Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

On Tuesday, September 06, 2016 at 1:31 PM, NoelC said:

Did you install the latest release?  I don't recall that installer behaving that way.  For me it went right in and, like you, my Classic Shell configuration was maintained.  

I'll have to go back into Win10 and check which version of Classic Shell is in there. (It was a busy week.)

--JorgeA

16 hours ago, NoelC said:

Might be just the filename.  That's the same kind of "incompatibility" one used to see with the Classic Shell installer until renaming it.

But even more fundamentally...  What business does an operating system have in refusing to try to run something?

The gear needs to obey the human.  Unconditionally.  Imagine you're in your car, in the middle of passing someone on a 2 lane road, and need to mash the accelerator pedal and go a bit faster in order to complete the pass and get back into your lane safely before a collision...  Then your car just out of the blue reports "Going faster is incompatible at this time".

-Noel

Worse yet, you try to hit the brakes to avoid the crash but at that moment "Windows 10 Auto" disables the controls with an overlay that you need to reboot to install some Updates, would you like to do it now or do it later tonight...

--JorgeA

It's amazing. That one feature has endured from Windows 98 (or 95 with Active Desktop Update), where it was first introduced, all the way through 7 and 8.x, where it was deprecated in favor of "pinning."

Like XP, the Quick Launch simply won't die :)

So, since it's now been rediscovered yet again, it's probably the *only* thing in W10 that's actually good, Right? :lol:

c

Edited by cc333

20 hours ago, NoelC said:

Good point...  :P

Anyone here running VMware on a Win 10 host?  I've only run Win 10 as a guest.  I suspect it must work but I have no experience...  Speaking of which, I skipped version 12.  I suppose VMware version 13, er, 12.5 ought to be out soon.

-Noel

Just installed VMware player 12 'Free Edition' on a fresh Chuwi hi10 Chinese Dual OS tablet. (Windows 10 Home (1511.420) / Android 5.1 preinstalled)

I did that to run a small installation of XP SP3/x86 for some 16bit based software I need access to. Good to keep a working XP licence and ISO handy.

Obviously I've run O&O to quiet down the telemetry, but this thing runs very lean anyway. Android mode is pretty awesome too. Clean and fast.

VMware would the the last mob to be put off or confused about M$ playing tricks with arbitrary version blocking. Their Job Description  is running whole OS's on 'incorrect' hardware!

Cheers

Windows 10 usage continues its steady climb, but Windows 7 is holding steady:

OS market share Sept 2016.png

[source: https://netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qptimeframe=M&qpsp=201&qpnp=11&qpch=350&qpdisplay=111111111111110&qpdt=1&qpct=4&qpcustomb=0&qpcid=fw1035560&qpf=1]

Despite this year's push by Microsoft to nudge or trick users into installing Windows 10, Win7 share is barely one-half of one percent less than it was five months ago. One possible explanation is that almost as many XP/Vista users are migrating to Win7 as 7 users are moving to 10.

--JorgeA

Heh heh heh, what would happen (and I'm not saying this is what's happening, just what if) Microsoft rolled out an IE update that occasionally would report that it's running on Windows 10 even though it's not, and further, that the definition of "occasionally" was changed so that the frequency would increase linearly as time goes on.

WhatIfItWereTrue.jpg

-Noel

Well, companies will cheat on car emissions tests, or keep selling talcum powder when signs point to it causing ovarian cancer (as two recent examples), so MS fudging some OS use stats seems like a no brainer.

Too bad though, even if the charts said 99.99999% of all computers ran windows 10, i still wouldnt use it.

16 hours ago, NoelC said:

Thanks for posting that chart.  The straightness of the Win 10 line seems almost unnatural, doesn't it?

-Noel

Let me think, let's say I produce *something* at a steady rate of - say - 100 pieces a month, and this *something* comes with Windows 10 "embedded"...

... and Windows 10 is also available to all the people that wants it (de gustibus ...) is it likely that they adopt the OS at the same rate as I produce the *something* and sell it? :dubbio:

What I completely fail to see is a step-up (or step down) around end of july 2016 (the famous deadline about the "free" upgrade) where have the late, last minute adopters gone? :unsure:

jaclaz