Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

OK, you got me there. I meant to edit that to read "Including Windows 10:" Sorry. :blushing:

Anyway, it would appear that 1500 Insiders actually were affected by this bug, but for some reason, MS didn't catch it despite said insiders submitting bug reports.

Source.

c

• 2 weeks later...

Latest cumulative update for Build 17134 (aka. April 2018 Update) also fixes the issue with broken ICopyHook interface (dragging and dropping files from programs like FileZilla to Explorer works again) and the issue with missing ellipsis in various places where the text is too long to fit (it occurred only when extra length didn't exceed 3 characters).

• 4 weeks later...

I'm noticing on my main PC where I got Windows 10 (Build 17134 (1803)) working relatively well that it's significantly less aggressive in page file usage compared to Windows 8.1. Having a browser opened with a bunch of tabs for several hours and one virtual machine running, almost maxing out 4 GB of RAM; when I get around closing everything, there's much less disk activity and programs close several seconds faster. It was pretty common for my usage on Windows 8.1 that I had whole 2 GB of physical memory free and at the same time, a whole gigabyte of junk in the pagefile.

Transitions from/to certain fullscreen applications to/from desktop, most notably those reliant on DXGI/D3D11 are smoother, particularly with multi-monitor setup. And so are the resolution switches; the screen on which the resolution is changed doesn't result in the screen temporary blanking (only goes blank if refresh rate is being changed). There are less occurrences of other screens blinking when resolution on one screen changes. It appears Windows 10 specific graphics drivers play a part in preventing blinking in certain scenarios, mostly noticeable when resolution is changed on behalf of some fullscreen application that is using some 3D graphics API.

Some of these things related to graphics are probably result of how the compositor (Desktop Window Manager) is integrated, which is still shaky at places. Switching users will move windows on the secondary screens, this one dates back to Vista. Sure you can turn off composition on Vista/7 and live with the screen tearing on the desktop. And ever since Windows 7, when composition is enabled, flickering can be observed when things are drawn with GDI.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17277622/dwm-in-win7-8-gdi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU_zhKZKzNA

The issue described can also be observed in 7-Zip when drawing selection rectangle with the mouse. One really good example with this bug in action is the old Pinball game, the version that comes with Windows XP. Ball just seems to vanish when it's moving at high speed. There's a workaround (compatibility shim/fix) that can be applied on per-application basis called NoGDIHWAcceleration. Compatibility Administrator is needed to apply it, it's part of Windows 8.x/10 ADK or Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.6 for Windows 7 and older. Not sure about the effects on performance with this option.

They also haven't completely tackled the issue with alt-tab/taskbar programs' preview thumbnails being "forgotten". Another thing handled by the compositor. On the positive note, they don't seem to be lost anymore (at least from my experience) when doing regular stuff on the desktop and using power saving functions (sleep/hibernation), though they're lost when certain 3D applications change resolution. Whether it happens or not seems to depend on the combination of used graphics API and settings in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore, more specifically those with FSEBehavior in their name. I've only seen those FSEBehavior settings affect D3D9 applications. Doesn't seem to matter whether GameDVR_Enabled is 1 or 0.

I've spent the last few years on the XP pages of MSFN.org......(still go there BTW).  I built my XP machine in 2005 for the purpose of video and audio editing and the programs (software) that I used were very complicated, yet, over the years, I learned to use them properly and they were a life saver.   I with held moving to any other operating system, and most of all, Windows 10 basically for fear of losing the ability to use this tried and true software that I was accustomed to using.  Well, it became more and more apparent that the time had come to move to the newest operating system and a month ago, I built a new Windows 10 pro 64 bit system with an intel I7 8700 cpu, gigabyte 370 motherboard, Nvidia GTX1070 graphics and 32 GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR4.  Most of my software installed and functioned properly on Windows 10 64 bit.  I used a photo editing software called IMAGEFOLIO 4.5 by Presto for the base of much of my work and discovered it wouldn't install on Windows 10.   I was really frustrated at having to learn to use a new software that did not have all the functions I needed.   I took a gamble and enable "Try & Decide", one of the tools on my Acronis 2019 Image backup software and mounted the image of my windows XP system on my Windows 10 system.  I copied the IMAGEFOLIO 4.5 folder from the programs folder of the Windows XP image to the Programs (x86) folder of my Windows 10 system.   After enabling compatibilty to Windows XP SP3 and checking "run as administrator", I ran the Imagefolio.exe file and "viola".......I am running IMAGEFOLIO 4.5 on my windows 10 system.   The program functions exactly as it did on my Windows XP system and.......I also scan using my Epson V370 Photo Scanner, right into the IMAGEFOLIO window.   The twain functions perfectly with previews and all the functions I am accustomed to.

LIFE IS GOOD......   I know there are many "Nay Sayers" when it comes to Windows 10, but, my experience has been nothing short of perfect.   My system functions faster and with the same software I used on Windows XP.   I wanted to post this for the benefit of any of you who may find that they cannot run certain programs they wish to have running on Windows 10.   Don't give up......use your "thinking cap" and try various alternatives to accomplish your goal.    BTW, here is a screen shot of my Windows 10 desktop.   Looks pretty close to Windows XP and I do not use the "Windows Classic" that was developed for this purpose.   Check the upper left corner and you will see "MY COMPUTER"...... I created a short cut to "My PC" and renamed it "MY COMPUTER"........All the modifications were done in house to accomplish what I needed..........Windows-10-desktop.jpg

Edited by Dclem

@Dclem

It is good to hear you have your PC running as you like without troubles, but unfortunately your case is an exception, maybe IMAGEFOLIO 4.5 didn't make changes to Windows register when it was installed on your previous PC/OS, and it only expanded to its folder location on Programs directory during install, but that is not the case for almost all programs.

alacran

Edited by alacran

22 hours ago, alacran said:

@Dclem

It is good to hear you have your PC running as you like without troubles, but unfortunately your case is an exception, maybe IMAGEFOLIO 4.5 didn't make changes to Windows register when it was installed on your previous PC/OS, and it only expanded to its folder location on Programs directory during install, but that is not the case for almost all programs.

alacran

Yes, I probably am one of the fortunate ones, however, I also believe we hear more from those with problems than those who are not having problems.   This presents a picture of disaster that is exaggerated more than actual.  I admit, I was very frustrated the first 2 weeks after my build just trying to get Windows 10 functioning and dodging all the hurtles and barricades the operating system presented.   Much of my frustration came in the form of not being familiar with the operating system and having no idea where to find what I was looking for to make adjustments.   As far as IMAGEFOLIO 4.5 goes, yes, I was very fortunate that most all of the program's contents were within it's folder, much like a portable app.  Much of what I learned about Windows 10 was what I could find online prior to making the move.   I certainly found folks with lots of problems, but, I also found good advice from others who communicated their experiences.   I just hoped to give someone else some encouragement to try alternatives to getting their system running the way they envisioned.

4 minutes ago, Dclem said:

... to getting their system running the way they envisioned.

Which is the actual logical impossibility.

Everything in Windows 10 is intentionally made to make possible ONLY "visions" that conform (to a certain extent) on what the good MS guy's vision is, by making each and every "customization" a (greater or lesser) PITA or by silently reverting or blocking  it at next update.

And it is only natural that the people that don't have issues are much less vocal than people that have them, after all there is an unwritten and unsigned :w00t: contract about the OS being able to just do whatever an OS is supposed to do.

I mean, noone writes about (say) Ford telling how good it is that his/her new Fiesta engine started this morning, while you might find someone blaming the battery (or the alternator, or whatever) because the car did NOT start this morning.

Cars are supposed/expected to start EVERY morning.

jaclaz

13 hours ago, Paraglider said:

I have upgraded 3 laptops, 1 desktop and 4 VMs to 1809 build from the 1803 build. All have upgraded without problem.

I also have upgraded to 1809 and saw the OS running a new "feature" to erase all old stuff on my profile, fortunately all my documents are always on a separate partition to easily use them from any OS.

Anyway with all comments everywhere about troubles in every update of 10, Do you realy think it is a good idea to be betting every time an update is installed?

And for average users there is no way to stop updates.

alacran

• 2 weeks later...