Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

And speaking of fixing (or not fixing) the problems:

Problems continue with Windows 10 Anniversary Update 1607, KB 3194798

Microsoft's getting closer, but I still don't recommend that folks move to 1607, the Anniversary Update. Wait for the kinks to get ironed out. If you're using Win10, you'd be well advised to stick with the Fall Update 1511 and continue to block the Anniversary Update. Or you can join the unpaid beta team on 1607.

[emphasis added]

--JorgeA

>Or you can join the unpaid beta team on 1607.

That would make insiders the what, unit testers and alpha testers?  The shoe seems to fit.

Everyone at Microsoft seems to have forgotten it's an operating system, not an application.  An operating system needs to be the cornerstone, the foundation, the facilitator.  The focus CANNOT be on Windows itself.  It has to be on what the users want to DO with Windows.

gallery_35942_10875_2775289624ad0165b95c

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

4 hours ago, NoelC said:

That would make insiders the what, unit testers and alpha testers?  The shoe seems to fit.

Everyone at Microsoft seems to have forgotten it's an operating system, not an application.  An operating system needs to be the cornerstone, the foundation, the facilitator.  The focus CANNOT be on Windows itself.  It has to be on what the users want to DO with Windows.

Yeah, that would make the Insiders the initial cannon fodder for whatever bugs Microsoft introduces each month.

Funny you mention the bit about the focus needing to be on applications rather than the OS. I remember not so long ago (~2013) when MSFT was offering a vision of the OS blending into the background so that people could focus on what they needed to do. It was part of the rationale for simplifying (dumbing down) the UI. Of course, under the WaaS (Windows as a Service) model, the focus is almost exclusively on the OS and whatever changes or mistakes each new sub-sub-version brings with it.

--JorgeA

The PC market freefall continues, here is how to fix it

Unfortunately, the prescription sits behind a paywall, but the diagnosis is interesting:

...Since Windows 8’s triumphant launch to much fanfare by sites that depend on Microsoft ad revenue, sales have cratered. Most [analysts] belittled the awfulness of this OS and said sales would rebound, consumers actually loved it, and other counter-reality claims.

[...]

...Make PCs that people want to buy, not PCs that make higher margins or follow fashion trends gleaned from self-serving surveys. The problem is simple, people want certain functionality from their computers and the industry actively precludes anyone from making or selling exactly that.

[emphasis added]

Huh, almost makes me want to shell out for the subscription price to find out what it is that Charlie says the PC industry is precluding.

--JorgeA

4 hours ago, helpdesk98 said:

I wish they would make PCs PCs again and not phones with flat, dull design, bloated with trash-ware & spyware, and removal of useful or fundamental features that make a PC a PC! there is my rant for the day lol. 

I agree 10,000%!

Macs are still relatively PC-like in terms of what they can do (but then again, the Mac UI has traditionally been somewhat more "dumbed down" than Windows, but things seem to have changed recently, in my opinion). What I don't like, is how it's now impossible to upgrade RAM on most Apple models, and that they seem to have become increasingly allergic to ports, but whatever. If I want a PC that does relatively PC-like things AND is relatively new AND money is no object, I like Macs. However, if I want a real PC that does PC-like things perfectly, and age is irrelevant and I'm on a tight budget, I'll stick with my D630 and Windows XP :)

c

What is the future of Windows 10 and what will happen to UWP: Part I

Generally a cheerleading writeup, but the following passage caught my eye:

It’s not a secret that Microsoft is now focusing on UWP and the API expansion. Microsoft is now focusing mostly on UWP apps...

Good to know that someone on the other side believes, as I do, that Microsoft aims to kill off Win32.

As for what would replace it, the writer offers this bad dream vision:

Imagine Windows 10 in ten years. It will most probably be called just “Windows.” You won’t have a traditional desktop PC in your room, but rather all you will have is a HoloLens. If you need to sit down and work in front of a desk, you just fire up Word and use your Bluetooth keyboard and mouse to do what you have to do. Think of it like Continuum for Phones, but a step further. You won’t even need a screen anymore. You will have all your files in the cloud, and by using the glasses, you will just edit them wherever you go without begin limited to any device except your head.

[emphasis added]

Cool -- just make sure that you don't keep any naughty pictures in that cloud thing, or documents expressing opinions that Microsoft or thugs with badges might dislike.

If everything goes to the cloud, your digital freedom will go up in smoke. Prepare to live a fully generic life as approved by the proper authorities.

--JorgeA

they can't kill "win32" so soon
otherwise alot, alooooot apps will break

and without win32 (or 64... whatever you wanna call it now...)
what will power up .net, which is their ultimate next platformic garbage for long time... ?

14 minutes ago, vinifera said:

and without win32 (or 64... whatever you wanna call it now...)
what will power up .net, which is their ultimate next platformic garbage for long time... ?

They're OK with killing off .NET at this point. UWP is just their next "fad" API. It started off with MSHTML and ActiveX, then they started pushing .NET. Now they're pushing UWP instead.

Ironically enough, the one thing that was around throughout all these fads was pure win32. It shipped with Windows 95, and you still (for now) can write a pure win32 application for Windows 10 without any ActiveX, .NET, or UWP garbage.

Win32 is probably the longest lasting currently supported API in the history of graphical computing. A vast majority of the worlds desktop applications are written in it, killing it off entirely will be a BAD move.

7 hours ago, helpdesk98 said:

I wish they would make PCs PCs again and not phones with flat, dull design, bloated with trash-ware & spyware, and removal of useful or fundamental features that make a PC a PC! there is my rant for the day lol. 

U should try out Solus. very nice experience, IMHO!

Patriots coach Bill Belichick benches Microsoft's Surface, says it's undependable

"Score" another win for Microsoft!

In a six-minute rant captured by NESN reporter Zack Cox, Belichick opened his Tuesday press conference by declaring himself “done with the tablets”—presumably referring to Microsoft’s Surface tablets, though he never identified them by name. 

“As you probably noticed, I’m done with the tablets,” Belichick said. “They’re just too undependable for me. I’m going to stick with pictures, which several of our other coaches do, as well, because there just isn’t enough consistency in the performance of the tablets. I just can’t take it anymore.”

czg7nqbuaaazgfi-100639913-orig.gif

[source: https://cms-images.idgesg.net/images/article/2016/01/czg7nqbuaaazgfi-100639913-orig.gif]

--JorgeA

So THAT's how the pro football players get concussions.  I have heard this is a big problem.

Never having touched or noticed a Microsoft Surface tablet myself, I can't begin to imagine that if you were to combine the drop in quality in Win 10 with whatever Microsoft would think is sufficient hardware quality that it would work very well.

In all my years as a software engineer, I always found that most folks who'd like to think they're software engineers are really no more than undisciplined application programmers at heart.  Hardware engineers have traditionally been a breed apart simply because they take the discipline of engineering much more seriously (not that there is a reason software engineers can't - I do).  I only mention this because thinking that a software company could be changed into a hardware company would involve a complete management change and a cultural shift that I doubt seriously anyone could pull off in less than, say, a decade or two.

-Noel