Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Microsoft Clarifies How It Will Update Edge With The Windows Store

At about the 13-minute mark, Pullen states that Edge app, which includes navigation controls, reading view and other similar features will eventually get updated through the store but the engine of Edge will always be updated with Windows Update. The reason for the engine being updated through Windows Update is because that feature powers other universal apps and will require additionally testing to make sure the changes do not impact other parts of the operating system.

What this means is that, when Microsoft does finally enable the ability to update via the Windows Store, it allows the company to deliver features to the browser at a much faster cadence. This should help Edge iterate faster and be able to maintain an update cadence that is similar to Chrome and Firefox for end-user features.

Two things:

1. The stated rationale, that delivering Edge updates through the store makes it possible to deliver features faster, doesn't hold water. Don't know about Chrome, but Firefox releases a new version every six weeks. Microsoft could continue delivering Edge improvements on Patch Tuesday as they have been, and that's a faster monthly cycle than FF's 6-week cycle.
  2. Therefore, this new policy comes off as a further attempt to draw people into the Windows Store. There's no particular reason to deliver Edge updates via the store.

--JorgeA

8 minutes ago, JorgeA said:

Microsoft Clarifies How It Will Update Edge With The Windows Store

Two things:

1. The stated rationale, that delivering Edge updates through the store makes it possible to deliver features faster, doesn't hold water. Don't know about Chrome, but Firefox releases a new version every six weeks. Microsoft could continue delivering Edge improvements on Patch Tuesday as they have been, and that's a faster monthly cycle than FF's 6-week cycle.
  2. Therefore, this new policy comes off as a further attempt to draw people into the Windows Store. There's no particular reason to deliver Edge updates via the store.

--JorgeA

Not only that, only the UI gets updated from the store. The rendering engine still gets updated with Windows Update, so this new store update model has no real benefit to end users.

There's an App called Edge?

There's a Windows Store?

Stable14393.222.png

Assuming you still have one or both installed on your system, please describe what benefits either has brought you.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Edge does have one nice feature that I recently discovered in Bob Anniversary Update. It has a "Cast media to" feature which can stream YouTube content to DLNA/UPnP receivers like big screen smart TVs. Explorer does the same using Windows Media Player.

4 minutes ago, xpclient said:

Edge does have one nice feature that I recently discovered in Bob Anniversary Update. It has a "Cast media to" feature which can stream YouTube content to DLNA/UPnP receivers like big screen smart TVs. Explorer does the same using Windows Media Player.

I do that on android, ios and Windows 7 all the time it's not new to edge....

7 minutes ago, Kelsenellenelvian said:

I do that on android, ios and Windows 7 all the time it's not new to edge....

Which program do you use on Windows 7 for streaming YouTube videos using DLNA/UPnP? :) I looked a lot yesterday and found only "Chrome apps" but they restrict most types of YouTube videos which are marked copyrighted.

Edited by xpclient

2 minutes ago, xpclient said:

So you use Chrome's built-in "Google Cast" functionality? As far as I know, it supports only Chromecast receivers, not DLNA receivers.

Not sure my vizio accepts the videos i send to it. Might be a extension i've picked up from k-lite or chrome extensions.

Registry Editor (regedit) in Windows 10 build 14942 now has an address bar

"Knowing where you are in the registry: For our power users, we have added something special in this build – Registry Editor (regedit) now has an address bar! This enables you to easily see your current registry key path, and copy it if needed. You can also paste or type in paths, and pressing enter will take you to that location. You can use Alt + D to set focus to the address bar."

Wow, some actual improvements to the user experience for us power users... I'm impressed. I thought they would announce they were porting regedit into UWP (God forbid!)

Also, some Kernel improvements!

Service hosts are split into separate processes on PCs with 3.5 GB+ of RAM in build 14942

If your PC has 3.5+ GB of memory, you may notice an increased number of processes in Task Manager. While this change may look concerning at first glance, many will be excited to find out the motivation behind this change. As the number of preinstalled services grew, they began to get grouped into processes known as service hosts (svchost.exe’s) with Windows 2000. Note that the recommended RAM for PC’s for this release was 256 MB, while the minimum RAM was 64MB. Because of the dramatic increase in available memory over the years, the memory-saving advantage of service hosts has diminished.

Basically, now they can cram all of those telemetry and app services with a bit more stability (can't wait to see the number of processes running in Redstone 2)...

What do you guys think of this?

8 hours ago, NoelC said:

There's an App called Edge?

There's a Windows Store?

Stable14393.222.png

Assuming you still have one or both installed on your system, please describe what benefits either has brought you.

-Noel

wow! I would love to know how in the hell you managed to remove all those packages without an integrity error? esp considering the winsxs folder and how picky that is?! impressive

47 minutes ago, jeff69dini said:

wow! I would love to know how in the hell you managed to remove all those packages without an integrity error? esp considering the winsxs folder and how picky that is?! impressive

A while back I published an experimental script that does the job...

http://win10epicfail.proboards.com/thread/100/interested-participating-tweaker-development-test

-Noel

1 hour ago, NoelC said:

A while back I published an experimental script that does the job...

http://win10epicfail.proboards.com/thread/100/interested-participating-tweaker-development-test

-Noel

interesting, will look into it more, thanks. no problem with winsxs corruption?

also forgot, can this script be applied to an offline image or only a live system? :)

Edited by jeff69dini