

To be fair, the 3Tb backup drive will NOT send you a notice saying "I'm gonna brick myself next month" BUT it will become a 0 Gb drive nonetheless. 
In other words with greater power come greater responsibilities...

jaclaz