Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:43 PM, BudwS said:

February must be the month of Love.  That's the best Deeper Impression that comes to mind. :wub::unsure:  :angel

Has Windows 10 been putting up ProFlowers.com ads for you?  ;)

-Noel

This is a bit off topic, but I just registered for a Microsoft Imagine account (provided to me by my school), and I can apparently download all the recent Windows versions (7, 8.x, 10, and their server counterparts) plus some other stuff. What really humored me, though, is this:

58a0f824b335e_ScreenShot2017-02-12at4_01_20PM.thumb.png.bfce263a3acb9843ebfb50ca7c3992a8.png

Despite all their efforts to seemingly erase all the other Windows versions from existence (3.x, 9x, NT, 2k, XP and Vista, plus any variants thereof), I can apparently still get MS-DOS 6.22! A 24 year-old OS!!! :lol:

c

8 hours ago, NoelC said:

Has Windows 10 been putting up ProFlowers.com ads for you?  ;)

-Noel

The point was, "What does Windows 10 have to do with Love?"  Nothing!  Therefore, no posts were listed for the month of February, so Love must have kept the forum topic blank!  That was the deeper impression.

Ah, I got it.  :)  By jove I think you're right, BudwS. 

I was just trying to find some connection - any connection.

I did learn one more thing this month about Windows 10:  Based on some testing and research a fellow photography enthusiast and I have done, it turns out Windows 10's handling of color-management (i.e., the use of profiles for images and monitors to ensure color is output accurately) has backslid.  The Windows Photo Viewer (still actually available in Win 10, but not the default) DID do color-management properly as long as you viewed your photos in a window (it would lose its color-management capabilities if you viewed images full screen though).  Microsoft "fixed" that disparity by making the new Modern Photos App just not do color-management at all.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

15 hours ago, cc333 said:

This is a bit off topic, but I just registered for a Microsoft Imagine account (provided to me by my school), and I can apparently download all the recent Windows versions (7, 8.x, 10, and their server counterparts) plus some other stuff. What really humored me, though, is this:

Despite all their efforts to seemingly erase all the other Windows versions from existence (3.x, 9x, NT, 2k, XP and Vista, plus any variants thereof), I can apparently still get MS-DOS 6.22! A 24 year-old OS!!! :lol:

c

Their picture shows the retail box for the Upgrade edition. :rolleyes:

I remember fooling around with setting up SmartDrv in HiMem with that version back in the mid 1980s, and being stoked when we got cached data transfers to reach 100 megabytes / second on our expensive Intel 80286 workstations.

-Noel

On 13/02/2017 at 10:45 PM, NoelC said:

I remember fooling around with setting up SmartDrv in HiMem with that version back in the mid 1980s, and being stoked when we got cached data transfers to reach 100 megabytes / second on our expensive Intel 80286 workstations.

-Noel

My granny said she use to use z80 in her office where she used to work  in Italy.  She is an BE in electronic engineering from a Japanese  institute, I cannt remember the name . She said it's too easy build a computer by using z80 . A vero board and few other components  are required . I said are you kidding me? She said no .after seeing the schematic I found it easier than raspberry pi.  Really old systems are not as complicated as todays one . Previously old systems used single layer pc now they are multilayer which makes quite impossible to find which component rested in hell so it tough to repair . Commonly capacitor blown are easy to find but think about a realtek  lan ic there is no way to check with multimeter.  

Technology has developed but they forgot to last long .

One thing cheaper smps should be banned for above words .

In 1985 I co-designed the OS and applications for a high reliability communications controller based around an Intel 8085 microprocessor.  The US FAA relied upon that system to carry ASR-9 radar data from dish to ATC display site for more than 20 years.  The system's design lifetime was 20 years but the FAA petitioned to have it extended because all across the country they were still working.  They were built with lots of steel, rack mounted, and needed to be moved with a fork lift.

Tech gear is more powerful nowadays, but is not engineered nor built like it used to be.  That's not to say there wasn't cheap junk back then, though.

-Noel

20 hours ago, Dibya said:

My granny said she use to use z80 in her office where she used to work  in Italy.  She is an BE in electronic engineering from a Japanese  institute, I cannt remember the name . She said it's too easy build a computer by using z80 . A vero board and few other components  are required . I said are you kidding me? She said no .after seeing the schematic I found it easier than raspberry pi.  Really old systems are not as complicated as todays one . Previously old systems used single layer pc now they are multilayer which makes quite impossible to find which component rested in hell so it tough to repair . Commonly capacitor blown are easy to find but think about a realtek  lan ic there is no way to check with multimeter.

Technology has developed but they forgot to last long .

One thing cheaper smps should be banned for above words .

JFYI, a reborn ZX80 (using only discrete components, unlike the ZX81):

http://blog.tynemouthsoftware.co.uk/2016/12/minstrel-zx80-clone.html

jaclaz

On 2/16/2017 at 6:35 PM, NoelC said:

In 1985 I co-designed the OS and applications for a high reliability communications controller based around an Intel 8085 microprocessor.  The US FAA relied upon that system to carry ASR-9 radar data from dish to ATC display site for more than 20 years.  The system's design lifetime was 20 years but the FAA petitioned to have it extended because all across the country they were still working.  They were built with lots of steel, rack mounted, and needed to be moved with a fork lift.

Tech gear is more powerful nowadays, but is not engineered nor built like it used to be.  That's not to say there wasn't cheap junk back then, though.

-Noel

Noel I was in the UK RAF in the 80s, I was a Radar Tech - we were using similar kit, can't remember the type though I think we called it AR1 but it was a GE design built by Marconi and Plessy over here. Not much in wikipedia about UKAD radar though.