Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

People don't seem to mind because no one has broken into the place yet where MS is keeping all those keystrokes and wireless passwords.

Are you another one who thinks, as I do, that it's inevitable and just a matter of time?

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

2 hours ago, NoelC said:

Are you another one who thinks, as I do, that it's inevitable and just a matter of time?

-Noel

onMSFT.com today: "...Microsoft is not the only one big tech company to be affected by online outages, but this was actually the second time in a month that its services went down for an hour or more. These kind of events always make headlines, but the company usually has a pretty good track record at explaining what went wrong. We’ll keep you informed if Microsoft shares an official explanation for the sign in issues..."

"..Earlier this week, Microsoft online services were hit by another global service outage which affected many consumer offerings such as Outlook.com, OneDrive, Skype and Xbox Live..."

On 3/24/2017 at 11:48 PM, mikedigitize said:

"..Earlier this week, Microsoft online services were hit by another global service outage which affected many consumer offerings such as Outlook.com, OneDrive, Skype and Xbox Live..."

I wonder if Microsoft is using their own Windows 10 software?  Maybe the Windows 10 Update did the update and that caused the outage?  Other end users have sited similar outages during their prime production times?  "What goes around, comes around!"

Certainly they must be using Windows 10 for at least some things.

On the other hand, I'll bet real money that there are still some Windows 7 systems running in the campus at Redmond as well.

I used to be convinced that Windows would never turn bad as long as Microsoft had to use it to develop its own products, along the lines of "the geeks will continue to make systems that are good for geeks",  but I don't know any more...  There's got to be some kind of culture rot that's driving the whole thing down.

I guess the serious 'softies might be running Server OSs.  Or some kind of internal "Ultimate" builds.

-Noel

Doesn't LTSB also have the bloated updates issue? Although due to feature updates not being as frequent as other editions, it may be less annoying. But it's not as sweet as Windows 7 or 8.1's updating used to be (before Microsoft broke that and made it a nightmare too).

Edited by xpclient

Not really-really Windows 10 related, but close enough:
https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/03/doxed-by-microsofts-docs-com-users-unwittingly-shared-sensitive-docs-publicly/

On March 25, security researcher Kevin Beaumont discovered something very unfortunate on Docs.com, Microsoft's free document-sharing site tied to the company's Office 365 service: its homepage had a search bar. That in itself would not have been a problem if Office 2016 and Office 365 users were aware that the documents they were posting were being shared publicly.

Unfortunately, hundreds of them weren't. As described in a Microsoft support document, "with Docs.com, you can create an online portfolio of your expertise, discover, download, or bookmark works from other authors, and build your brand with built-in SEO, analytics, and email and social sharing." But many users used Docs.com to either share documents within their organizations or to pass them to people outside their organizations—unaware that the data was being indexed by search engines.

jaclaz

Many users chose to upload their sensitive information to a site with an explicitly stated goal to "Showcase and discover" documents, and they were hoping for privacy?

It's kind of tough to see where this is Microsoft being bad.  More like people not being terribly sensible.

-Noel

2 hours ago, NoelC said:

Many users chose to upload their sensitive information to a site with an explicitly stated goal to "Showcase and discover" documents, and they were hoping for privacy?

It's kind of tough to see where this is Microsoft being bad.  More like people not being terribly sensible.

-Noel

Sure it is not a direct MS responsibility, but surely it is an indirect one.

What do you think that dumbifying everything produces?

Smarter, more informed people or careless morons? :dubbio:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

It produces sheep.

It might ultimately lead to people being more aware and careful.  That might take a long time, though.

You can be sure that individually the folks who discovered bad guys read their phone number or home address and caused dire consequences are now quite a bit more careful, assuming they're still around.  It's like neglecting to back up your stuff until after you lose it all. 

As a rule most humans don't learn much from other humans.  Not even family.  They need personal experiences to teach them that posting personal data online can have consequences.

-Noel

...some recent Windows 10 KB (and OS releases) broke...

Don't think about the loss of function - that's meaningless since you're not supposed to want things to function any more.  Try to concentrate on how much more secure everyone's systems are now, with that upgraded capability.

Nadella waves hand, "These are not the attributes you're looking for..."

-Noel

Does anyone else get this bug: plug in USB flash drive or similar type of storage device, then try deleting a file from its root. The dialog asking if you want to delete a file should report its size as 0 bytes regardless of the actual size.

Edited by UCyborg

7 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Does anyone else get this bug: plug in USB flash drive or similar type of storage device, then try deleting a file from its root. The dialog asking if you want to delete a file should report its size as 0 bytes regardless of the actual size.

Ironically I have a similar bug whenever I plug in a flash drive however, rather than displaying the size incorrectly a dialog appears saying that I cannot delete the file despite it behaving as though it did; and yes there is no program using the files... Win10 at its finest :rolleyes:

43 minutes ago, Shining Escuridao said:

Ironically I have a similar bug whenever I plug in a flash drive however, rather than displaying the size incorrectly a dialog appears saying that I cannot delete the file despite it behaving as though it did; and yes there is no program using the files... Win10 at its finest :rolleyes:

That's crazy! Do you have any other machine where you can reproduce it? Does it happen irregardless of flash drive used?

About the bug I mentioned, I got it on 3 different machines at home running updated build 14393, plus on a VMware virtual machine with freshly installed latest and greatest build 15063. The strangest thing is, it shows size as 0 bytes only for the files directly on the drive, for files in subfolders, it works correctly. Behavior seems to be identical irregardless of flash storage used, as long as it's treated as regular removable storage media, so MTP doesn't count.

Edited by UCyborg