Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Sorry, I had missed this....haven't laughed so much since Windows 10 was released

Absolutely first class insight...I am impressed and there was me thinking Microsoft is a bunch of cretins....now I know better...

Thanks for putting me right JorgeA

bookie32

Edited by bookie32

The new figures from NetMarketShare are in:

OS market share 1116.png

[source]

Windows 7 usage has been creeping upward since July and is actually higher than it was back in April, while Windows 8.1 is above June levels. Windows 10 share is lower than it was two months ago. Not exactly setting the world on fire.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA
added link

12 minutes ago, bookie32 said:

This means that they are going to extend support for Windows 7....:w00t:

bookie32

Brace yourselves, for a mandatory SP2, with integrated telemetry updates, that extends Windows 7's lifecycle to that of 8.1 (that is until 2023), while M$ appologizes for Windows 8 and 10, and says they are doing a true successor to Windows 7, building on its codebase (a person can dream...)

It really doesn't seem that Microsoft is in touch with the real world, does it?  It appears they've conceded to defeat on the mobile front, and they are putting more of their energy into the whole 3D creative bit on Surface tablets.  It sounds fun, but it doesn't seem to be in line with what people are looking for.

I would say, focus on making people like NoelC happy, and provide long term support for enterprise-class desktops (no need for anything innovative here - just keep it working on today's equipment), and then diversify.  Maybe creat phone apps for Android, and return to being the software moguls they used to be.

Not sure I'd accept mandatory telemetry in return for a new Windows 7 service pack...  My Win 7 system, weaned off updates entirely, just hums along without trouble now.  It's hard to want more from it, save for maybe new device support for a new system one day...  What do I need Microsoft for?

And...  My Win 8.1 workstation just hit 60 days uptime today.  Anything hoping to replace it has to be pretty much as complete and reliable, or it's a non-starter.  By contrast, Windows 10 is a perpetual-starter.  They never let it mature.

If I can turn - with tweaking and augmentation - Win 10 from the out-of-box playtoy they deliver into a mostly serious system, I'm pretty sure that says Microsoft could do it starting with the Win 10 codebase.  Then they just need to adopt a more rational release strategy, because contrary to fashionable opinion, the world does not really need (I didn't say want, I said need) a new operating system every 6 months. 

Longer release cycles would give time for missing pieces to be developed by the world, a loyal user base to be developed, etc., as it has always been.  Never forget that business only just barely gave up XP relatively recently for Win 7.  That's pretty much the antithesis of continuous releases.  You can't build on a moving foundation, and you can't figure out how to adeptly use something in just a few months.

-Noel

10 hours ago, JodyT said:

It really doesn't seem that Microsoft is in touch with the real world, does it?  It appears they've conceded to defeat on the mobile front, and they are putting more of their energy into the whole 3D creative bit on Surface tablets.  It sounds fun, but it doesn't seem to be in line with what people are looking for.

I would say, focus on making people like NoelC happy, and provide long term support for enterprise-class desktops (no need for anything innovative here - just keep it working on today's equipment), and then diversify.  Maybe creat phone apps for Android, and return to being the software moguls they used to be.

This all sounds good but....firstly they need to go out to the very badly treated public with a press release apologising for Windows 10, apologising for conning millions into a recommended update that left them with a pile of crap on their computers against their will, apologising for making it near impossible to maintain older versions and keep the update working, apologising for dictating what OS we are going to use.....sorry, but the list is long and I keep repeating myself. A company can not be taken seriously that adopts the tactics for pushing Windows 10 on millions of unsuspecting users...

Changing the subject...it is like the whole planet having to deal with America's terrorist activity across our beautiful planet, having to put up with America telling the rest of the world what a democracy is....!!! Having to put up with the fact it is down to two id*** and one of them is going to be at the helm of the most powerful nation in the world.....I think the world has enough to deal with Trump or Clinton? This is a sad day for the world!!

And at this moment I don't care if I am banned from MSFN because of what I have written....The Americans are all about free speech...but haven't got a clue what that really means.

As long as America has a country run by puppets with lots of money the rest of us will suffer...

Getting off my soap box for a moment....

bookie32

One can get nightmares thinking in March next year, if one wants the latest improved telemetry and toys, one need to again clean install RS2 and start from the beginning. As NoelC says, there's no time to figure out how to properly adopt the system for long term use as the goal posts keep moving. It's what can brings down a company if pushed too hard and, Linux is forever in the background and eventually will be in the front if Msoft doesn't stop the madness or at least slows it down

May I remind us all here that one of the reasons that this thread and its First/Deeper Impressions predecessors have been so successful over the last several years, is that we have managed to discuss important broader issues connected to Windows/Microsoft and to high-tech generally (such as NSA spying) without getting into political partisanship. To mix metaphors, I urge us please to avoid that can of worms like the plague.  :)

--JorgeA

12 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

Brace yourselves, for a mandatory SP2, with integrated telemetry updates, that extends Windows 7's lifecycle to that of 8.1 (that is until 2023), while M$ appologizes for Windows 8 and 10, and says they are doing a true successor to Windows 7, building on its codebase (a person can dream...)

If they did do something like that, it's a good question what to do then. I would consider accepting the SP2 -- right after applying @NoelC's techniques for squashing the telemetry, beginning with a hardware firewall where all those MSFT snoop-servers would be blocked.

Of course, the server addresses can and do change, which is why I didn't say that I would definitely accept that SP2. First there would have to be some way to keep the lid tight on the telemetry.

--JorgeA

9 minutes ago, zolotron said:

One can get nightmares thinking in March next year, if one wants the latest improved telemetry and toys, one need to again clean install RS2 and start from the beginning. As NoelC says, there's no time to figure out how to properly adopt the system for long term use as the goal posts keep moving. It's what can brings down a company if pushed too hard and, Linux is forever in the background and eventually will be in the front if Msoft doesn't stop the madness or at least slows it down

Yeah, they really need to "leave it alone already" for a good while and let users take some breaths. Who's running the show over in Redmond, a bunch of ADHD sufferers?

--JorgeA

Even though moving into a new Windows 7 type release seems obvious to us techies, I am afraid it might be too late for M$. They're in too deep in the rabbit hole. The time for them to move away from all the apps and touch came and went with the release of Windows 10. They still had a chance back then to back down. Windows 8 was a blunder, and didn't get much traction by either devs or users. People would accept that M$ tried something new and failed.

With 10, we had forced upgrades, telemetry updates and buggy patches. They are pushing so hard for the app store, that suddenly dropping everything might kill any trust left in the company.

Who knows, maybe it will be a Sega type situation, where after years of wrongdoings, they admit they've done wrong and release one last good product before they go under. Their Dreamcast.

Windows 10 can and should only go up from here. We are past EOL (End of License) for Windows 7, meaning that you cannot buy a new computer with Windows 7 pre-installed on it anymore. Except some circumstances, but they would not end up making any difference in those OS charts.