Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Found another formerly useful piece of software whose developers have wrecked their UI:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/202157005/comments/207826506

And note the obligatory official apologist making claims that we're all too familiar with from the Win10 debate. :rolleyes:

I landed on that forum while trying to find as explanation as to why I can no longer simply download a file that someone wants to send me. (Too large for an e-mail attachment.)

--JorgeA

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 3:44 PM, xpclient said:

Btw if you remove the app packages from the WIM using DISM and then install using that modified Bob 10 image, they won't get re-installed.

The only time I saw them reinstalled was with 10586 and 14393 in-place upgrades.

I doubt seriously they will under any conditions avoid that opportunity to reinstall the Apps during the next in-place upgrade.

-Noel

A question for those who might be in a position to know...

Does this look like it might help to tamp down the telemetry connectivity that Microsoft has built into Windows 10?

Note that the description states specifically that it is not a firewall.

Impressions? Reactions?

--JorgeA

16 hours ago, JorgeA said:

A question for those who might be in a position to know...

Does this look like it might help to tamp down the telemetry connectivity that Microsoft has built into Windows 10?

Note that the description states specifically that it is not a firewall.

Impressions? Reactions?

--JorgeA

Seem terrific to me.

Under virtual pc 2007 xp consume 60mb ram but windows 10 consuming around  1.7gb with out any load(installed as vista)

God save me what more ms will do to make 64gb ram as minimum requirement.

Check this out:
Windows 10 runs again — but for how long?

So what is this machine-freezing bug? You’re going to love this.

It’s a scheduled task, hidden away in the Windows 10 registry, that’s meant to save Xbox Live games. Well, OK, that sort of thing can happen. Except — hold on a minute! — I haven’t played an Xbox game since Halo 4 — in 2012, on hardware I gave away years ago.

But, no matter! Somehow, Microsoft enabled a system failure using a totally obscure registry entry for a program I’ve never used.

WTF does my laptop have to do with Xbox??? Wasn't one of the virtues of Windows 10 supposed to be that it could tell what kind of machine you're running, and act accordingly?

And, almost as disturbing --

The credit for the fix does not go to Microsoft’s asleep-at-the-wheel quality assurance team, but to a user. As far as I can trace it, the credit for the complete fix belongs to a Dr. Peter Farquhasson, a Windows 10 Insider. All Microsoft did, days after the fix was created, was to turn it into a script.

[...]

I mention this as a trivial example of a serious problem. Even as Microsoft has gotten much better with its server and cloud offerings, Windows seems to be taking second place and becoming second rate.

It might also have been helpful if Microsoft still let you install only those patches you need rather than one large blob of updates. It’s bad enough that Microsoft has made this the default update system for Windows 10, but it is also bringing the rollup patch model to Windows 7, 8.1, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012 and Server 2012 R2, starting on Oct. 11.

--JorgeA

11 hours ago, JorgeA said:

I'm not in a position to examine/test the Emsa Advanced Port Blocker software, but generally speaking any package that allows you to know about communications and block selected ones could be useful for monitoring / controlling / limiting communications.  The pertinent questions are: 

• Does it introduce any problems of its own?
  • Can it specifically be made to block communications with Microsoft's various telemetry servers without interfering with normal operations?

Tools such as O&O ShutUp10, W10Privacy, and a few others (my own script included) do a good job of shutting telemetry down.  But of course without something that allows you to monitor the comms it's hard to be confident.

I use - and am excited about - the Sphinx firewall package myself.  The author has created a really nice setup management process that uses server names in the upcoming version 8 (betas available here).

Also, I run a copy of Dual DHCP DNS Server on my always-on Windows 7 server and it gives me control over what names get resolved (vs. blacklisted and never resolved) as well as logging what's resolved for all the systems on my LAN.  Every DNS request goes first to my server, then to the internet DNS system if it's not blacklisted.  Its claims to fame are the ability to use wildcards in blacklists and fast operation.

-Noel

P.S., Besides deconfiguring telemetry in every way possible, my current Microsoft blacklist entries from my DNS server lists include these Microsoft servers.  Addresses that match these will not be resolved, thus no communications will be attempted.  That is, of course, unless Microsoft builds them into the software as addresses instead of names, or uses some other means to resolve them (which they do).  Hence also the need for a firewall.  Note that this list serves not only Win 10 systems but also Win 7 and 8.1.

# Unwanted Microsoft contacts

iecvlist.microsoft.com=0.0.0.0
ieonline.microsoft.com=0.0.0.0
r20swj13mr.microsoft.com=0.0.0.0
spynet2.microsoft.com=0.0.0.0
spynetalt.microsoft.com=0.0.0.0

bn2.skype.msnmessenger.msn.com.akadns.net=0.0.0.0
client-s.gateway.messenger.live.com=0.0.0.0

win10.ipv6.microsoft.com=0.0.0.0

#  Special Microsoft sync, telemetry, and privacy addresses to block

vortex*=0.0.0.0
*vortex.data.microsoft.com=0.0.0.0
*vortex-win.data.microsoft.com=0.0.0.0
*settings-win.data.microsoft.com=0.0.0.0
*vo.msecnd.net=0.0.0.0
*telemetry*microsoft*=0.0.0.0
a-*.a-msedge.net=0.0.0.0
*smartscreen*microsoft*=0.0.0.0

# Blacklist entries suggested by Spybot Anti Beacon, updated July 1, 2016

choice.microsoft.com=0.0.0.0
choice.microsoft.com.nstac.net=0.0.0.0
settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com=0.0.0.0
watson.live.com=0.0.0.0
watson.microsoft.com=0.0.0.0
feedback.search.microsoft.com=0.0.0.0
feedback.windows.com=0.0.0.0
corp.sts.microsoft.com=0.0.0.0
diagnostics.support.microsoft.com=0.0.0.0
i1.services.social.microsoft.com=0.0.0.0
i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net=0.0.0.0
ac3.msn.com=0.0.0.0
cm.ac3.msn.com=0.0.0.0
compatexchange.cloudapp.net=0.0.0.0
corpext.msitadfs.glbdns2.microsoft.com=0.0.0.0
cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net=0.0.0.0
m.hotmail.com=0.0.0.0
blu405-m.hotmail.com=0.0.0.0
pre.footprintpredict.com=0.0.0.0
s.gateway.messenger.live.com=0.0.0.0
bn2-s.gateway.messenger.live.com=0.0.0.0
survey.watson.microsoft.com=0.0.0.0

Cool.  Let me know if you'd like to look over my Sphinx configuration for Win 10 that allows no nonsense (i.e., no Apps, no telemetry, etc.).  It could serve as an alternate starting point for developing your personalized configuration vs. what the Sphinx developers provide.

-Noel

On Tuesday, 11 October 2016 at 3:00 PM, NoelC said:

The only time I saw them reinstalled was with 10586 and 14393 in-place upgrades.

I doubt seriously they will under any conditions avoid that opportunity to reinstall the Apps during the next in-place upgrade.

-Noel

Improving the PC upgrade experience: Starting with build 14926, we announced that if you uninstall one of the preinstalled apps on Windows, that state will now be preserved after upgrade. With today’s build, we’re happy to let you know that we’ve taken that work a step further: after upgrading from 14942, if an IT-Pro has de-provisioned an app from your OS image (and you haven’t reinstalled it yourself), that provisioning status will now be preserved after upgrade, and the app will not reinstall. We appreciate everyone who shared feedback with us about this – if you have any other feedback about your upgrade experience, please don’t hesitate to log it – we’re listening!
Read more at https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/10/07/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14942-for-pc/#i5xCfKdZ1qDf7gcI.99

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/10/07/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14942-for-pc/

Maybe, they are finally listening. I'd bet the newest promoted apps will be installed though.

10 hours ago, ralcool said:

Maybe, they are finally listening. I'd bet the newest promoted apps will be installed though.

They are listening but it's a hopeless situation. They make 100 mistakes and listen to users to correct 1 out of those 100, but force the other 99 mistakes on you. It's a product that has gone massively downhill in quality compared to Windows 7 or XP.

Even if they fix all the problems...

They will never redeem themselves with this version of Windows OS or probably any others in the future....

Unless....everyone forgets all the underhand ways they have tried to force this crap on us...!!!

How are we supposed to respect a company that doesn't respect its users?

bookie32

Edited by bookie32