Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

I forget now, but it was one of those things that enables the classic (Win95-style) theme, and WD kept marking it as malware. It was ClassicTheme.exe, I think.

I'm thinking, in an effort to future-proof myself slightly (and because licenses seem to be almost dirt-cheap now), would Windows 8.1 be any better? My understanding is that it still has a little bit of sanity left (once all the Metro bits are removed).

Yeah, I had AVG Free do that back in like 2008-2009, where it wasn't detecting the files themselves as viruses, but it detected some sort of benign virus, and in the process of removing it, corrupted all my files that were infected (it was quite a few, as I recall). Bitdefender didn't do that, so I switched (they didn't have a decent free edition, though, so after the subscription lapsed, I went with MSE until I came across Avast Free, which seems to work rather well, and was highly rated. The best part is that the current version still fully supports XP (as far as I can tell).

c

1 hour ago, JorgeA said:

I was going to be a smart-aleck and warn you that, No! You need to keep that reputation number down as low as possible!!

So, that means, in non-smart-aleck terms, that it is a good thing?

I'm a bit confused, but okay. You have almost 500 of them, and you haven't been banned, so I guess they're good!

c

EDIT: Just gave you a reputation!

p.s. Thank you for bearing with me here, as I'm new to this "reputation" feature (which, I surmise, is akin to the "Like" button which exists in Facebook and such).

Edited by cc333

... meanwhile in Redmond ...

A very well worded backtracking ...

Enterprise customers are moving to Windows 10 faster than any version of Windows. At the same time, we recognize that, in some instances, customers have a few systems that require longer deployment timeframes. We listened to this feedback and today are sharing an update to our 6th Gen Intel Core (Skylake) support policy.* We have extended the support period from July 17, 2018 to the end of support dates for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1; and we will provide all applicable security updates.

https://blogs.windows.com/business/2016/08/11/updates-to-silicon-support-policy-for-windows/

Notwithstanding the great success ...

... we are developing "plan B" ...

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

On 8/11/2016 at 0:35 PM, cc333 said:

I've given up. After Windows Defender decided to spontaneously demolish some of my files (coincidentally, the ones which were meant to make Windows 10 more sane)

12 hours ago, Techie007 said:

That's nothing new.  I've had Windows Defender/SmartScreen attack Classic Shell, IrfanView and Mozilla Firefox in the past, totally blocking installation (and for Firefox, the download as well).  At least they were blocked and not removed.  But it was very difficult for even a person as knowledgeable as myself to get past.  I actually had to copy the installer over from another machine in the case of Firefox.  Thankfully it hasn't happened since, but it makes me wary of what Microsoft is capable of.  This is nothing like Norton, where with a quick right-click of its tray icon, I can suspend "protection" so that blocked software can operate and install, and then create whitelist rules so that protection can be re-enabled.

#WhenTheAntivirusBecomesTheVirus

This is certainly weird; even with all the upgrading and reinstalling of Win10 that I've done in the past year that's never happened to me. Maybe it has to do with the location of the files? I personally keep the files in a separate partition and disable defender to use a different antivirus (or none depending on what I'm using the system for) as soon as the system does its first boot.

On 9. kolovoz 2016. at 1:03 AM, JorgeA said:

More than 60 percent of Windows users would switch to Mac for more privacy

It's kind of ironic that people would switch to Apple over privacy concerns, of all things, but still the point is made.

--JorgeA

I wouldn't mind, but can OSX even be installed on any machine or are they still limited to their own made ?

On 8/11/2016 at 2:16 PM, jaclaz said:

Which is probably good.

Now why don't you start a suitable thread (containing a proper description of your work, instructions to use it, etc.) in an appropriate section of the board, like here:
http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/34-windows-xp/

and post a link to it?

jaclaz

Sorry my friend ,

My Customized KDW is truelly unstable.

Next weak I will go with Oldcigarates engine for wrapping function

if i get everything working properly , surely i will post.

42 minutes ago, vinifera said:

I wouldn't mind, but can OSX even be installed on any machine or are they still limited to their own made ?

Legally you can only install OS X on Apple hardware.  Look up the term Hackintosh for other options.

If/when Apple makes it legal / supported to run OS X on a PC, it'll be amusing to watch Windows 10 numbers drop.  I'll be rolling around on the floor laughing, because Apple seems to be loved for doing essentially the same things (and more) that Microsoft is loathed for.

-Noel

Yes, you can technically install OS X on non-Apple hardware, but it's against the EULA. It's also somewhat involved, as you need very specific hardware to have a smooth experience (you can't run it on any old thing, like you can with Linux and Windows), otherwise you'll be hacking the daylights out of it just to get it to boot.

I am currently running it on a PC server I built specifically to be a Hackintosh. Once it's up and running, you'd hardly ever know it wasn't the real thing just by looking at the display.

c

My Mac is currently unable to access the out side world I think it is due to a botched update, but who knows as long a boot camp works I don't need to use it for much. It is not a bad OS has a bad balance of over simplified vs technically insane. 

The Great Windows Phone App Exodus of 2016

Paul's website now features a paywall <_< but the first paragraph is enough to get the idea across:

Windows phone fans have suffered countless indignities in the year since Microsoft surrendered the smartphone market to Android and iPhone. But none are as hard to bear as the growing exodus of apps from the platform.

And, as I keep saying, mobile is pretty much the whole reason that Microsoft wrecked the Windows UI. Which means there is no reason anymore to persist on the sorry mess that is Metro/Modern/Universal. Make" apps" for Android if you must, and then let us import their data into real applications in Windows. Preferably via a local (Ethernet/WiFi) and not a cloud connection.

--JorgeA