Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

1 hour ago, TELVM said:

Microsoft made 'em do it: The latest Kaby Lake, Zen chips will support only Windows 10

I HAD been following Zen's development with some interest. Not anymore.

Thats  really hell.

I will stay with my sandybridge , Skylake and Buldozer cpu .

Wanna know what gonna problem with hardware manufacturer to accept hell words from MS?

On 27. kolovoz 2016. at 10:45 PM, NoelC said:

Maybe the whole thing will just fall so flat on its face that they'll resurrect the Win 7 source code and start again there.

Hey, it's what *I'd* do if I were hired in as CEO to replace a failed regime.

-Noel

this would be the only "save" for them at this point

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 1:32 PM, jaclaz said:

Maybe (coincidence) the newly named PC-BSD (now TrueOS) will fit the bill:

https://www.trueos.org/more-on-trueos/

jaclaz

I suspect that it will take a sufficiently concerned tech billionaire (Steve Wozniak?) to jump-start any alternative OS for it to become a viable competitor to Windows.

And actually less important than the OS itself will be the existence of standards-compliant software for it. A "deep pockets" sponsor would have the wherewithal to fund the development of applications for the new OS that could handle files created in Windows.

--JorgeA

Hi guys!

Well, open source is the only way forward. there is a mountain of knowledge out there far better than anything Microsoft can produce...just needs support...

7 minutes ago, JorgeA said:

I suspect that it will take a sufficiently concerned tech billionaire (Steve Wozniak?) to jump-start any alternative OS for it to become a viable competitor to Windows.

And actually less important than the OS itself will be the existence of standards-compliant software for it. A "deep pockets" sponsor would have the wherewithal to fund the development of applications for the new OS that could handle files created in Windows.

--JorgeA

What files are we actually talking about...because there are already open source programs/software that support certain Microsoft products even if Microsoft are not very positive about it...

Linux and BSD are already far superior than anything Microsoft can produce and Windows 10 is a certain  front runner in the category of being out and out crap!!

bookie32

Considering that (for example) MS Office is at present the standard for business applications, then business software for a new OS would need to be fully compatible with Office files.

Compatibility tests that I've read between LibreOffice and MS Office have not been very encouraging. LibreOffice seems to often make a mess of the formatting. In my own experience, with Change Tracking set to On, deletions made from a .DOC file in Word are frequently not recognized by LibreOffice, such that when the file comes back from the LibreOffice user you see both the text that you had deleted and the new text that you added all running together -- making it necessary to delete the unwanted text all over again. I've also run into CR/LF issues, where deletions of unwanted CR/LFs are ignored.

It's these sorts of niggling issues that need to be ironed out before Linux (or any other non-Windows OS) becomes a viable alternative for business. And boy do I want a viable Windows alternative!

--JorgeA

Yes, I can agree on that...when you are used to a type of software for a long time...while I can agree that Libre isn't perfect...it is a start and an attempt by the open Source community to give the customer options...needs more work...yes!

Who knows the current climate regarding what Microsoft is doing/done/about to  do might just prompt even better development in the Open Source community to help put Microsoft in a large coffin about a hundred miles down where it is quite warm...I am told (no personal experience...:w00t:)

bookie32

Is Satya Nadella hurting Microsoft in the long-run or is he the saviour that Bill Gates initially believed?

A large amount of the increased share price currently is based on Microsoft’s cloud offerings, its other product lines contributed minimally – Windows and PC sales are down, mobile has plummeted, tablets and 2-in-1s are barely gaining traction and even the Xbox division has been beaten by PlayStation consistently...

With the hideous UI and the "our way or the highway" attitude to running Windows, is it any wonder that Microsoft is struggling in so many aspects of its business?

--JorgeA

5 minutes ago, bookie32 said:

Yes, I can agree on that...when you are used to a type of software for a long time...while I can agree that Libre isn't perfect...it is a start and an attempt by the open Source community to give the customer options...needs more work...yes!

Who knows the current climate regarding what Microsoft is doing/done/about to  do might just prompt even better development in the Open Source community to help put Microsoft in a large coffin about a hundred miles down where it is quite warm...I am told (no personal experience...:w00t:)

bookie32

My next step will be to test PDF editors for Linux and their compatibility with Adobe Acrobat. Is there any PDF software for Linux out there that offers its own PDF printer drivers? In my limited testing so far, the native Linux PDF printer driver (Netrunner 16.16) seems to create enormously-sized PDFs of webpages printed into PDF. IIRC the same sample article from a newspaper website printed into a 27KB file in Adobe on Windows, but into a 4.1MB file in Linux. :blink:

Linux will look more and more attractive, if and as these kinks get ironed out. I can hardly wait. :yes:

--JorgeA

Rooting around the Group Policy Editor, I found the following setting:

Custom UI.png

Wondering three things:

1. What are some examples of the "alternate interface" programs mentioned in the first long paragraph of the description?
  2. Will any such alternate programs actually work in Windows 10?
  3. Could this setting (assuming that it's not ignored) be used to install and use an Aero Glass-style UI?

--JorgeA

That is something dating back to Windows 2000, corresponds to alternative shell, just like you can set CMD.EXE as shell, at the end of the day it is a key in the Registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell

or

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\Shell

And typically you would use a dedicated program, such as Carapace or ShellOn:

http://blackbox4windows.com/index.php?/topic/40-how-to-install-blackbox/

There are not that many alternative shells available, though good ol' BlackBox/BBlean (now BBzero) is reported to work fine, at least on some versions of Windows 10 (cannot say speciifically latest ones/AU):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alternative_shells_for_Windows

jaclaz