Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

57 minutes ago, ralcool said:

Um, no- its been back since Win8

arrow.jpg

Geez, photobucket is so loaded with ads it barely loads... cpu time crazy

Oh, OK. I haven't ventured much into post-7 territory with the exception of a few VM tests here and there.

I recommend using imgur or sli.mg instead of photobucket. They're much lighter (especially sli.mg) and you don't need an account.

You still allow ads to be downloaded to your computer?  How quaint.  :angel

Telemetry probably showed that people hardly clicked on the up arrow.  I'm guessing - beyond the fact that the up arrow has always been smaller and lighter than the left and right icons - that it's because really only smart people use the hierarchical file system on their computer as anything but a big garbage can, and smart people block telemetry.  It's kind of like some people's cars.  Should car makers stop putting in carpet and floor mats just because the lazy masses fill them up with discarded drink cups, used tissues, and leaves?

If dumbass masses don't need a hierarchical start menu, why should they need a hierarchical file system?  You just KNOW what's coming next, after removal of the up arrow.

Microsoft removed the up arrow once before, but that was before much of the rest of the system was so dumbed down, so people noticed and raised a stink.  Now that we're all getting weary of complaining, they go back and remove it again.  Yep, Microsoft:  Single-mindedly moving Windows away from being an operating system.  Mark my words:  NOTHING they've screwed up, then unscrewed under public pressure, will remain unscrewed.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

9 hours ago, NoelC said:

You still allow ads to be downloaded to your computer?  How quaint.  :angel

Photobucket's ads come from their domain and are not picked up by ad-blockers. Even with just allowing scripting on the two required domains to allow for the GUI and uploading to work (photobucket and pbsrc or whatever) the site is super slow and often times doesn't finish loading. The ads come through in large pop-up windows (like the 90s :angry: ) from their domain.

Photobucket is also at fault for an incorrect load order. I've seen it on Yahoo as well, where they prioritize loading of advertisements (which are sometimes movies) before GUI components.

36 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

Photobucket's ads come from their domain and are not picked up by ad-blockers. Even with just allowing scripting on the two required domains to allow for the GUI and uploading to work (photobucket and pbsrc or whatever) the site is super slow and often times doesn't finish loading. The ads come through in large pop-up windows (like the 90s :angry: ) from their domain.

Photobucket is also at fault for an incorrect load order. I've seen it on Yahoo as well, where they prioritize loading of advertisements (which are sometimes movies) before GUI components.

Your own signature here appears to contain an image hosted at photobucket and incidentally my machine is never able to load it, holding any and all MSFN pages that contain one of your comments from completing loading. For this reason I have to block photobucket for the msfn.org domain. The irony. ;)

Anyway, for people that use either Firefox (an older, sane version) or Pale Moon (same goes here), there is an invaluable add-on called YARIP (Yet Another Remove It Permanently) without which I wouldn't even think of browsing the web. It can not only remove user-chosen elements from web pages but it can also tweak the heck out of moronically flat interfaces that plague the web lately, especially in e-mail (such as AOL, Yahoo and others).

Users of Pale Moon may need to modify the add-on's code in order to work properly or I could provide my own fixed version on PM request. I've been using that version on PM 25.8.1 for months already. Can't vouch for PM 26.x or 27 though.

Sorry for the off-topic, guys.

3 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

That assumes you would want to use Photobucket at all, of course.

I tried opening www.photobucket.com and got their small logo, "Sorry, an unexpected error occurred." and "Please try again or go back to the previous page." on an otherwise blank page.  Voila, no ads from their site.  :) 

I *DO* see your Hax/Nadella image though, no problem.  And contrary to what Drugwash sees I guess I don't think I'm seeing any obvious delays because of it.

-Noel

3 hours ago, NoelC said:

I *DO* see your Hax/Nadella image though, no problem.  And contrary to what Drugwash sees I guess I don't think I'm seeing any obvious delays because of it.

I think it was cached. It showed up for me but when I tried to view the image itself, I got an error from Photobucket.

If it helps Drugwash or anyone else browse the forum easier, I put that picture on Imgur now instead.

As for why someone would use Photobucket, it is not an ideal choice today to use to put your pictures. But in the early 2000s (when I made my account) it was great. So I have over 10 years of images in there. Often I do send new pictures to Imgur instead.

I don't think it would have taken 94 ms to load if it were cached, unless it was somewhere in between the server and here.

But it's all good - the imgur-hosted image takes 47 ms to load.  :)  So thanks for saving me almost 1/20 of a second!

You might want to double check the second link in your sig while you're in the vicinity.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

13 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

I think it was cached. It showed up for me but when I tried to view the image itself, I got an error from Photobucket.

If it helps Drugwash or anyone else browse the forum easier, I put that picture on Imgur now instead.

As for why someone would use Photobucket, it is not an ideal choice today to use to put your pictures. But in the early 2000s (when I made my account) it was great. So I have over 10 years of images in there. Often I do send new pictures to Imgur instead.

Maybe Photobucket are filtering certain IP ranges blocking their access, or there are multiple servers serving that item according to geo-zone and some of them could have a non-sync'ed/corrupt database; that would explain why some can load the picture and others don't. Anyway, now it shows up from Imgur so this problem is solved. Thank you. :)

EDIT: A possbile/probable explanation is further down, at least for Pale Moon users.

Edited by Drugwash

5 minutes ago, Drugwash said:

Maybe Photobucket are filtering certain IP ranges blocking their access, or there are multiple servers serving that item according to geo-zone and some of them could have a non-sync'ed/corrupt database; that would explain why some can load the picture and others don't. Anyway, now it shows up from Imgur so this problem is solved. Thank you. :)

Just for the record:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/175318-new-forum-how-tos/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/175318-new-forum-how-tos/?do=findComment&comment=1120559

Grofluigi has a possible explanation (at least limited to Opera) in the following posts.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Thanks, jaclaz, I think I found the culprit in Pale Moon's case: the Encrypted Web add-on (fork of HTTPS Everywhere).

I've noticed that one of the images not showing up in the topic you linked to above had an address like i85.photobucket.com but in my browser's statusbar there was an s85.photobucket.com stalling the page. This sparked the idea that a HTTP address was being forced to a HTTPS that cannot be served/doesn't exist on that server.
So I pulled down the Encrypted Web's menu and disabled it for the Photobucket domain. Upon reload, page loaded succesfully, including the image. :)
Most likely Firefox users would have to do the same in HTTPS Everywhere or whatever similar add-on/extension they might have.

Disable_EncryptedWeb_for_Photobucket_.in_PaleMoonpng.png

Sorry, Tripredacus, for wasting your time - all this extra security that we're being scared into adopting sometimes leads to such issues. :blushing: 

Edited by Drugwash
small typo

Here are the most important things Microsoft announced at today’s Windows 10 Creators Update event

3D Design was a big focus during today’s keynote as Microsoft officially announced Paint 3D, an updated version of the legacy app that will allow everyone to design 3D objects.

So, dear Microsoft, can I design a 3D convex Taskbar to replace the flat boring one that you put in Windows 10? :whistle:

--JorgeA