Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Been away for awhile, but is Win 10 no longer "The Worst C*** Ever"?

Just because have 9 computers that have 1 or more Win 10 OS's under test hasn't changed product that much.

Newest computer has XP Pro, Win 7 Pro and Win 10 Home on it.  Just for comparison testing.

Win 10 21H1 does seem to be usable if you lock down privacy, use non-MS browsers, add blocker extensions, change search engine, use a program to remove left over software debris, only save to PC and use email that doesn't save your emails to profile you.  Does seem to need a lot of housekeeping.

• 2 months later...

Windows Defender is the second thing I always disable when I reinstall or upgrade. UAC being the first.

Telling me non malicious software is bad. *%("@ you windows!

All I have for protection is;

custom hosts file, clamwin av portable, spybot portable, spyware blaster portable, loads of services disabled, 99% tasks disabled, firefox w/ ublock and few other addons and a large tweaked prefs file, w10privacy, blackbird, o&o shutup10, lots of reg tweaks, custom firewall rules and common sense.

I don't let windows control anything that I can do myself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2021 at 2:05 AM, RanCorX2 said:

Windows Defender is the second thing I always disable when I reinstall or upgrade. UAC being the first.

I usually disable windows defender using Defender Control app
and I run Win10 LTSC 2019 which get updates (excluding feature updates) & support until Jan. 2029
very rarely have problems with using the Win10 LTSB/LTSC editions and are stable

Edited by erpdude8

• 2 months later...

Just yesterday, suddenly there is a stock price indicator on the taskbar. It is for Amazon and for the life of me I can't figure out how to change what stock symbol shows on there. Even worse, sometimes it is shown, sometimes it shows some other symbol (Apple) or goes away completely. I don't mind that a stock symbol sometimes appears next to the tray, but it would be nice if I could control how it looks.

4 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Just yesterday, suddenly there is a stock price indicator on the taskbar. It is for Amazon and for the life of me I can't figure out how to change what stock symbol shows on there. Even worse, sometimes it is shown, sometimes it shows some other symbol (Apple) or goes away completely. I don't mind that a stock symbol sometimes appears next to the tray, but it would be nice if I could control how it looks.

Oww, come on, that would be normal if you actually owned the OS, nowadays it is "their" OS and there is a (sophisticated?) AI in Redmond that chooses what you will see (or not see) on the taskbar.

Welcome to the new normal.

jaclaz

13 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

We already know Valentina doesn't have good taste, since their first post on this forum was to post a spam link. :rolleyes:

I don't know :unsure:, one can be a spammer (or anyway professionally do bad things[1])  BUT have good taste, after all.

jaclaz

[1] I mean, think of art thieves or forgers, they are not "good" according to common society standards, yet they are on the same level (if not on a higher one) of many art professors and critics.

One would think that a good art thief or forger would be one that doesn't get caught immediately. The art thief analogy would be closer to one where the thief goes up to the painting, at the busy time of the museum's day, with no concern for hiding themselves from security or other people, just walks up and tries to take it from the wall.