Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

• 3 weeks later...

>Kind regards, I hope I helped / conveyed an important message.

I wonder what actual importance your message:

9 hours ago, stealthero said:

I personally use a version called LTSC, supposedly it is meant to have better gaming performance, though I do prefer it as it isn't as cluttered by any means. 

has. :dubbio:

Maybe a relevant anecdotal importance. :unsure:

ONly for the record LTSC is a version of windows (Enterprise ONLY) that is not normally available outside large corporations that have Volume License agreements with MS, and has - last time I checked -  a non-trivial cost per license.

On other news, my Aston Martin Vanquish :w00t: handles much better than most Fiat Panda's I see around ... :whistle:

jaclaz

LTSC is far less I/O intensive than regular Home/Pro editions of Windows 10 due to the lack of UWP apps installing and updating themselves, as well as a reduction in telemetry. Thus, LTSC is far more usable than the latter two OOB, especially on 5400/7200 rpm HDDs.

But I think you can get the same experience from Windows Server as that also lacks the UWP junk, has a far smaller storage/RAM footprint by default, and doesn't require enterprise licensing.

My father had grown so unsatisfied with Windows 10 that it was finally replaced by Ubuntu this week, mostly due to the I/O problems. It should no longer be licenced for PCs with only HDDs, as it's basically equivalent to Vista with 512 MB of RAM. And that Vista Ready nonsense went nowhere quickly...

LTSC is not optimal for modern gaming hardware, specifically due to the fact that it is so far behind in build numbers. This is a problem for video cards and their drivers, as well as some other situations. I do work with LTSC, where 1809 is the latest build. There are other compatibility issues in general between video cards, software and CPUs with retail Windows builds, and the LTSC SKUs share these problems.

• 3 months later...
On 4/20/2020 at 3:27 PM, Tripredacus said:

LTSC is not optimal for modern gaming hardware, specifically due to the fact that it is so far behind in build numbers. This is a problem for video cards and their drivers ...

Meanwhile in Redmond ...

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/microsoft-kills-windows-10-driver-search/

they seemingly removed the “search automatically for updated driver software.”

jaclaz

I've never used that option. I always just search for drivers manually in the update catalog.

Although i should point out that nearly all of my Windows 10 usage is done with integration in mind, and on a network with no internet access.

1 hour ago, Tripredacus said:

I've never used that option. I always just search for drivers manually in the update catalog.

Although i should point out that nearly all of my Windows 10 usage is done with integration in mind, and on a network with no internet access.

I found the new un-feature interesting as it is among the things that Windows 10 fans like to use as argument to say how Windows 10 is "better".

Even if I normally use one of my custom made sticks to NOT touch Windows 10, sometimes I have to, and when I happened to actually need an updated driver, historically that provision always failed in providing a proper driver,  

jaclaz

I will believe it. If you search for drivers on the catalog, it is super complicated to find the correct one. Especially since the catalog likes to sometimes put internal or code names for releases in the OS version column. Just yesterday I ran into a problem finding a Broadcom WLAN driver. I downloaded the most recent one for Windows 10 current version, went to install it and it wouldn't take it. Then I look into the INF and it has XP to 8.1 specific install sections, not a Win 10 section or even one of those generic amd64 sections. So if the catalog has Windows XP drivers marked as Windows 10 drivers, you can be sure that Windows Update probably was doing the same thing... which might explain some of the issues people have with drivers from WU in the first place.

Does removing "Search automatically for updated driver software" also mean OS won't try to update certain drivers automatically on its own if driver updates via Windows Update are turned off?

I ended up configuring group policy "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these Device IDs" to prevent Windows from replacing default mouse driver. The custom driver changes the base sensitivity and would really be only useful with the combination of the extra program that must be installed that changes USB polling rate.

The driver is from Windows 7 era and any Windows version beyond Win7 would crash soon if you change the polling rate with that combination of software. So I use default driver with hidusbf to change the polling rate. The mouse is called HP Laser Gaming Mouse with VoodooDNA.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After many moons later, I am back in this forum.

I am linking something not related to Microsoft or Windows, but nevertheless it is of great importance to understand where is the future of IT:

IBM to split into two companies by end of 2021

From the end of 2021, IBM will be only Cloud and AI, dismissing all the old IT (named as GTS).

Edited by Agorima

• 6 months later...

I gotta give Windows 10 some credit recently, the enablement packages make it really easy to keep one install for more than 6 months unlike builds before 1809. Especially with how 21H1 is also an enablement package, its very easy to rollback, you just uninstall the update.

Windows 10 has gotten better in certain scenarios, but in most cases is still a disaster. 21H2 is completely eyecandy changes.