Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

1 hour ago, JorgeA said:

Guys, I advise against getting political. Not only is it OT, but it's the surest way to get this nice long thread to come to a screeching halt, either from "above" or from "below" -- or both.

I know that here in the U.S. we're suffering through an unusually heated election cycle :rolleyes::puke:, but on MSFN that topic belongs (if anywhere) in the general subforum.

Pleasepleaseplease, let's keep the thread on Microsoft and related tech issues! :)

--JorgeA

Understood. I wasn't trying to be political. I was just stating that NoelC's statement applied very nicely to the current election. I don't want this thread locked.

I'm really not liking MS OR Apple at this point, and may switch to Linux if I have to (to that end, the distro that JorgA posted a screenshot of looks intriguing (and remarkably Vista-like). I'll have to look into it.)

c

Edited by cc333

UH, just had a first-hand experience how Windows 10 looks like for the costumer. It’s really the LAST CRAP.

Using it on a VM is bad enough, but, some acquaintance brought in his newest Asus laptop for me to configure it as lean as possible. It had W10 on it. DANG.

Of course, Windows 10 itself bombards you with stupid messages every time: Cortana, “Wi-Fi Optimization”, something about one drive and a whole lot of other crap. Not to mention the forced updgrades (the first shutdown took two hours or so because of them!)

That’s bad enough in itself, yet there is also a TON of crapware from Asus installed on it as well! So in addition to the W10 crap messages, you also get a s***ton of BS side-popups from the “Asus cloud”, the Asus product registration McAfee, Avast (yes, it had them both: LiveSafe from McAfee, Secureline from Avast), drop box, some stupid apps and God knows what else. Then suddenly a full screen program called the “Asus Giftbox” popped up, which got stuck or something, because only the task manager was able to remove it (the application itself didn’t react to inputs).

Of course, the laptop was crawling.

Crapware is nothing new on Windows PCs, but because this time Windows 10 itself behaves like crapware, you have DOUBLE CRAPWARE.

I tried the built-in Windows 10 system restorer, it took hours and restored of course the full of crap installation.

And of course, there is no Windows 10 DVD or USB stick included for a (semi-) crap-free re-installation. BLERGH.

Had to make a ISO myself.

The experience was HORRIBLE. Much more so than in the past with W7 crapware.

And then they are wondering why PC sales stagnate!

Edited by Formfiller

5 hours ago, JorgeA said:

About MakuluLinux,

I took a screenshot tonight...

From a live DVD session on my (Vista) laptop. Hopefully this will help. Let me know if I should provide more info.

I have to say, that looks really polished.

-Noel

On 7/15/2016 at 1:50 PM, xpclient said:

To be honest, I am worried that once all the stupid people "arrived" and took over the industry via Facebook, :P , the tech industry has fallen into a trap of mindless conformity where the most popular technology wins regardless of whether or not it is actually better. New and different equals cool and hip. Fashion and social media play a big role in what is successful. This trend is so dangerously worrying and enough to drive a sane clever engineer to insanity.

Apologies for the length of this but this hits a sore spot for me...

See this article from a few years back (mostly places the blame with venture capitalists)...

Silicon Valley has become one of the most ageist places in America. Tech luminaries who otherwise pride themselves on their dedication to meritocracy don’t think twice about deriding the not-actually-old. “Young people are just smarter,” Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg told an audience at Stanford back in 2007. As I write, the website of ServiceNow, a large Santa Clara–based I.T. services company, features the following advisory in large letters atop its “careers” page: “We Want People Who Have Their Best Work Ahead of Them, Not Behind Them.”

Don't know if you've heard of the book "Disrupted: My Misadventures in the Start-Up Bubble" by Dan Lyons, came out last April but it pretty much confirms that article, see his StinkedIn post for a good summary of his book.

HubSpot was “trying to build a culture specifically to attract and retain Gen Y’ers,” because, “in the tech world, gray hair and experience are really overrated,” Halligan said. 

And then there's this one, "Is the hot tech job market leaving its veterans behind?"

Since being laid off in June from his $90,000-a-year tech support engineer job at Oracle Corp., Beaupre, 46, has applied for hundreds of positions, with no luck...He’s also not hopeful about finding another decent job in tech, and recently accepted a part-time position at Home Depot for $11 an hour.

(Btw, my StinkedIn network remains full of unemployed over-40s, including one mechanical engineer (he took a min wage job at Lowes), two structural engineers and one systems analyst with a PhD.)

Interesting quote from the comments section, I'm not a programmer so I don't know if they're correct with this observation (that there's nothing new being coded), maybe someone here can confirm/dispute?

I don't think we should be too impressed by young gunslingers. The fact is that in today's software development environment most people are writing snippets of code that glue together existing services and open source templates. It's like adding a sentence here and a paragraph there to a book outline that already exists and then taking credit for writing the entire novel. Very little is truly original, most are just coders and not truly software engineers. People work long hours because they have to. We are going through a period when "hacking" is considered cool. You just keep writing code until something works. An experienced professional, older people who have been through many projects realize that systems are designed and architected. More experienced professionals can have a broader view of the problem and how to create high-quality systems.

Finally, not to scare anyone, but here's one more (something to remember if/when the stock market crashes)...

"Wall Street is gripped by something called 'juniorization,' and it is freaking some people out"

Edited by sparkles
Fixed last link

FFS!

So I’ve made an ISO, re-installed Windows 10 “clean” (whatever that means given this OS) and removed some of Windows 10’s own crapware (Get Office, Skype Video, some other built-in apps). Then I ran Windows Update.

After Windows Update ran, those things which I have de-installed before (right-click on tile, de-install option) reappeared again!

WHAT A CRAPWARE POS! I am really angry. Realplayer had more respect for the users than this. Now it seems some crapware icons are stuck as well somehow, because the entry for “Skype Video” won’t go away, despite de-installing it again.

Microsoft was grilled in court over Netscape, yet they go scot free with this malware?! WTF?

This isn’t an OS, it’s crapware disguising as one. I have a really bad feeling handing out that thing to my acquaintance.

What a POS Windows 10 is. The Asus crapware was bad, but at least it won’t re-install itself after Windows Update ran.

No amount of shill can excuse this s***. They should be brought to court over this “OS”. It’s worse than Android regarding respect by far, and it isn’t even truly free of cost despite being adware. Not to mention their malware-tactics to spread this garbage.

The hate really enflames when you actually have to use it.

EDIT: OK, the stuck crapware icons are gone now, I've also wanted to remove Cortana from the start menu completely, but there is no "delete" option in the all-apps menu when you right-click on something! What the hell?!

I was able to delete everything in that sub-menu in W7. Again, what a CRAP POS. So Angry.

Edited by Formfiller

One final comment/observation just because it's so relevant it hurts...Re: StinkedIn as you all know has been bought by Microsoft. Over the past three years I've applied to just under 200 jobs on that site (the ones posted with a direct apply option, not just a link to the posting company's website). Whenever I wanted to review the list of past jobs I've applied for -- which I'd often want to do to make sure I haven't already applied to that company -- I'd click on the "jobs I've applied for" link which would give me a nice LIST of every job that I could scroll down very quickly to review. In a few page-downs I could see all jobs.

Guess what they've done to that page...that list has turned into...TILES!!!!!!! And you only get SIX tiles per screen (of course, they're honking huge), and you have to click on the stupid little right arrow to see the next six. Do you know how many times I now have to click to see what I previously got in that old-but-not-kewl list? Grrrrrrrrr...we are doomed. Over and out.

Hey don't freak me out Sparkles! I don't want to imagine such a world where age-based discrimination is widely prevalent. Next, they'll be wanting you to also be a fashion model besides a coder. If you don't have six pack abs and a hipster functionality besides knowledge of coding, you're fired. :P

Age-ism is the dumbest bias ever. Another evidence that tech-smart doesn't mean wise.

Unlike other biases, you WILL experience your own bias too. 100%.

It's laying the groundwork for your own demise. Especially crazy when it's about middle agers (40-50). If you're in your 20s or early 30s you're voluntary shortening your own productive life span to a tiny amount. That's just colossally peabrained. Especially given the fact that the average lifespan still increases.

Every twentysomething being able to count two and two together should get it how self-harming that is. I did when I was twentysomething. There's just no excuse to be this stupid.

Edited by Formfiller

1 hour ago, Formfiller said:

So I’ve made an ISO, re-installed Windows 10 “clean” (whatever that means given this OS) and removed some of Windows 10’s own crapware (Get Office, Skype Video, some other built-in apps). Then I ran Windows Update.

After Windows Update ran, those things which I have de-installed before (right-click on tile, de-install option) reappeared again!

WHAT A CRAPWARE POS! I am really angry. Realplayer had more respect for the users than this. Now it seems some crapware icons are stuck as well somehow, because the entry for “Skype Video” won’t go away, despite de-installing it again.

If it weren't real life, I'd say that it sounds like the plot to a horror film. :realmad:

--JorgeA

I like icons and gadgets! not tiles they drive me nuts I can't help, but wonder how they know what size to make them selves (I think I have a bit of ocd) and space them selves.

also: regarding the quote above this post would it be a good strategy to clean install Windows 10 the directly update it and then remove all the junk and configure the system?

Edited by helpdesk98

9 minutes ago, OldSchool38 said:

France serves notice to Mircosoft on data tracking

http://phys.org/news/2016-07-france-mircosoft-tracking.html

The French body added that should Microsoft fail to comply with the formal notice CNIL would draw up a report on Data Protection Act breaches which could result in a 150,000 euros ($165,000) fine.

Boy, that will sure teach them!  Wait. . . you've gotta be kidding me!  A mere $165,000?  For a giant like Microsoft, that's just a cost of doing business.  If forced to, they'll pay, and then it will be back to "business as usual".  I'd be more interested to know exactly what the French researchers found being transmitted by Windows 10.

Edited by Techie007

11 hours ago, xpclient said:

Hey don't freak me out Sparkles! I don't want to imagine such a world where age-based discrimination is widely prevalent.

Sadly, it's already here.

-Noel

10 hours ago, helpdesk98 said:

would it be a good strategy to clean install Windows 10 the directly update it and then remove all the junk and configure the system?

Now you're starting to understand why I wrote a 1,000+ line re-tweaker script that will take out tons of garbage in mere seconds.  I haven't tested it against the latest Win 10 pre-releases though.  I'm sure they'll have changed some things.

You'd think with an automated way to deal with files and registry keys that it would be possible to do everything, but no, there are things even the script can't do.  For example, I've found no way to instruct the system to ignore things the "Security Center" thinks are a bad idea.  Some of that stuff is stored in an encrypted way...  I suppose that's understandable, given the nature of malware in the past, but to use that facility against user wishes...  Way beyond warranted.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

It appears that MS really doesn't care if Windows 10 has issues.  They're off selling their Cloud and making more money doing it than their Win 10 project brings in.  I wonder if they will flush it like their phone project.  Or maybe it's already flushed?