Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Tell me again why Apple is to be considered successful?

I'm not talking financially.  I mean technically.  There's a good reason Apple hasn't taken over the business world.

No, Apple is NOT a good example.  They actively drop compatibility of things WAY too soon.  They're a hardware company; they want to sell everyone new hardware all the time.  That's why it would be good to get software from a software company.  That Microsoft is trying to become something else is a big part of the problem.

-Noel

All right, this finally tips the scales. I'm going to switch all my PCs to Windows 10 because...

Candy Crush Saga now has 2000 levels on Windows 10 and Windows Phone

The value proposition is now simply irresistible! :P

What’s so special about the 2000th level you wonder? Well, because it will reveal the future of Candy Kingdom, that’s why. The characters Tiffi and Yeti will be attending the Bubblegum Bazaar to meet a fortune teller that will conveniently tell them about what’s next for the game’s illustrious Candy Kingdom. Of course, players are also going to be rewarded with some in-game content like Colour Bombs and boosters.

OMG, how inane can it get?!

--JorgeA

If they can't impress us into becoming store-browsing zombies, at least they can start to condition our children.

Makes you wonder whether that near-extinction event for the human race 75,000 years ago might have actually been caused by Marketing.

-Noel

1 hour ago, NoelC said:

If they can't impress us into becoming store-browsing zombies, at least they can start to condition our children.

Makes you wonder whether that near-extinction event for the human race 75,000 years ago might have actually been caused by Marketing.

-Noel

Naah, marketing is (mostly) harmless :w00t: , AI will be the thing that will drive the next near-extinction, coincidentally:

http://news.microsoft.com/2016/09/29/microsoft-expands-artificial-intelligence-ai-efforts-with-creation-of-new-microsoft-ai-and-research-group/

“We live in a time when digital technology is transforming our lives, businesses and the world, but also generating an exponential growth in data and information,” said Satya Nadella, CEO, Microsoft. “At Microsoft, we are focused on empowering both people and organizations, by democratizing access to intelligence to help solve our most pressing challenges. To do this, we are infusing AI into everything we deliver across our computing platforms and experiences.”

(from the same people that brought to you Tay, the long lived Twitter bot )
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay_(bot)
jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I read that last quote as "by demonizing access to intelligence".

Anyway, i had a dream. Near Windows 10 r4, the mouse will be phased out to introduce XBOX controller functionality. Shortly after MS will announce they are getting out of the game console market.

19 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Naah, marketing is (mostly) harmless :w00t: , AI will be the thing that will drive the next near-extinction, coincidentally:

http://news.microsoft.com/2016/09/29/microsoft-expands-artificial-intelligence-ai-efforts-with-creation-of-new-microsoft-ai-and-research-group/

jaclaz

You know, I find it very important that Microsoft is spending so much time and money on stuff like AI research and holographic glasses, especially since they have extra money to throw around now that their entire QA division has been laid off. Isn't it great that they are thinking about the distant future so much while their current product is broken in too many ways to count and they're not planning on fixing it in the present?

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 8:04 AM, jaclaz said:

Somehow it has been impossible for Microsoft to see the secondary lesson there:  Don't look to the idiotic general public for guidance on what needs to be done in high tech.  The general public is destructive.  Only disciplined design is constructive.

-Noel

18 hours ago, vinifera said:

then whats the purpose of metrocrap OS then ?
tablets surely won't oversell phones

or am I missing something

Yup, there is no purpose to metrocrap OS. Nope, you're not missing anything.  :)

--JorgeA

Zombie advertising in Win10:

PSA: Windows 10's Anniversary Update reactivates ads you've already disabled

It’s no secret that Windows 10’s stuffed with revenue-generating hooks for Microsoft, but I find the idea of a paid-for operating system shoving straight-up ads in my face distasteful, and disabled the Get Office ads and every other ad-related setting months ago. After a bit of poking and prodding, I discovered that beyond reinstalling the Get Office app that surfaces those notifications, the Anniversary Update also re-enabled Start menu and lock screen ads, essentially tossing my explicit choice to disable them out the window. And it did so without consent or even a notice that these changes were happening in the background.

Brad Chacos goes on to conclude:

Don’t get me wrong: Windows 10 is still the best Windows ever, and the Anniversary Update is stuffed with all sorts of cool new features. But deliberately anti-user decisions like this and the forced Windows 10 upgrade fiasco are starting to really wear thin, Microsoft. Windows 10 is great! Stomp trampling over user choice and let it speak for itself.

These repeated disclaimers that Win10 is "the best Windows ever" except for all its numerous annoyances and outrages is wearing thin. It's high time to flip the thinking, and start saying that Windows 10 is "the worst Windows ever despite a smattering of isolated improvements here and there."

--JorgeA

8 hours ago, JorgeA said:

Zombie advertising in Win10:

PSA: Windows 10's Anniversary Update reactivates ads you've already disabled

Brad Chacos goes on to conclude:

These repeated disclaimers that Win10 is "the best Windows ever" except for all its numerous annoyances and outrages is wearing thin. It's high time to flip the thinking, and start saying that Windows 10 is "the worst Windows ever despite a smattering of isolated improvements here and there."

--JorgeA

Well, isn't that what I have been saying all along...How can something be so good with so many problems... the idea that Microsoft after all the time they spent on development of Windows 10 can produce something that is far from ready for the open market....but still shove it down our throats with either an upgrade or recommended update is just priceless...long live Microsoft with this attitude....:ph34r:

bookie32