Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

OK, so the current Win 10 has ads in Apps.  I don't use Apps.

I've read they're in the Start Menu.  I don't use the Win 10 Start Menu.

Where else might they be found?

I believe I've heard they can show up in the Lock Screen.  Are they actually showing up there?

Anywhere else?

At this point I have no idea what servers the system may be contacting to get ad info.  Are they coming in through 3rd party servers (e.g., like web pages) or do the ads come through Microsoft?  Do they come through in real time or are they pre-loaded with Windows Update?

-Noel

Hi NoelC!

Explain something to an old fart....Microsoft in its wisdom stopped supporting the gadgets that we have in Windows 7 because of security issues.....but then in its wisdom creates first Windows 8/8.1 and then Windows 10 which is made up of apps....you have literally apps coming out of your ****....now are all these apps in Microsofts eyes better than the gadgets that many loved in Windows 7.....are they more secure than the gadgets?

Just would like some clarification on this....;)

bookie23

1 hour ago, bookie32 said:

Hi NoelC!

Explain something to an old fart....Microsoft in its wisdom stopped supporting the gadgets that we have in Windows 7 because of security issues.....but then in its wisdom creates first Windows 8/8.1 and then Windows 10 which is made up of apps....you have literally apps coming out of your ****....now are all these apps in Microsofts eyes better than the gadgets that many loved in Windows 7.....are they more secure than the gadgets?

bookie23

I'm not NoelC :) but I do have some thoughts on why Microsoft removed Windows Gadgets.

Consider the timing of the Gadgets' removal in late summer 2012. This was a few weeks before Windows 8, with its Metro Start Screen full of blinking and scrolling Internet-connected tiles, was released. I have always suspected that the real reason for eliminating the Windows Gadgets feature was not "security" but rather to make the Windows 7 desktop look more static, dull, and limited in comparison to the moving and dynamic Metro Start Screen.

Nobody has ever explained to me how or why (for example) the Clock or the CPU Meter that Microsoft itself made available on its Gagdets page could possibly constitute a security hazard. They were provided by Microsoft and they reference local content only. Therefore I believe that killing the Gadgets had more to do with promoting Win8 than with protecting Win7 users.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Paul Thurrott: Windows as a Service isn’t working

Another shocker from Paul Thurrott. The article on his site is premium content but Woody Leonhard gives the conclusion:

Microsoft’s goal with Windows as a Service was pure and well-intentioned. But it may never work. And after the tough past year or so, I’m not sure how Windows will absorb this hit. The only thing worse would be continuing down the current path and pretending that it’s working.

Woody's comment:

In the real world, Windows customers (and corporate admins) need control over the patches being applied to their machines – and we need patches that work right the first time.

Every experienced Windows user I know has had at least a handful of minor (and sometimes major) problems with bad patches.

We Windows customers have bought and paid for reliable patches. We also need tools to better protect our machines. Fancy tiles, 3D drawing, new Universal apps, less leaky browser — they’re are all well and good. But they don’t hold a candle to keeping Windows stable.

Well said!

--JorgeA

16 minutes ago, JorgeA said:

I'm not NoelC :) but I do have some thoughts on why Microsoft removed Windows Gadgets.

Consider the timing of the Gadgets' removal in late summer 2012. This was a few weeks before Windows 8, with its Metro Start Screen full of blinking and scrolling Internet-connected tiles, was released. I have always suspected that the real reason for eliminating the Windows Gadgets feature was not "security" but rather to make the Windows 7 desktop look more static, dull, and limited in comparison to the moving and dynamic Metro Start Screen.

Nobody has ever explained to me how or why (for example) the Clock or the CPU Meter that Microsoft itself made available on its Gagdets page could possibly constitute a security hazard. They were provided by Microsoft and they reference local content only. Therefore I believe that killing the Gadgets had more to do with promoting Win8 than with protecting Win7 users.

--JorgeA

Well, that makes sense....another nail in the coffin for Microsoft....me thinks....;)

bookie32

20 hours ago, NoelC said:

OK, so the current Win 10 has ads in Apps.  I don't use Apps.

I've read they're in the Start Menu.  I don't use the Win 10 Start Menu.

Where else might they be found?

I believe I've heard they can show up in the Lock Screen.  Are they actually showing up there?

Anywhere else?

At this point I have no idea what servers the system may be contacting to get ad info.  Are they coming in through 3rd party servers (e.g., like web pages) or do the ads come through Microsoft?  Do they come through in real time or are they pre-loaded with Windows Update?

-Noel

Unless MS make it so Win10 subverts the built in firewall, which is what I'm worried will eventually happen, then you're good to use Win10 how you like without adverts it seems.

I closed up the firewall asap and I've not seen one advert anywhere.

A block list of IPs was also added to a big chunk of Redmond, San Antonio and Virginia.

I assume any of the CDNs will be serving adverts. Last time I had my firewall open (well, default, not open), MS was quick to have connections opening to amazon aws, among the other usual cdn.

Just block it all I'd say.

Either you buy into all the convenience, and you have to live with the adverts and spying in return for the free service, or you don't, and you can turn it all off.

To be honest I think that's fine.

Trying to get something for nothing is never going to work out.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 11:22 AM, bookie32 said:

Hi NoelC!

bookie23

I don't think I have any particular wisdom on this issue beyond what JorgeA said.

I believe, as Jorge does, that in Microsoft's small minds removing "extra" features somehow serves to make the newer system seem seem "better" by comparison.  I guess it was just Too Darned Hard to think of good new things for Windows to do beyond what 7 offered.

I'm fond of saying Microsoft manages mediocrity better than any company I've ever seen.  I think this is just more of the same, and is a reaction to having top notch software engineers on staff replaced by low-paid programmers.

-Noel

6 hours ago, ProfessorUltraviolet said:

Trying to get something for nothing is never going to work out.

That's why I really want an expensive professional OS, where you pay for the software and don't have the OS vender trying to snatch value from you at every turn.

It was nice when the OS cost a few hundred dollars every few years, and Microsoft certainly didn't go broke with that model.  But honestly, if Microsoft were to offer a worthy, professional Windows 7 successor at many hundreds of dollars for the upgrade, I'd buy it.

Microsoft's problem is that they seem unable to run a business that serves multiple facets of the software market.  It's as though the task of building systems for more than one market is too complicated for upper management.

-Noel

They've got some time to fall in line, because they've sure still got lots of money to waste, while learning.
Both best alternatives (viz. OpenVMS and OpenSolaris) didn't quite prosper, which is a pity, because now all we got is Free/Open/Net-BSD and MS. Let's hope it'll find its way back to the right path till 2020. Time is on our side... :unsure:

2 hours ago, NoelC said:

That's why I really want an expensive professional OS, where you pay for the software and don't have the OS vender trying to snatch value from you at every turn.

It was nice when the OS cost a few hundred dollars every few years, and Microsoft certainly didn't go broke with that model.  But honestly, if Microsoft were to offer a worthy, professional Windows 7 successor at many hundreds of dollars for the upgrade, I'd buy it.

Microsoft's problem is that they seem unable to run a business that serves multiple facets of the software market.  It's as though the task of building systems for more than one market is too complicated for upper management.

-Noel

I agree....but then I would have to try and forget the past year or so of disgusting company ethics. behaviour..etc...but if they got their heads from up their ***** then I would probably do the same as you and buy it....

bookie32

Shocker:

CERT warning: Windows 10 is less secure than Windows 7 with EMET

In direct contrast to Microsoft's assertion that Windows 10 is its most secure operating system ever, the US-CERT Coordination Center says that Windows 7 with EMET offers greater protection. With EMET due to be killed off, security experts are concerned.

So it turns out that Win10 level of security is easily surpassed by the simple measure of installing EMET (and that's not even the most comprehensive anti-exploit software available). People wishing to enhance their online safety don't need to surrender to Win10's snooping and lack of user choice.

--JorgeA

On 26.11.2016. at 9:27 AM, Dibya said:

Is any one think that there is any profit from upgrading from visual studio 2010 to 2013/15?

yes, losing compatibility support for previous system (apps for xp)
yes, you'll get auto telemetry code embeded in VS '15 projects