Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

7 hours ago, NoelC said:

I happen to agree with you, xpclient, but there will almost certainly come a time when Win 10 sports something new that becomes "must-have" - either that or Microsoft will just end.

It won't be a new App, and probably won't be something new in the App arena at all, but something like an ability to support new hardware or an ability to do something we geeks love (e.g., an ability to set up a boot volume with ReFS). ......

Please give me any reason why a knowledgeable technical expert would want this turkey.

-Noel

They wouldn't want this turkey, but I don't think Microsoft cares (nor does any company).  Geeks are no longer the audience.

Take Firefox for example and it's ongoing showdown to XUL-ageddon in November.  A lot of devoted power users think, "Why did Mozilla abandon their original audience"?.  The answer is "Because the audience changed.".  It used to be claiming to be the answer to IE 6 and all of it's problems.  Geeks were a viable crowd to go after.  But no it's the mobile crowd.  They ddn't actually abandon the geek crowd,  as really they were never that committed to them.  That's just where the action was.

I think Microsoft is late to the game on mobility.  I know they can't stay in PC land because they have to be seen by their shareholders as adapting (or at least trying to).  I don't know what I would advise this company :(

Edited by JodyT
Misspelled "cares"

Are you sure that you don't want to change the title of this theread to "Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever" seems that it would be a fitting title now...

I see more and more dejected users here trying to find something positive with Windows 10

22 hours ago, BudwS said:

I have no problems with the Windows 10 computer when it's powered off.

BudwS I haven't Windows 10 but feel like I have dealing with this crap every day...!

21 hours ago, xpclient said:

I don't like malware so I am happy with Windows 8.1. Windows 10 is malware. :P

Xpcleint I haven't had false negatives with Malwarbytes yet regarding Windows 10...but some of the apps have caused problems...

12 hours ago, NoelC said:

I happen to agree with you, xpclient, but there will almost certainly come a time when Win 10 sports something new that becomes "must-have" - either that or Microsoft will just end.

It won't be a new App, and probably won't be something new in the App arena at all, but something like an ability to support new hardware or an ability to do something we geeks love (e.g., an ability to set up a boot volume with ReFS).

Their supreme, utter, obvious marketing failure is that they've failed to win the hearts and minds of technical leaders (e.g., those here on this forum).

It's now less stable than any 2 year old operating system in history, it's not got anything new or exciting technically (where it counts), and it's ugly as f***.  Uglier.

Doing better at ANY ONE of those things could have led to a wider adoption by we geeks.  A lot of people listen to what we say.  If we were to start saying things like "Gee, it's not too cool out of the box but it can be turned into something nice, and so I've adopted it for my own hardware systems" then others would follow.

Those of us in the know just aren't saying that.  Windows 7 is still at what, almost 50% share?  That's just because the fact that Windows 8.1 can be tweaked into something nice isn't well-known.  Pre-Windows 10 systems still account for the MAJORITY of the world's Windows usage.  Think about that.

I've personally had more trouble with my Win 10 test system (on a VM) lately with the Creator's Update than I've had with any prior Win 10 release.  So much so that I've reinstalled it several times, the most recent time being a complete CLEAN install.  I've only JUST BARELY been able to make it to where it will successfully get through a Windows Update, and that's only by leaving almost all the cloud-integration crap enabled.  As a result, it's banging up against my firewall with such URLs as those used by "delivery optimization" (peer to peer Windows Update file sharing), attempting to login via login.live.com, trying to sync settings via settings-win.data.microsoft.com - NONE of which I want it to do.  The tweaks to shut that s*** down leave the system unwilling to complete a Windows Update.

Please give me any reason why a knowledgeable technical expert would want this turkey.

Microsoft stepped over the line a long time ago, and they just keep going!

I'd be willing to pay good money (as I always have in the past) for a decent serious version, but no tech expert I know is even saying that the Enterprise editions are controllable/manageable.

Sorry my frustration is showing.

-Noel

Noel I think you hit the nail on the head l...Microsoft just ends

I keep plodding along helping my customers with this crap and it is sole destroying....can't feel good about the work I do any more...

Windows 10 is clearly a mistake and it is about time Microsoft came clean and admitted that fact...

bookie32

21 hours ago, NoelC said:

Their supreme, utter, obvious marketing failure is that they've failed to win the hearts and minds of technical leaders (e.g., those here on this forum).

They never have had the reason to bother with marketing like that. Because of their market share and channel policies, it is business as usual, they can just force people into the new version and no one can do anything about it. They only had commercials for Windows 10 when it was still possible to purchase a computer with Windows 7 or 8.1 from the OEM (but not retail) market. Now, their advertising is only about specific devices. Some are Surface related, others are really just ads for their featured partners like HP for some model of notebook. And notice that, all the ads I ever see is for mobile devices, never for normal desktops.

28 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

They never have had the reason to bother with marketing like that. Because of their market share and channel policies, it is business as usual, they can just force people into the new version and no one can do anything about it. They only had commercials for Windows 10 when it was still possible to purchase a computer with Windows 7 or 8.1 from the OEM (but not retail) market. Now, their advertising is only about specific devices. Some are Surface related, others are really just ads for their featured partners like HP for some model of notebook. And notice that, all the ads I ever see is for mobile devices, never for normal desktops.

Sure, and you may also want to notice how none (or next to none) are about "working", they are about learning, about communicating, about social networks, about blogging, about playing, but not a single one about someone in an actual office (or factory) at a desk actually doing his/her job through a PC.

Even the very few that are work related, are invariably about "niche" activities carried out from home or from some (clearly artificial and improbable) "studios", here are a few:

https://www.ispot.tv/search?term="windows+10"&qtype=ads&limit=24

This one particularly intrigues me:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wI1F/microsoft-windows-10-angela-makes-clothes-that-make-a-difference

My mom operated for years in the field and Rule #1 was you DO NOT store fabrics touching the floor, Rule #2 was you DO NOT lean them against a wall (and Rule #3 was BE VERY, VERY aware of Rules #1 and #2).

It is also a miracle how Angela manages to move the apparently very heavy table/desk around the room and how there are nowhere scissors to be seen nor (everywhere) paper models ...

jaclaz

The Deeper Impression is that Windows 10 is crap.  However, just waiting for the next release of Insider Win 10 to get back to the "Crap" forum.  The US holiday weekend must have put them way behind schedule for passing the crap.  Didn't really mean that the way it sounds.  :angel

12 hours ago, jaclaz said:

It is also a miracle how Angela manages to move the apparently very heavy table/desk around the room and how there are nowhere scissors to be seen nor (everywhere) paper models ...

jaclaz

But..but it's ALL done in the computer! Don't U see...

(irony)

Not that I use the malware called Windows 10 on a daily basis but if you are a victim who is forced to use this crap for whatever reason, you can remove the bloat and garbage that Microsoft locked down and prevents from being removed via PowerShell:

http://alexappleton.net/post/159702702033/windows-10-pro-remove-wireless-display-media

They use an SQLite database to "protect" the in-box apps from being removed. Just change the IsInbox value of these from 1 to 0 and PowerShell is able to remove them easily. Crap like Wireless Display Media Viewer, Windows Defender Security Center and Mixed Reality Portal can be removed if you have no use for it.

My dad laptop was infected by a malware worser than wannacry namely Windows terrorist edition . The pc is powered by fourth Gen i5 and 8GB Ram with 2GB GFX card but unfortunately it is running slower than a p4 pc with 4GB ram lying somewhere at home .

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, vinifera said:

put android in it :)

Android on i5 ? Does this message is for me? 

Are you taking about Android x86 availableover soarce forge designed for pc?

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:58 AM, xpclient said:

Not that I use the malware called Windows 10 on a daily basis but if you are a victim who is forced to use this crap for whatever reason, you can remove the bloat and garbage that Microsoft locked down and prevents from being removed via PowerShell:

http://alexappleton.net/post/159702702033/windows-10-pro-remove-wireless-display-media

They use an SQLite database to "protect" the in-box apps from being removed. Just change the IsInbox value of these from 1 to 0 and PowerShell is able to remove them easily. Crap like Wireless Display Media Viewer, Windows Defender Security Center and Mixed Reality Portal can be removed if you have no use for it.

Exactly what my re-tweaker script does.  Problem is, do it - forcibly remove those Apps - and the system becomes un-updateable thereafter.  That's new with v1703 "Creator's".

They've finally reached a level where the "inbox" Apps must remain installed or the system just flat refuses to update. 

That being said, it IS possible to disable much of the App infrastructure and tweak the system so that it remains private (I've finally accomplished it) AND have the system remain willing to accept a Windows Update.  That just means more gigabytes of wasted disk space then.

But I can see we're heading for a brick wall straight ahead. 

Once it gets to the point where we get to "don't touch it at all or it will just stop working", I believe I will just stop trying.  I don't use Android or macOS at all now because I have no use for them, and Windows becoming that touchy just seals that deal for it as well.  It will be the ultimate indication that Microsoft has gone where I cannot follow.

-Noel

3 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Another (small) thing that should probably be taken care of (seemingly the good MS guys do not consider it an issue), clipboard access on locked system:

https://hexatomium.github.io/2017/02/15/windows10-clipboard-lockscreen/

jaclaz

Microsoft don't consider that Windows 10 is a problem....so they are not likely to care about any small thing like possible security problems...:D

bookie32