Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

7 hours ago, rn10950 said:

How the hell do you subscribe to physical hardware?

Frankly I don't know, but judging from the over-engineering, I guess that it would be much better to be subscribed than to pay for repairs once warranty has expired.

Check contents of spoiler (components of a single, §@ç#ing hinge of a Surface):

Spoiler

landscape-1446575168-mechanism.jpgWhat could possibly go wrong?

jaclaz

Warranty expired?!?

Why wouldn't you want to just get a new one?  Sync'ing settings and having all your information pulled into the cloud makes it SOOOO easy to just throw away yesterday's hardware and get faster, shinier, better hardware.  Made by Microsoft of course.  You could show off the new hot new goodness to all your facebook friends via selfies.

-Noel

While it were IBM and Xerox (thus bona-fide representatives of the vanguard of Capitalism) the 1st tech companies (if I'm not mistaken) to push the lease-not-buy model of business, way back when, it's ironic, to say the least, that this same model evolved into the harbinger of some kind of Orwellian (or maybe Zamyatinesque) new order, with passing time, isn't it? :whistle:

17 hours ago, zolotron said:

hang of 10 spending most of their time trying to find solutions to the latest mishap and myriad other spinning dots anxieties 

thats what i like about windows 10 most, it gave me idea for few autohotkey and autoit scripts to write (to change tiny things i dont like...)

10 hours ago, NoelC said:

Warranty expired?!?

Why wouldn't you want to just get a new one?  Sync'ing settings and having all your information pulled into the cloud makes it SOOOO easy to just throw away yesterday's hardware and get faster, shinier, better hardware.  Made by Microsoft of course.  You could show off the new hot new goodness to all your facebook friends via selfies.

-Noel

Every time I read "faster, shinier, better hardware" i tend to mentally translate to "faster, untested, incompatible hardware" (partly because of the hardware itself, but largely because of the "faster, shinier, better" OS or software that accompanies it).

Most probably the race to nonsense (in hardware) has slowed a little bit since Moore's Law trend is slightly diverging from hardware speed increase, and however we are nearing the limits of "practical" speed.

I often think what the good people that worked on the AGC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

would have done if they had ARM dual/quad/octa cores CPU's like there is one in any recent smartphone. :unsure:

I mean, it wouldn't seem like rocket science nowadays.... ;), still try the procedure to migrate your phone directory from - say - a two years old phone to latest version of another manufacturer (different OS) phone, likely it will involve installing two communication suites (each several tens or hundred of megabytes) fight with USB cables/drivers/virtual ports, and what not only to transfer what could be (without loss of information) stored in a few Kb CSV file.

jaclaz

Right on point, jaclaz.  You picked up on the subtlety of my sarcasm.

Is it a coincidence that we haven't sent any more men to the moon?  That we crashed Mars probes?

>likely it will involve installing ... each several tens or hundred of megabytes

An anecdote:  Recently we had a problem with a library we buy from another company for managing licenses and activation.  It turned out the problem was in an open source library THEY use:  OpenSSL.  Not having used OpenSSL before ourselves, we downloaded and built the thing for the purposes of investigation and debugging.  What a piece of moldy swiss cheese!  I was very disappointed in the quality of the code.  It's no wonder it's had major security probems in the recent past (e.g., "Heartbleed").  As an engineer who values rigor, it seems to me that if a moon landing system were based on such code we might lose a lot of astronauts.  Yet this is the stuff that makes the world go 'round today.

So yes - it's high time to slow down and get things right, and stop treating technology as "throw away".  No one NEEDS an operating system that changes profoundly and frequently.  With such a thing no one can get anything DONE, and lord knows Microsoft themselves don't have the talent to take over for what the world could produce if only given a little time.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC
Somehow strikeout formatting was magically added by the editor

Somehow strikeout formatting was magically added by the editor

You mean the "faster, shinier, better" editor, I believe. ;)

On a side note, but to connect to your comment, once upon a time (like in Babylon times) the architects and engineers were required to stay under the bridge they designed or built while it was load tested.

We could do the same, send bunches of programmers to the moon (and possibly back) on vehicles governed by the software they wrote. :w00t:

We would surely have soon a sharp decrease on the number of programmers, but most probably have as a counter-effect some better software. :whistle:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

To be honest, I am worried that once all the stupid people "arrived" and took over the industry via Facebook, :P , the tech industry has fallen into a trap of mindless conformity where the most popular technology wins regardless of whether or not it is actually better. New and different equals cool and hip. Fashion and social media play a big role in what is successful. This trend is so dangerously worrying and enough to drive a sane clever engineer to insanity.

The "upgrade" was supposed to do wonders for your productivity, your workflow & bring new capabilities without wasting your time and past investments and the steady evolution and progress which happened in the past. That is why those top engineers were so highly paid. But that's not what's happening today. It's extremely disturbing. Big companies do changes and manipulate people so easily. Fanboys can't set their emotions aside and realize that the ultimate goal of exploitative companies is now only to profit even if it screws all your past investment, time and effort, and takes the product in the opposite direction.

There is no legal protection against being screwed. Instead we have "anything goes" mentality and customers who accept nonsensical changes without any objectivity. I am finding it extremely hard to make sense of it all, keep up with the stupid and regressive changes. Look at half the people posting here on MSFN who say "Eventually you MUST move to <latest> whatever". Who said so? Why must we move to inferior technology? Just because you were stupid enough to not see how bad it is?

I feel like the top management in these big companies is so insanely greedy and driven by money-based goals that they have no love left for the technology itself and how it benefits people. They are only in love with the ideology of making money by leveraging that technology. It's scary and I am not sure I want to be part of this stupid world where I find that bad, regressive changes are being so easily accepted and good, solid technology is being discarded because it was time for another "upgrade" cycle.

If technology multinational companies got so rich when their users were fully informed, now these companies have unlimited scope to get richer as ignorant people are in the majority! It will create a big economic imbalance where the most undeserving are highly paid because they're in a position of power but cannot handle the responsibility that comes with it.

It has come to the point where you can't say "No thanks". They will force "innovation" on you which doesn't really add value for you. And even if you were ready to take on the challenge of adopting the new thing, that's not good enough for them. They will actively ruin and take away what you were content with to force you to accept what you don't need.

Edited by xpclient

3 hours ago, rn10950 said:

It didn't take Nostradamus to predict that one.

To be fair the characteristic of Nostradamus "visions" are that they are not dated, not even approximately.

Everyone of course can see the difference between "I see Windows 10 installed on a billion devices ..." and "I see Windows 10 installed on a billion devices by mid-2018.", the latter is now seemingly debunked, we will see if the first will become true, now worded as "I see Windows 10 installed on a billion devices, before or later ..." ;).

jaclaz

10 hours ago, rn10950 said:

It didn't take Nostradamus to predict that one.

Really true !

! billion deviceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee This will happen only in dream of ms people:zzz:. Not in real world.

Please wait for two month , see where this  Windows 10 Goes