Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

5 hours ago, NoelC said:

Software does NOT make itself modular!

True. But that's beside the point, here, because NT-OSes are modular OSes by nature.
So they may create one catalog. One single .inf, too. And obfuscate some more. But, at the end of the day, NT-OS files are just modules. And, hence, whatever unwanted payback *is* a file (or a bunch of files) which, either have a previous version that can be rolled back to, or are not previously part of the OS, being thus, by nature, removable. In other words, when one that hates olives but cannot order them out of his/her dish, one may always pick 'em out, by hand, after being served, now, ain't it so? :D

On 9/19/2016 at 1:20 PM, dencorso said:

True. But that's beside the point, here, because NT-OSes are modular OSes by nature.

Right, but the original Windows NT was designed back when Microsoft actually put thought into how they developed their operating systems. Now with Windows 10, they seem to only want to work with one singular codebase. One update modifying everything, nowhere near the modularity of the past. Any modularity remaining is just left over from the original NT architecture.

Edited by rn10950

My neighbor, whom I helped to fix his Win10 installation, tells me that after some recent update he no longer gets the jump list when right-clicking on the IE icon in the Taskbar.

Is anybody else here experiencing that? My test laptop is currently running a long project in Win7, so I can't check to see if I have the same problem.

--JorgeA

Looks like MSFT can't get its own drivers to work right:

Surface Pro 3 plagued by yet another battery problem

And, according to Woody, the company's performance on this issue leaves much to be desired:

Many of you recall the Simplo battery kerfuffle. I first read about it on March 16, when Charles McKay posted a cry for battery help on the Microsoft Answers forum titled “Surface Pro 3 serious battery drain issue.” (Microsoft has since removed his post.) On May 11, Kridsada Thanabulpong, posting on the Microsoft Answers forum, reported that his Surface Pro 3 battery would only last one to two hours on a charge. (The post is still there.) Microsoft wanted $560 to fix the battery, as the machine had gone out of warranty.

[...]

Confronted by the obvious problem, Microsoft stalled. Various employees blamed anything they could conjure up. Finally, on July 27 we got confirmation of the problem -- and it was finally fixed in a firmware update on Aug. 29. Those who were charged $500 or $600 to have their defective batteries replaced received a refund. That’s more than five months to fix a faulty battery driver.

Now it looks like Microsoft’s trying to sweep this second SP3 battery problem under the same rug.

[emphasis added]

--JorgeA

2 hours ago, JorgeA said:

Looks like MSFT can't get its own drivers to work right:

Surface Pro 3 plagued by yet another battery problem

And, according to Woody, the company's performance on this issue leaves much to be desired:

[emphasis added]

--JorgeA

Well, why should Microsoft care....? It would be a first.....Microsoft haven't got the first idea of good practice...."The customer is always right"...It is probably likely that thousands of computers across the planet have died because of Windows 10...and now we have there own that doesn't come up to any reliable standard...?!!

And..to top it all they are palming off thes crappy computers with huge reductions...One thought it was a campaign to sell more Windows 10 computers - but turns out to be away of getting rid of a bad product....;)

bookie32

On 2016-09-21 at 4:56 AM, JorgeA said:

My neighbor, whom I helped to fix his Win10 installation, tells me that after some recent update he no longer gets the jump list when right-clicking on the IE icon in the Taskbar.

Is anybody else here experiencing that? My test laptop is currently running a long project in Win7, so I can't check to see if I have the same problem.

--JorgeA

Seems to work in 14926 anyway...

I got stung by Win10's insistence on changing things unannounced. Late yesterday, I installed the most recent cumulative update on my test laptop.

This afternoon I happened to take a look at the laptop, and I noticed that a DC (distributed computing) program that I keep running 24/7 was not running. Huh?

A trip to the program's folder indicated that the last data save had taken place shortly after 4AM this morning (4:08). Which means that I lost about 10 hours' worth of DC work -- time that it could have been working but was not... because Windows 10 had restarted itself automatically and without alerting me that it was going to do this.

I had heard about this "active hours" crap, but had not seen it operating on my Win10 system. It must have come in with the Anniversary Update and I'd forgotten all about this "feature." Apparently it gave a 5-minute reboot warning -- at something like 4:03 AM. :angry: On previous times when a reboot was needed to finish installing an update, Windows 10 always told me it needed to restart and asked me to select a time to reboot.

Fortunately I have Win10 Pro and found a Group Policy setting to get rid of this B.S. Bye-bye, Active Hours, I've reclaimed control over when my own computer reboots.

One more obnoxious aspect of Windows 10, one more reason I will never use it for work. They claim to be "simplifying" Windows for non-techies, but this kind of stunt shows that in reality you now need to follow what Windows is up to more closely than ever before, lest the geniuses at Microsoft change something else to mess things up.

Oh, and I lost the Windows Start Button orb, although not Classic Shell itself. Had to retrieve it from my archives.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

13 hours ago, mikedigitize said:

Seems to work in 14926 anyway...

My neighbor rebooted the computer and it seems to be working OK again. Wonder if the missing jump list could have been due to some memory leak that forced the PC to reassign RAM just to stay operational.

--JorgeA

Stung by another 'feature'. Windows 10 tried to update the tablet again last night.

Got me asking, why?  Its set to metered connection, yet it was attempting to install the AU 1607.

Ahh, So the metered setting is for EACH wifi access point you use/select. It remembers the settings, but defaults off for new connections.

I switched to a different access point, and it thought it could go nuts downloading!

When I checked the adapter settings, it was back to un-metered for the AP I was now using. (Tethered 4G mobile phone)

The very annoying part is each update reboot takes in excess of 30mins of 'Getting Windows Ready" before its usable again.

Feel hostage to the machine.

Cheers

Spoiler

1 hour ago, ralcool said:

Stung by another 'feature'. Windows 10 tried to update the tablet again last night.

Feel hostage to the machine.

Isn't it a great feeling?  Keep doing it, and you'll come to crave it.  Soon you'll start to experience actual pain when you try to think, and especially when you try to not spend money at the App Store...

---

Okay, in all seriousness, why is the "Metered Connection Trick" still a thing?  There is a direct way, after all...

1. Run gpedit.msc.
  2. Navigate into Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.
  3. Set the Configure Automatic Updates entry to Disabled.

As an alternative if you don't have gpedit.msc, my little application tweaks the registry setting.

ConfigureAutomaticUpdates.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

5 hours ago, NoelC said:

As an alternative if you don't have gpedit.msc, my little application tweaks the registry setting.

Nice work, Noel! :thumbup

Hey, if you created this as a UWP app, do you think Microsoft would let you put it in the Windows Store? :angel

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA
addition ;-)

5 hours ago, JorgeA said:

Nice work, Noel! :thumbup

Hey, if you created this as a UWP app, do you think Microsoft would let you put it in the Windows Store? :angel

--JorgeA

That's like putting a craftsman amongst the apprentices and kind of doubtful Msoft will allow that as the embarrassment is too much to handle 

8 hours ago, JorgeA said:

That would be a hoot.  I wonder whether a significant number of users would pay e.g., $0.99 for an App that purports to give them back control...

Thing is, Microsoft would take a big percentage of that profit, and I won't be rewarding them for any of this Metro/Modern/Universal s***.

-Noel