Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

More details about the crippling of Group Policy in the Win10 Pro edition:
More forced advertising creeps into Windows 10 Pro

Most disconcerting is the fact that Microsoft has disabled the GPEdit setting in Win10 Pro called Turn off Microsoft consumer experiences. It's located in GPEdit directly below the "Windows tips" entry. The obvious question is, what's a Microsoft consumer experience?

[...]

I can't find an official list of "consumer experiences," but they include a lot of tiles for crapware that's now being installed by Microsoft on new machines. My list is pretty impressive. Here are the crapware app tiles I've seen installed by Microsoft on my test machines, apparently as part of the Windows 10 consumer experience: Candy Crush Soda Saga, Flipboard, Adobe Photoshop Express, iHeartRadio, USA Today, Twitter (the official app), Farmville 2, World of Tanks Blitz, Duolingo, and Pandora. Microsoft's also pushed tiles for its own Minecraft, Get Office, and Solitaire Collection.

--JorgeA

It'll say:
"We've offered it to you for free, but you've spurned us...
Now, your Window has been updated to 10, and you owe us US$ 299.
You can refuse to pay but, then, it won't boot anymore, ever...
We trully hope you've understood already this is an offer you can't refuse."

:ph34r:

19 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

After having some real-world time put in on Windows 10 finally, I have decided that I will use it on my next work computer. I would prefer Enterprise 10586, even if it doesn't appear there is an LTSB of that build.

My only complaint about the Cortana/search box is that you need to click into the field twice before you can type in it.

I don't know..

Enterprise might be safe, but so was Pro until recently. Who would have thought they would remove group policy settings there to force ads with an forced update?!

So anything goes now. Microsoft behaves literally like a villain. I would stay away from Windows 10. It's just too much of an liability. The forced change to the group policy settings was the final evidence. There's just about nothing they stop at.

Even I didn't think they would go THIS far. I guess their telemetry showed that more than enough people used gpedit to stop their crap, that's why they have done this. If users find a way to circumvent that, they will patch something in to circumvent the users again. Too crazy of an OS to use.

Edited by Formfiller

13 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Double strike

http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-phone-collapses-by-85-microsoft-sells-just-1-2m-phones-in-q2-506745.shtml

Phone revenue decreased $4.2 billion or 56%, as we sold 13.8 million Microsoft Lumia (‘Lumia’) phones and 75.5 million other phones in fiscal year 2016, compared with 36.8 million and 126.8 million sold, respectively, in fiscal year 2015.

Slightly OT, but not much ;) some breaking news :w00t:, a cloud based app has been just  been turned off "cloud sync" to avoid "sharing" other people's typed data:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/07/29/popular-ios-keyboard-swiftkey-disables-sync-feature-after-data-leak-is-discovered

https://blog.swiftkey.com/important-information-relating-to-the-status-of-our-sync-services/

Surprising ...

jaclaz

How bad does it have to be that one counts their sales in the 10s to 100s of millions, and the profits in the billions, and get then disappointed if the year is bit slower because you sold something so (almost) good last time that the market got saturated again and the buyers are waiting for something else 'awesome' to open their wallets again.

For a moment i thought buying/using a Windows Phone would instantly mean I could sync and share contacts and texts... this was during the Windows 7ish mango era. Its still too hard, and now its all on the bloody cloud waiting for the next screw up. It never worked, and I'd rather connect in 'storage' mode and just pull files from a folder like the old days.

Oh, but you updated the emojies... yay. Which company did you also assimilate this time, and we'll probably find out later in a leaked report.

7 hours ago, 351837 said:

Mark another victory (not!) for the "mobile Windows" model (ugly UI, UWP walled garden).

Logic would suggest desisting from force-feeding a failed phone UI onto desktop users, but then this is Microsoft we're talking about.

Arrogance and stubbornness more than compensate for whatever scores their IQ tests might show.

--JorgeA

Microsoft: More details on the end of 'Get Windows 10' and what's next

Q: Will MS still be marking Windows 10 as a recommended update on July 30 to those with Auto Updates turned on? Or will this no longer be the case?

A: The free upgrade offer ends at 11:59 p.m. UTC-10 on July 29, 2016. As such, it will no longer be available as a recommended update through Windows Update. (MJF note: This is the first time Microsoft officials have said this. I've been asking for the past couple of months and they declined to comment.)

Q: Microsoft officials said it will take a while for all the Get Windows 10 prompts to stop showing up. If people running Win 7/8.X see the GWX prompt starting July 30 and click on it, what happens? Will they go to a site suggesting they buy the update?

A: On July 29th the notifications will end. The Get Windows 10 (GWX) application will advise that the free upgrade offer has ended. In time, we will remove the application.

Hallelujah!!

--JorgeA

Now that the GWX campaign is (supposedly) over, Paul Thurrott does some math on its success:

Let’s estimate how bad it was. Warning: There will be bad math. Roll with it.

Over the four quarters in which Windows 10 was available, PC makers sold approximately 272 million PCs: 74 million units in Q3 2015, 72 million units in Q4 2015, 63 million units in Q1 2016, and 63 million units in Q2 2016. While it’s not possible to know how many of those PCs shipped with Windows 10—many were corporate devices that were downgraded to Windows 7, I’m sure—let’s guess and say that 50 percent of them are now running Windows 10. So about 135 million.

We know that most but not all Windows 10 devices are PCs. There are about 20 million Xbox Ones, for example. And then we would need to guestimate for phones and other devices. Being charitable, I’ll put that number at 5 million, even though that is a stretch.

This suggests that real human beings upgraded about 215 million PCs to Windows 10 over that first year. Out of 1.5 billion, or out of about 1 billion that were at some point eligible. So 20 percent-ish.

(The math, such as it is. If 135 million PCs sold with Windows 10 preinstalled then we arrive at about 240 million of the roughly 375 million Windows 10 devices being upgrades. But we have to subtract 20 million for Xbox and 5 million for phones/etc., arriving at 215 million. Yes, this is one giant hairball of supposition.)

So even though Microsoft was for some crazy amount of time tricking users into upgrading and then hoping they wouldn’t care enough to complain and/or roll back the system to their previous Windows version, the firm was only able to convince about 1 in 5 people to upgrade. To a free new version of Windows. 1 in 5, or 20 percent.

The "average" Windows user is frequently maligned and looked down upon by more expert users, but the fact that so many of those non-techie users managed to avoid getting Win10 despite Microsoft's aggressive and even deceptive efforts is a tribute to those users' actual level of technical ability. People are more knowledgeable (and are more keenly aware of what they want) than we often give them credit for.

One humorous bit in Paul's analysis:

But for those who have held out and stuck with Windows 7—or god help them, Windows 8

:lol:

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

1 hour ago, JorgeA said:

Microsoft: More details on the end of 'Get Windows 10' and what's next

Well, now it's time for obvious question: How much are they gonna pay us to take it?:P

EDIT: If anyone misses "upgrade" you can do it for free and after deadline.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/accessibility/2016/07/29/windows-10-free-upgrade-page-for-people-who-use-assistive-technologies/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Edited by 351837

If I get this right, "normal" people are out of "luck" whilst people with disabilities still have a chance.

All this time thinking that those that already upgraded had the one or the other form of (intellectual) disability... :unsure:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/accessibility/2016/07/29/windows-10-free-upgrade-page-for-people-who-use-assistive-technologies/

With more than a billion people with disabilities in the world, we are excited for customers to experience the new accessibility features in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

Hey, wait, here it comes the origin of the original "billion installs" target! :dubbio:

jaclaz

those that already upgraded had the one or the other form of (intellectual) disability...

Heh heh heh.  Intellectual disability.  Most popular Feedback App of 2016...

IdioticApp.png

Took a while to get it right, though.  First four versions were pretty buggy.  This one only crashes about every other time.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 1:18 PM, JorgeA said:

More details about the crippling of Group Policy in the Win10 Pro edition:
More forced advertising creeps into Windows 10 Pro

--JorgeA

It will be a sad day when all the advertisement links work, but the ones attached to Windows Updates and Event Viewer are still generic or a 404.