Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

3 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Meaning that - besides the obvious patriotic preference for Beretta - till now one of the very good things is (was) amount of shots available.

With near 400 ft-lbs on tap you really only need one per perp if you're any good at it.  Do you see a lot of situations with more than 15 people trying to take your computer?  If you do, there's always the concept of having a second mag ready.  :)

-Noel

@JorgeA

That article is made out mostly of truisms (unneeded) such as "technology evolves and so does counter-techology" and of FUD "since a single german hacker managed to workaround Apple touchID then all biometrics technology is compromised".

Remember if "they" are after you, "they" ALREADY pwn you.

@NoelC

In case of  a second mag, I would have 30 rounds more, just because moar! ;)

... and you wouldn't even need basic math skills ...

Spoiler

basic_math.jpg

jaclaz

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:31 PM, JorgeA said:

Speaking of Cortana, this just hit me last night. Here's the Cortana logo:

Cortana-logo.png

And here is the "eye" of the all-seeing, control-freak computer HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey:

180px-HAL9000.svg.png

Is it a simple case of sci-fi geekiness, or perhaps a statement of ultimate intent?  Cortana's quest to monitor everything about Windows 10 users to better "help" them comes uncomfortably close to "life imitating art." :ph34r:

--JorgeA

Are you implying Cortana is acting with divine intent?  That was ultimately Hal's excuse.

That could explain a lot.  Cortana driven by Lucifer.

-Noel

Mary Jo Foley came up with some figures from Microsoft as to the proportion of Windows users who downgraded their machines to Windows 10 as a result of the company's Win10 push (starts at 9:45):

MJF: If you really look at the overall numbers, how many people update Windows through an update, instead of waiting to get a new PC or getting it through a volume licensing contract at their business? It's small.

AZ: Is there a number? I've always wondered that. I asked Paul but he didn't have -- I'd imagine it would be a fraction. I'm not talking about Enterprise, I'm talking about consumer market. It has to be a fraction of the percentage of PCs out there.

MJF: It is. We've all asked for the number, and obviously, I understand why they don't want to give us the number. But I had heard at one point that it's under five percent of all eligible PCs. It's really small. Even with the free update, it's still that small.

If this percentage is anywhere near the truth, it speaks very well of the ability of non-techie users to defend their computing preferences against the lures, the nagging, and even the trickery of their Redmond overlords.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA
added hyperlink

Another insightful observation from a commenter on Woody's website about yet another Windows 10 update screw-up:

Ms completely lost control over windows development. And I suspect they cant regain control bcoz when they decide to use users as debuggers they got rid of all the developers that counted (and cost serious money) and now they have no talent. Moreover, once you reach this level of chaos its impossible to recover even WITH top talent.

--JorgeA

I have to disagree.

I am pretty sure that there are still quite a few very capable and talented developers at MS (though possibly a few less than they used to be) but they are seriously mismanaged and given foolish or pointless objectives.

The problem is all (as it happened before and not only in MS, but everywhere) in the decision-makers and in management, not in the actual people that do things.

jaclaz

18 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

I have to disagree.

I am pretty sure that there are still quite a few very capable and talented developers at MS (though possibly a few less than they used to be) but they are seriously mismanaged and given foolish or pointless objectives.

The problem is all (as it happened before and not only in MS, but everywhere) in the decision-makers and in management, not in the actual people that do things.

jaclaz

if this goes on who knows what will happen

I do remember reading somewhere that MSFT let go of a big portion of the team that used to test Windows Updates, in favor of having Windows users serve as guinea pigs.

Apropos of these last few posts, here's another commenter on Woody's website:

The market is ripe for a new Bill Gates with a Linux-based product that is designed for ordinary people. Apple is content to be a specialty supplier that sells only premium-priced products.

--JorgeA

Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

That has a ring to it. Maybe it could be a marketing campaign.

You dont get deeper impressions of us, we get deeper impressions of you. Love MS & NSA.

or Windows 10 - Deeper Impression; one fingerprint, email, and voice clip at a time.

Edited by MikeyV

Peter Bright seems like trying to convince us that after all the MS flawed approach to updates could be fixed by using the Google Chrome or Mozilla approach:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/kindle-crashes-and-broken-powershell-something-isnt-right-with-windows-10-testing/

Either he has not re-read his article after having written it or he is intentionally failing at it. :w00t:

A whole OS is very, VERY different from a browser, and an approach (which BTW it is not IMHO particularly good ) for the latter SURELY cannot be adopted for the former.

jaclaz

1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

Peter Bright seems like trying to convince us that after all the MS flawed approach to updates could be fixed by using the Google Chrome or Mozilla approach:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/kindle-crashes-and-broken-powershell-something-isnt-right-with-windows-10-testing/

Either he has not re-read his article after having written it or he is intentionally failing at it. :w00t:

A whole OS is very, VERY different from a browser, and an approach (which BTW it is not IMHO particularly good ) for the latter SURELY cannot be adopted for the former.

jaclaz

Yeah, my favorite part is

None of this is excusable. I wrote last Friday that issues like the webcam problem would "inevitably recur" due to the problems of Microsoft's current testing regime: lack of internal testing (the people who did this were laid off); Insiders not testing on real systems (because they're advised not to use it on their primary PCs); and Insiders tending to give poor feedback (they're not professional testers, and Microsoft's very weak release notes give no indication of what things have been changed and hence need testing in the first place).

MS laid off their QA department, and is now wondering why there are all these issues?

For this browser-type update model to even have an attempt at working (which it won't) you need to have a lot of professional testers, as the stakes are much higher when you need to push out these updates so rapidly. So MS attempts this by laying off their QA department and using external testers that probably have little to no experience with development, let alone OS development?

Maybe the whole thing will just fall so flat on its face that they'll resurrect the Win 7 source code and start again there.

Hey, it's what *I'd* do if I were hired in as CEO to replace a failed regime.

-Noel