Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Just now, ralcool said:

Overnight two posts about tablets mysteriously disappear.

Yep, but nothing actually "fundamental", I reported briefly my (positive) expereience wiht an el-cheapo (but not too shabby) little tablet the Chuwi 8 Pro that can dual boot Android and Windows 10, finding out how for the specific things that needs to be done on it (browsing a few sites and update some offers) it worked very nicely with both Android and Windows 10 , and concluding how Windows 10 is a working alternative to Android :w00t: on that machine.

And you confirmed your positive experience with the bigger brother Chuwi 10.

If I recall correctly I also commented this:

On domenica 11 settembre 2016 at 8:11 PM, NoelC said:

Wow, so the world really does have more intelligence than a potato.

The peaks and valleys are also telling.  It seems that operating systems people NEED dip on the weekends and operating systems that offer frivolity peak on the weekend.  Note that despite two "in-place upgrades" Windows 10 weekend peaks haven't changed, and if anything have gotten higher.

-Noel

hinting that maybe on business the IT guys "force" users to use "good" Operating Systems (that the IT department  can *somehow* control) while at home people is "forced" to use the stupid Windows 10 because that is what comes with new devices.

jaclaz

Thanks for the explanation Noel & JorgeA, I noticed the site was unavailable for a while.

In other news the tablet again did more updates, to 10586.545 (from 420) Only obvious change is now a dwm incompatibility msg from aeroglass. Great.

Did BM even cover this newer version.. This is why I don"t want/need updates!!!!! It doesn't care much for the metered setting. And there more still listed waiting to install if I lift the metering.

It must be a Windows 10 Home thing.. the i7 with Win10 Pro gagged with registry to 'never check' iirc, is still holding at 10586.420

I expect to wake up any morning to a brick.

6 hours ago, xpclient said:

Time taken to download and install updates on Windows 7 and 8.1 this month: 10 min each. Same PC on Microsoft Bob 10 AU: Several hours. Productivity reinvented. :angry:

Makes me wonder...  What didn't we pay attention to while they had us distracted with the Win 7 CPU long-time-looping-during-update mess.

Certainly some folks' computers overheated.  And others (well, 2 or 3) were pushed over the edge to change their OS to Win 10.  What else did they pull off - which was more important to them - while we users and the press (e.g., AskWoody) were focused on trying to fix the update process.  Were they trying to make us so happy by fixing the update process they specifically broke that they think we'll now gladly accept the upcoming cumulative, all-inclusive update packages for Win 7 and 8?

-Noel

4 hours ago, vinifera said:

i doubt this charts
since winblows 10 just like 8, is "1 for all"
it probably doesn't identify itself as "desktop" and "mobile"

thus every moron running winblows 10 on tablet and phone is added to this list of "usage"

That's an interesting point, vinifera. Wonder how (or even if) the market-share websites make this distinction.

--JorgeA

You can remove Cortana from Windows 10, but it's tricky

This procedure was done on the latest build of Windows 10, which is 1607 (the Anniversary Update). Once complete you’ll have a regular search bar like in previous versions of Windows.

Also check out a pair of on-point comments below the main article from user Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

--JorgeA

What's been fixed and what's still broken in Windows 10

Good rundown of Win10 issues. Meanwhile, a commenter on Woody's website put together a fairly depressing compendium of problems that users have been encountering:

Well, one post is certainly not enough to list all the things broken… and each update adds loads of more bugs. Not even Dell computers can handle the junk anymore (Local Session Manager hangs after each update so you have to pull the plug…, orphaned Internet Explorer processes every now and then when delete history on exit is enabled, SmartScreen won’t delete temp files (URLxxxx.tmp), Windows Media Player ends up in an infinite loop after a while when streaming audio, explorer.exe crashes randomly, icons/folders of fresh installed software are locked in start menu until explorer.exe gets restarted, Windows Modules Installer Worker (tiworker.exe) runs forever freezing the mouse!, name the other thousands of bugs introduced in Windows 10 here). Apparently, Microsoft is breaking everything that was not broken in previous versions of Windows, and Widows 10 is by far the worst and most unreliable Windows version since Windows 98.

--JorgeA

Curiously, my Vista and 7 systems have recently started experiencing slowdowns related to svchost.exe eating up increasing amounts of RAM. Coincidence? Don't know if it's related, but I wonder. Today I had to kill svchost.exe on my main Vista system and, ever since, Explorer has been slow as molasses and (other than the window frame) the Explorer UI has reverted to a Windows 98-type look.

--JorgeA

The svchost.exe process is a wrapper application that can run many services.  It would be best if you could isolate which one is chewing up memory.  Just ending the svchost process is hitting the problem with too big a hammer.  It would be best to reboot.

The quite good tool Process Hacker 2 will allow you (on hovering the mouse) to see what services are actually running in each svchost process, and you can even stop them individually.

-Noel

About svchost.exe and how to analyze it, I found I had Sysinternals' Process Explorer version (15.22) hidden away in a subdirectory on the Vista box.  :)

The culprit seems to be wuauserv, which as I write this is taking up 46.43% of CPU cycles. And this is after a reboot.

Problems with Windows Update are increasingly common for older Windows OSes ever since 10 came out. By chance... or by design? Inquiring minds want to know... :dubbio:

--JorgeA