Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Indeed. I had forgotten about NoScript (which I've used before), and I installed it today. I have to say that, once I've got it tweaked just so, it really does speed things up. Stuff doesn't look quite as "pretty", but I don't care; all I want is the information (I'd have everything set up to look like it's 1996 if I could, as, in my opinion, the vast majority of sites from that time were simple and concise).

Back on topic, though, Windows 8.1 really does feel sorta like a 7 SP3 once it's pounded into shape.

10 is in a league all its own though, and with it a strange obsession with useless changes that only make things worse. One could argue that it's been going on for decades, but they're now taking it to new heights never before seen in the industry (that I know of).

c

NoScript doesn't help in all cases. You can still come across sites that go into loading loops and slow everything down. I see it most often on Ebay for some reason. Another issue with the modern web is I've been seeing the return of memory leaks. Spending any long period of time on Facebook or Imgur will cause your computer to lock up and open programs to crash.

I see those d@*# flash video adds on cnn and haven't yet found a way to separate them from the real news.
Thanks to those pestering ads, I'll never ever visit Abu Dabi nor S Africa, they show right before, then once more right after each news video!  3_redangry_24frames.gif

I typically have it set up so that videos do not work (or I don't try to make them work) using Firefox/PM and prefer to use Chrome for watching videos. DESPITE the issue of the sound being better while watching a Flash video in PM vs Chrome for whatever that reason is. So in Chrome I use both the adblock and adblock plus extensions. They both are not 100% themselves, and one even has "Exceptions" where an advertiser can pay to have something not blocked. But both running together seem to handle anything in a video. It is very rare (it has happened, but I cannot think of which site it was) where a video would not play because the ad was blocked. I think there are some sites that will disable specific parts of their site from loading (including perhaps the video loader) if an adblocker is detected... One site I know that does that particularly is http://nexusmods.com .

10 hours ago, xman charl said:

....watching that utube video, then their video ad pops up, seems like its just

before the good stuff

my 2 cents

Charl

Here in Sweden almost every newspapper sites have video, nowdays, that starts up as soon U're on the site and they all start with commercials for 30-40 sec.... kick that!

2 hours ago, mikedigitize said:

Here in Sweden almost every newspapper sites have video, nowdays, that starts up as soon U're on the site and they all start with commercials for 30-40 sec.... kick that!

Here, in Poland it's the same! Everywhere crap. And adverts. 

3 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Another issue with the modern web is I've been seeing the return of memory leaks. Spending any long period of time on Facebook or Imgur will cause your computer to lock up and open programs to crash.

I don't go on FB, but I've noticed the same thing in my Web travels. Not sure which sites because I tend to keep multiple tabs open, but the memory usage definitely creeps up to the point where eventually I have to close the browser. Like you, more than once I've even had to resort to a reboot because the computer got so sluggish and no amount of process-killing would speed it back up.

--JorgeA

Another class of mobile tech that seems to be having trouble taking off:

Smartwatches, like tablets, are struggling to become a must-have for consumers

Wearables, like tablets, are struggling to become a must-have for consumers...

[...]

...Early fitness bands have not become a mass-market gadget, which makes understanding how a very personal device like a smartwatch could appeal to a very diverse group of people quite difficult. The combination of always-on and a small screen requires information to be displayed uniquely, both in layout and prioritization. This calls for user interfaces and applications to be rethought.

According to an article in the Dec. 7 print edition of The Wall Street Journal, "global shipments of wearable devices rose only 3% year over year during the third quarter. This is the young category's slowest growth on record," and Apple's "other products" category that includes the Apple Watch had a 22% YOY drop in revenue in the September quarter; one industry analyst estimates that sales of the watch dropped 29% for that period.

"[T]he fact that sales are slowing across device categories and price points suggests wearable tech is struggling to appeal beyond a core segment of tech and fitness enthusiasts," writes the Journal's Dan Gallagher.

So Microsoft sold Windows's soul for what may turn out to be a passing fad.

--JorgeA

36 minutes ago, JorgeA said:

So Microsoft sold Windows's soul for what may turn out to be a passing fad.

No, they got the Camel's hump under the tent with 10.  They now know all about you and what is on your computer.  So, they really don't care what you or anybody else thinks of their product.  They have all this valuable data to sell and/or use to blackmail the user with.:ph34r:

6 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

So in Chrome I use both the adblock and adblock plus extensions.

Considered using uBlock Origin? Previously I used AdBlock Plus with Ghostery, but this year I switched to uBlock Origin and, with 14 filter lists subscribed, I can only see commercials embedded into the webpage. Every popular ad provider is disabled, no social media plugins... ganerally barely any crap.

Only downside is noticeably less intuitive Interface, but I got used to that.

Youtube.com is not sites (plural).  So clearly we're not talking about the same thing.

I'm not seeing ads anywhere I visit, not even video ads, so I'm wondering whether there are other sites that, I don't know, maybe aggregate youtube videos and add the video ads.  I'm hesitant to say that my strategy just blocks video ads without actually testing.

Got a link to a particular site where you see video ads?  I'll try it.

-Noel

On yt i allow the 2 scripts that always try to run, then goog|e.com script and i can watch videos with no ads. The others (lots) i keep blocked with noscript.

Maybe your browser settings concerning 3rd party scripts plays a role, if you dont use any addons.