Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

2 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Thanks.  Uninstalled 3173040.  It came back on the first update search, so now it is Hidden.

28 minutes ago, NoelC said:

(Rocking on my front porch reminiscing...) heh heh heh, I remember the old days, when the OS didn't need to apologize to you.

-Noel

The actual issue is not at all about the apologizing, it is about the interrupting. ;)

jaclaz

Windows 10 Insider 14379 brought back an issue with the MacBook running Win 10 under Boot Camp.  When Win 10 does a normal shutdown, two boots are required to bring it back.  The first boot black screens.  A manual power down is required. Then the second boot works OK.  This issue disappeared when Boot Camp Manager software was installed under 14372.  14379 seems to have stepped on some needed software.  Just a minor inconvenience while waiting for the next Fast Track to show up.  (Rocking on the back porch watching the birds....)

Windows 7/10 usage update:

Both Windows 7 and Windows 10 usage increased in June 2016

Interestingly, adoption of the old Windows 7 operating system also grew in June to 49.05% and was in fact the most-used out of all of the operating systems studied. Windows 7 usage, for the most part, had decreased since the launch of Windows 10 in late July 2015 from 60.73% to 47.82% in April 2016. It then jumped back up to 48.57% in May. A reason for this could be the decrease in Windows XP usage over the same time period. It would make sense that users of that old operating system would upgrade to the not-as-old Windows 7.

Was OS X 10.11 introduced last summer? If not, then the Win10 drive seems to have pushed at least some users into the Mac's embrace:

data.jpg

Whatever computer users were trying in April when the "Other" share jumped three points, seems to have proven unsatisfactory as it's dropped back even below March levels.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Dedoimedo reviews another tool to disable GWX, and offers this thought at the end:

In an odd way, I will miss this whole GWX drama. It's brought me so much traffic from around the Web. All of a sudden, Dedoimedo will be that much quieter. Unless Microsoft extends the offer. We shall see. See ya.

--JorgeA

Why do there have to be SO many tools?  Don't people realize they just need to take charge of the Windows Update process?  With 7 and 8 we have complete capability there.

Is there something terribly difficult with doing updates when YOU want them and VETTING EACH UPDATE offered?  Is that just too complicated for all the poor dears?  My God, if a person is not already watching Microsoft like a hawk what would it take to wake them up?

7406851.jpg

The answer to most things is not "more software!"  It's "more learning" and "more attention!"

-Noel

@JorgeA

Here is an adjective :w00t::

crappy

feel free to insert it between "another" and "tool" or between "disable" and "GWX", personally I added it in both places to be on the safe side while reading. ;)

jaclaz

26 minutes ago, NoelC said:

Is there something terribly difficult with doing updates when YOU want them and VETTING EACH UPDATE offered?  Is that just too complicated for all the poor dears? 

Evidently Microsoft thinks so, considering the new Win10 model "featuring" bundled and automatic Windows Updates.  :thumbdown

--JorgeA

1 hour ago, JorgeA said:

Whatever computer users were trying in April when the "Other" share jumped three points, seems to have proven unsatisfactory as it's dropped back even below March levels.

If you look closer, you'll see they fell back to 8 (and may then have decided to update to 8.1, when feasible, this helping compensate the bleeding of 8.1 machines hijacked by MS to 10 from poor clueless users, by their more agressive recent campaign). :dubbio:

Am I the only one who hates that the direction of tech in the world is now defined by i d i o t s?

Not that I've never done anything idiotic.  But at least I try to think a little bit from time to time.  I actually LIKE learning new things.

Big click bait buttons, happy face icons, Fisher Price font sizes, oversimplified lumps of er, ah, stuff that are anything but transparent and actually do have nefarious payloads...  Sigh.  What i d i o t said that these things are better?

Hard work, intelligence, patience, diligence...

51N60HEPSZL.jpg

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

6 hours ago, NoelC said:

Am I the only one who hates that the direction of tech in the world is now defined by i d i o t s?

Not that I've never done anything idiotic.  But at least I try to think a little bit from time to time.  I actually LIKE learning new things.

Big click bait buttons, happy face icons, Fisher Price font sizes, oversimplified lumps of er, ah, stuff that are anything but transparent and actually do have nefarious payloads...  Sigh.  What i d i o t said that these things are better?

Hard work, intelligence, patience, diligence...

-Noel

It's like schools here in Australia where all the kids get medals regardless if they win or lose so they don't feel left out and there's no emphasis on excellence anymore. Kind of let's dumb the population down so they follow the rules and never challenge authority or try to break the rules in order to find new questions to be answered so can invent what is yet to be invented and learn new ways of doing things. So yeah seems the new tech world IS defined now by i d i o t s with those unpaired chromosomes and the wish to never stand out in case it allows people to think for themselves  

Edited by zolotron