Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Perhaps they (the upgraders) have not yet been able to coerce Windows 10 into allowing them to surf the Internet, which presumably is where the above figures come from.  Maybe they just love Apps so much that they just don't surf any more.

Or more likely there is no "they" upgrading at all, and ALL the "adoptions" of Windows 10 are coming from new device sales.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

On 10.09.2016. at 4:43 PM, JorgeA said:

Windows 10 usage continues its steady climb, but Windows 7 is holding steady:

Doesn't look like that on Statcounter.:no: You can clearly see stagnation after "suicide" offer ends.

StatCounter-os-ww-daily-20151012-20160910.png

http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-ww-daily-20151012-20160910

Edited by 351837

Wow, so the world really does have more intelligence than a potato.

The peaks and valleys are also telling.  It seems that operating systems people NEED dip on the weekends and operating systems that offer frivolity peak on the weekend.  Note that despite two "in-place upgrades" Windows 10 weekend peaks haven't changed, and if anything have gotten higher.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

On Tuesday, September 06, 2016 at 1:31 PM, NoelC said:

Did you install the latest release?  I don't recall that installer behaving that way.  For me it went right in and, like you, my Classic Shell configuration was maintained.  And of course it works perfectly in Windows 10 - not incompatible in any way (except incompatible with Microsoft's idiotic dumbing-down of everything in order to herd sheep).

FWIW, I'm running Classic Shell version  4.2.5 on the Win10 AU.

--JorgeA

4 hours ago, 351837 said:

Doesn't look like that on Statcounter.:no: You can clearly see stagnation after "suicide" offer ends.

StatCounter-os-ww-daily-20151012-20160910.png

http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-ww-daily-20151012-20160910

That's very interesting, thanks!

One trend that stands out for me is that Win7 and Win10 usage seem to have stabilized since the end of July:

StatCounter-os-ww-daily-20160512-20160910.png

http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-ww-daily-20160512-20160910

Curiously, if you go to that page and hover the mouse pointer over the graphs, the Win10 and Win7 lines both flatten out almost completely right around the July 29-August 2 period when the "free" updowngrade offer expired and the Anniversary Update became available.

--JorgeA

50 minutes ago, Shining Escuridao said:

Why classic shell 4.2.5 and not 4.3.0?

The main reason is that I didn't know that there was a new version. :)

When the AU was installed over 1511, Classic Shell was removed and my next action was to go into the Downloads directory to install CS again from there.

--JorgeA

Just now, jaclaz said:

hinting that maybe on business the IT guys "force" users to use "good" Operating Systems (that the IT department  can *somehow* control) while at home people is "forced" to use the stupid Windows 10 because that is what comes with new devices.

I'm not sure I agree, though that is a possible interpretation.

Given that OS X spikes up on the weekend, I hold to my original judgment.  Upticks in usage of fun-n-games operating systems on the weekend, upticks in serious "to work" operating systems during the week.  And the two are unfortunately not - though could be - the same.  There is significant information to be taken away from those spikes.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC