Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

1 hour ago, helpdesk98 said:

I love the Windows update logo in the bottom corner!

Yeah, isn't that cool? The reason I was attracted to MakuluLinux is precisely that the guy who put it together did such a thorough job with the theme, down to the Explorer folder icons and even the update icon! It's the closest I've seen to the Vista look in a Linux distro. He also gives you options for an XP or 7 look.

--JorgeA

It has been my observation that all the really common-sense-oriented people work on maintaining older systems.

Mostly it's because they CAN and their management knows that ultimately a complete failure to maintain the older system is going to get them in serious hot water.

On more than one occasion in my career I was told "we need you to hold the fort, since you're good at it".

Usually those that were assigned to "the new thing" were the least capable of turning that new project into something good.  Then it became doubly important to maintain the now really old system well so that the company wouldn't lose ALL its sales.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Here we go...

US Attorney-Generals actively pursuing cases against Microsoft over 'forced' Windows 10 upgrades

According to the Rockland Country Times, New York Attorney-General Eric Schneiderman is actively pursuing cases of Microsoft customers who have suffered in some way as a result of being forced or deceived into accepting a Windows 10 upgrade.

And Attorney-Generals in other states are reportedly also beginning to actively pursue cases against Microsoft for this same reason.

--JorgeA

Finally.  But hasn't EVERYONE suffered "in some way"?  Seems to me the productivity of the entire world has suffered!  How many man-hours have YOU put in to thwart GWX and Microsoft's intrusiveness?  Now multiply that by a billion.  What could have been done with tens of billions of man-hours?  What could you personally have done with that time if not be distracted by Microsoft's aggressive pushing in your door.

So now what happens?  They stop and say, "oops, sorry"?

It's kind of too late, no?  Whatever happened to "swift justice"?  Where is the federal Justice Department?

Someone directed the Microsoft Minions to put all that GWX BS in.  Oh darn, was it the guy on the sailboat in international waters?

-Noel

Mr. Eric Schneiderman must be commended by his move. And he certainly will win many cases over it for a long time.
As for justice, nowadays, it's neither swift, nor blind... but has been somewhat absent-minded for some time already... but, from time to time, for a change, she reacts... and sometimes it's even effective. But sure it's still better than nothing.

Yes, Windows 10 subscriptions are coming, at least for enterprise

... Beginning this fall, Microsoft will offer Windows 10 Enterprise E3, a special enterprise tier of Windows 10 that will cost $7 per user per month. Yusuf Mehdi, the corporate vice president of the Windows and Devices Group at Microsoft, said cloud providers would now be able to offer three premier Microsoft services on a subscription basis: Microsoft’s Azure, Office 365, and now Windows 10.

“For the price of a cup of coffee and a donut per day, you can get enterprise-class security on a per-user subscription basis,” Mehdi said onstage at Microsoft’s Worldwide Partner Conference in Toronto, Canada. “If you’re a cloud provider, this is now phenomenal” ...

55 minutes ago, TELVM said:

The news is spreading:

Microsoft confirms Windows 10 and Surface subscriptions are on their way

Microsoft prices Windows 10 Enterprise subscription at $84 per user per year

One question about this: Will this $84 per year be instead of or in addition to the astronomical fees that companies pay for Enterprise licenses? If it's "instead of," then it puts Windows Enterprise within reach of individuals and small businesses, posing an interesting follow-up question: Would you be willing to pay the yearly Enterprise subscription in order to enter the Long Term Service Branch and enjoy more granular control over both telemetry and the Windows Updates that get installed on your PC?

On another point, check out this comment about MSFT apologists under the first link above:

Rarely have I seen fanboys rise to such stellar levels of denial, self-delusion and plain old lying to themselves in order to maintain their religion. These people seriously need professional help. Subscriptions have been coming for a long time. We know this because Microsoft told us that was their endgame. I honestly pity these damaged individuals..of all the things you could worship and evangelize a consumer technology company is about the sorriest thing I can imagine.

If we quoted that on the Windows Insiders forum, I wonder how quickly it would get taken down.  ;)

--JorgeA

P.S. Reading further into the PC World piece:

According to a Microsoft spokeswoman, the subscription deal is not in any way related to Microsoft's consumer offering. It's worth highlighting, though, that a business of one employee can take advantage of it, however.

Edited by JorgeA
addition

Microsoft confirms Windows 10 and Surface subscriptions are on their way

Microsoft prices Windows 10 Enterprise subscription at $84 per user per year

emotionally_scarred_stewie-gap.jpgthe future is getting very dark.

Edited by helpdesk98
forgot to add text

5 hours ago, rn10950 said:

How the hell do you subscribe to physical hardware?

Easy.  Turn it into something no more useful than a lump of melted sand if payment is not made.

It is the new normal.  Get used to it.  Owning things is "last century".  Now it's about leasing and subscribing.

As stated, it's really no surprise.  We've been herded, as consumers, into this corral for a long time.  If you're "of a certain age", do you remember when leasing cars first became a thing?  Remember thinking, "who'd do that?  They'd end up with no car at the end of 4 or 5 years and be locked into leasing another one."  Think about it.  Now, is any price quoted in any ad anything BUT the minimum lease price?

Bottom line business model:

Upgrade for "free" to Windows 10 today.  Become reliant on it.  Then when your current computer breaks, you're locked in to having to pay for Windows every month instead of, say, your mortgage.  Or food.  Or saving for the future.

There is no better thing than to have the entire world pay you all they can spare every month, forever.

And no worse thing for the world.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

It's taken a year for people to start getting the hang of 10 spending most of their time trying to find solutions to the latest mishap and myriad other spinning dots anxieties rather than being productive and actually do work as they slowly become robotized and now there's another change coming so have to start all over again and must clean install and the chatter to mother will probably increase 10 fold because it's good for us and we need to be digitally corrected. This is no Operating System this is just a Microsoft pipe dream and it feels like we're the pipe for whatever it is they're inhaling there

2 hours ago, NoelC said:

... There is no better thing than to have the entire world pay you all they can spare every month, forever ...

^ You've touched it with a needle.

2 hours ago, NoelC said:

It is the new normal.  Get used to it.  Owning things is "last century".  Now it's about leasing and subscribing.

that is why I am going hold on to my old copies of Office and some other software. Office 2000 still works on W8 it goes batty when the ghost of Clipppy appears and tries to help and the interface is not new and exciting, but it is tried and true. and if all goes down the drain I will grab my slate and chizzel