Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

John C. Dvorak strikes again...

The Massive Windows 10 Update Failure

So here is what we can expect, something that could easily happen in the next few years: Instead of a simple reboot issue, a patch goes out that fries the machine dead. There is no reboot problem because the machine will not boot at all and you cannot get far enough to even revert to the previous install. We are getting a glimpse into the future if Microsoft persists with forced upgrades; the company needs to rethink its strategy immediately.

...and swipes at the UI while he's at it:

What annoyed me was a not-so-subtle change of the Start menu. On two of the machines, the "File explorer/settings/power/all apps" buttons are now gone, replaced by small icons with "all apps" pre-clicked and "all apps" showing in the start menu. Exactly why this change did not occur on a third machine I do not know.

If Microsoft is going to constantly toy with the UI, then I am fearful. The company was completely stubborn about the idiotic start screen with Windows 8, forcing me and others to revert to products like Classic Shell so we could get an efficient experience. Windows 10 was a compromise I thought was perfect. But now Microsoft—or factions within the company—want to slowly revert back to Windows 8, and the Anniversary Update was step one.

Of course, this is only a suspicion, but the way the company defended the huge page of massive square icons and idiotic full-screen apps obviously reflected a corporate opinion. The company refused to admit that the layout was crap, especially on a system with multiple monitors. Someone high up liked the UI and feels hurt by the Windows 10 compromise.

--JorgeA

1 hour ago, JorgeA said:

John C. Dvorak strikes again...

But now Microsoft—or factions within the company—want to slowly revert back to Windows 8, and the Anniversary Update was step one.

Isn't it clear they have a particular goal (to ELIMINATE the "desktop" metaphor) and the ONLY time they pull back from single-mindedly pursuing it is when they've pushed too hard too fast and have to backpedal?

They don't ever want us to have a good Start Menu (from them) ever again!  And they WILL move on from the desktop!

If they SAY they put a Start Menu back, but in fact did something that's worse than ever, then people will say, "well, Microsoft needs to get rid of the Start Menu and do something better".  Hell, if their motives were genuine they *could* have just resurrected the stock Start Menu from Win 7 or pre-release Win 8.  But no, they didn't do that.

The number of people who don't yet see their game is staggering.

That they continue to single-mindedly pursue some "future vision" that's not better than what we already have may be even more staggering.

Single-mindedly.  Like not being able to imagine a mobile device interface that's different from what's needed on a serious computer.

-Noel

Bugs in latest Windows/Office patch bundles create confusion

Woody is about the only major tech journalist around who's not meekly accepting the foul Windows stew Microsoft is serving.

Today my Win10 test laptop downloaded a new update. It took well over an hour to finish downloading, slowing down Internet access to a crawl for every other PC on my network. Of course Win10 doesn't tell you the size of the update: had I known how enormous it was, I would have waited to download the update 'til late in the evening.

And then, when it (finally) was done, Win10 announced that a reboot was scheduled for "outside active hours." It took some digging to figure out just what time that reboot was scheduled for. Why can't it simply give that time on the same line as where it announces that a reboot is scheduled?!? What's the BFD?

And yet, no tech journalist that I can think of is questioning this maltreatment of the Windows customer. Where is the outrage??? When did the tech press become so contemptibly submissive??

--JorgeA

I've wondered that myself.

Could it be that Microsoft is paying them handsomely, yet somehow, for some reason they've passed Woody over - perhaps because he has too much integrity?  Woody is certainly a good guy.

I noticed that he's now asking for donations from people who visit askwoody.com.

-Noel

42 minutes ago, xman charl said:

complained about ads on site, couple of days back...

seems like a professional is needed to help the site?

Charl

Do you mean on Woody's site?

He did seem to have some initial issues with questionable advertisements being served by his ad broker, but supposedly that's been taken care of now. We'll see.

Malvertising is going to be the downfall of ad-supported computing, unless sites and especially ad distributors get on the ball. I remember one magazine site started blocking people who used ad blockers, then those who unblocked ads for that site promptly got malware-infested ads. It simply can't go on like that.

Wonder how long before we get a scenario where Microsoft cripples Windows 10 for users who block ads in the Start Menu and notification center, then as a reward for allowing ads the users get malvertising. :ph34r:

--JorgeA

On Friday, October 21, 2016 at 9:51 PM, NoelC said:

I've wondered that myself.

Could it be that Microsoft is paying them handsomely, yet somehow, for some reason they've passed Woody over - perhaps because he has too much integrity?

Nothing would surprise me anymore.

--JorgeA

12 hours ago, JorgeA said:

Do you mean on Woody's site?

He did seem to have some initial issues with questionable advertisements being served by his ad broker, but supposedly that's been taken care of now. We'll see.

Malvertising is going to be the downfall of ad-supported computing, unless sites and especially ad distributors get on the ball. I remember one magazine site started blocking people who used ad blockers, then those who unblocked ads for that site promptly got malware-infested ads. It simply can't go on like that.

Wonder how long before we get a scenario where Microsoft cripples Windows 10 for users who block ads in the Start Menu and notification center, then as a reward for allowing ads the users get malvertising. :ph34r:

--JorgeA

Exactly!  Well said.

The key is this:  If, as a web site provider, you agree to host ads from a particular source, then THAT source - and not you - chooses the ads that run, and they aren't doing proper vetting.  In other words, they're not doing their jobs.

You may be given some high level control, in terms of picking categories, and you may be given a support eMail address you can contact (as apparently Woody has done), BUT the bottom line is that the data and programs (when considering everything shown on the page) that are being delivered (or more importantly, will be delivered) to site visitors are NOT AT ALL under your own control.  The fault lies with the ad brokers, because they couldn't care less whether their delivery of "malvertising" results in problems for YOU.  They just want to count your eyeballs.

It may seem that monetization inevitably causes a shift toward malicious intent, where providers prey on consumers.

But it's only a given if we let it happen!

Because of this fundamental reality of the internet (with apologies to Woody and Xper here) I'm sorry to say that no site will ever deliver ads to me or anyone who follows my advice.  Those (e.g., Forbes) that try to program their site code to make it necessary to see their ads in order to see the content just won't get my visits.  Those who beg to have ad blockers disabled lose my respect.  Instead, as my way of making payment I freely share my wisdom, knowledge, and sometimes a little software or data.  If I don't feel I've done enough for a site I frequent I send a few bucks via PayPal.  Integrity and honesty are the ONLY ways to make it work.  I will also never host ads on my own sites.

-Noel

P.S., I have set up all the systems I use to be ad-free for a long time - literally since the 1980s.  Coupled with a thoughtful approach to using the network (a big part of which is vetting anything and everything before running it) not surprisingly I have never had a malware infection.  I have only ever installed each operating system I used once, and my systems are reliable and stable.

P.P.S., If your site isn't valuable enough to be monetized without ads (e.g., direct product sales or donations or paywall) then consider doing something else.  You aren't adding value to the world via the internet. 

P.P.P.S., Just for reference, right now my blacklists include 18,000+ entire domains and 52,000+ specific web sites that no system of mine ever visits.  And guess what?  I don't have any problems finding worthwhile content online to view.

Edited by NoelC

5 hours ago, Formfiller said:

So, after a long hiatus, I am back.

Missed something important?

By the way, need some advice: What new notebook model works with Windows 8.1 without any fuss? Price range is mid tier.

MacBook (-Air, -Pro)??

Hi Formfiller.  You didn't miss anything too important.  Probably the biggest thing is that Big Muscle now has almost all his Aero Glass et. al. software releases working for Win 10 build 14393 as Release builds.

Regarding laptop suggestions...  I was going to suggest thinking about a MacBook as well.  Apple makes good, solid hardware.

My son (Master's degree; working on his PhD) just bought himself a MacBook Pro.  He was going to dual-boot it but on my advice decided to leave OS X as the native system and run Win 7 in a VMware Fusion VM.  He says that combo works surprisingly well.  It's a VERY powerful machine, replacing his last MacBook, a 2008 model, which was actually useful to him for 8 years.

-Noel

What I want to know is when Microsoft are going to remove this crap off the market....daily I am getting computers with Windows 10 and problems that have upgraded to windows 10...even new ones that come with Windows 10....it is crap and doesn't work...

God I am fed up with this rubbish...

Sorry, just needed to let off steam!!

bookie32

This is typical of Microsoft nowadays....

What Office versions work on Windows 10....here they give that info

But in this link you get the known issues with Office Versions on Windows 10....

It either works or doesn't work...

The question is never answered in a way you can believe anything...

21 hours ago, Formfiller said:

So, after a long hiatus, I am back.

Missed something important?

By the way, need some advice: What new notebook model works with Windows 8.1 without any fuss? Price range is mid tier.

When did you last visit? I could give you a quick rundown of developments since then on this thread. The last few months have focused mostly on building upon and deepening the known unwelcome aspects of Microsoft and Windows 10, plus some welcome news such as the flattening of the Win10 adoption curve despite MSFT's pushy and even ethically questionable efforts to get everybody on that OS.

--JorgeA

P.S. I don't know what you count as "mid-tier" pricing, but IMO any laptop whose name begins with "Mac" is automatically disqualified from "mid-tier" consideration.  :)  (Sorry, NoelC. ;) )