Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 4:37 PM, NoelC said:

And now this:

Remove software related to the Windows 10 free upgrade offer

The question is:  What new, unwanted things does it install?

-Noel

Great question. I've hidden this update from my Win7 systems. At best, it's pointless. It's not like we have 500MB hard drives anymore.

--JorgeA

Microsoft confirms Windows 10 adoption slowdown

Microsoft today acknowledged that the Windows 10 adoption pace had slowed when it claimed the new operating system was running on approximately 400 million devices.

[...]

The increase of 50 million over more than 12 weeks -- or about 17 million every four weeks -- was lower than during the free upgrade offer period. For example, in the eight weeks from May 5 to June 29, Microsoft claimed 50 million active users were added to the Windows 10 rolls, or 25 million every four weeks.

--JorgeA

9 hours ago, JorgeA said:

Great question. I've hidden this update from my Win7 systems. At best, it's pointless. It's not like we have 500MB hard drives anymore.

--JorgeA

Consider this. It is a program that can be used to do an upgrade install of your OS. Just imagine that as a malware attack vector.

3 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Consider this. It is a program that can be used to do an upgrade install of your OS. Just imagine that as a malware attack vector.

Trip, do you mean the Win10 upgrade bits, or the update that Microsoft is offering to get rid of 'em? (I think you mean the former, but want to make sure.)

--JorgeA

2 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

The original upgrading software.

Yeah, I can see that that could be a problem.

OTOH we don't know what else might be in the update that removes the upgrade, so we're in a bit of a quandary as to what to do.

As a case in point of updates doing things that would seem to have nothing to do with their advertised purpose, consider KB3185911. My Vista work system stopped looking for Windows Updates two weeks ago, and it wasn't until I manually downloaded this update and installed it that Vista was able to find the rest of this month's patches. Now as to what a Graphics Device Interface vulnerability could possibly have to do with finding Windows Updates, I haven't the faintest idea; and yet, installing that patch somehow fixes Windows Update. :wacko:

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA
typo

Do you even have GWX?  If so how did it get in?  We've been talking on this site about blocking the updates that brought it in since some time back in 2015 as I recall.

You could search your whole system for any file that has GWX in the name.  My Win 7 setup looks like this:

NoGWX.png

-Noel

12 hours ago, NoelC said:

Do you even have GWX?  If so how did it get in?  We've been talking on this site about blocking the updates that brought it in since some time back in 2015 as I recall.

You could search your whole system for any file that has GWX in the name.  My Win 7 setup looks like this:

NoGWX.png

-Noel

I don't have GWX (thankfully!). The last several posts have all been as a result of your post from earlier this week.

--JorgeA

Microsoft will leave the consumer smartphone market “for a few years” according to new Microsoft France President

Earlier this week, Microsoft France unveiled a new leadership team with Vahé Torossian, previously Corporate Vice President, Worldwide Small, Mid-market Solutions & Partners Group as the new President of the subsidiary. Today, the new exec give an interview to French publication Le Point where he reiterated that Microsoft would no longer target Windows phones to consumers for now.

According to the new exec, Microsoft is acknowledging that iOS and Android phones are currently more attractive for consumers today and that’s why the company is now focusing its mobile efforts on enterprise customers.[...]

The rationale for the UI-wrecking Windows 10 just keeps getting smaller and smaller.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

have several backups of win 10 v 1511

extreme measures of disconnecting my lan seems to be useless

gpedit.msc as Noel suggested

lets see if it holds

could easily go back to 8.1 or 7

One reason stick with win 10, adobe suite works well

when upgrade occurred, 1607, adobe suite did not work well

so  back to 1511

Charl

>when upgrade occurred, 1607, adobe suite did not work well

How long will holding back on 1511 keep?  3 or 4 months is all Microsoft seems to think you'll need (e.g., by the delay you can dial in).  If not - and what's the guarantee that all the problems will be worked out in a few months - then what?  Go "off reservation" and continue running an intermediate Windows 10 version for as long as Microsoft allows it?  Yes, you can stop updates, but what is the use of that?  Settle for a lesser operating system only to stop updating it?  Why not just not start with Win 10 in the first place.

This is precisely the reason that when it comes to using Win 10 for serious stuff (e.g., creating content with the Adobe suite) the only winning move is not to play.

Who in Microsoft said it's good and proper to release a new operating system every half a year?  That's just ridiculous!

-Noel

56 minutes ago, NoelC said:

Who in Microsoft said it's good and proper to release a new operating system every half a year?  That's just ridiculous!

Well, Apple has been releasing new OS versions once a year for awhile now? They, at least, haven't gone out of their way to arbitrarily break random things like MS seems to be doing with W10 (they do have this nasty habit of arbitrarily dropping hardware support every few years, but that's a whole other can of worms).

I think this rapid release nonsense is the new Order Of Things, unfortunately.

c