Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Let the games begin:  Win 10 Fast Insider:  [10 year old MacBook versus 10 year old Dell Laptop]  Both computers use dual core Intel CPUs and Intel chipsets on the mother board.  As of today both have version 1607 build 14361 and both had clean installs of that operating system.  I'm beginning to think that Intel chipsets may favor Windows 10.  The first challenge was passed by both systems, cleanly install fast track Win 10.  The second challenge is with no special modifications, softwarewise, Win 10 needs to keep running. This camp doesn't set the bar very high.  Just having fun in a challenging election year.  Computers should just run and tell the truth at least most of the time.  Perhaps, I should call this a computer foster camp for oldies but goodies.  How about 10 year old computers are really 100 years old in human years?

Meanwhile, over in Menlo Park...

Facebook threatens to delete users' photos if they don’t install the Moments app

Not content with forcing people into using its Messenger app, Facebook is continuing its aggressive tactics and driving users to install its photo-sharing app, Moments. The social network has warned users that their photos face deletion if they fail to use the Moments app.

Looks like FB has joined the cyberfascist movement...

--JorgeA

10 minutes ago, BudwS said:

How about 10 year old computers are really 100 years old in human years?

Cool -- my Sanyo MBC-550 is 320 years old in human years, and still going strong!! :D

BTW it's remarkable that your Apple hardware has done so well with Microsoft software. Steve Jobs must be rolling over in his grave... ;)

--JorgeA

Anybody have insight into what may be going on here with the Edge browser:

Keystroke Encryption is currently no longer supported in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 Redstone 1 (build 14291 or newer). We have no idea what MS has done but no other keystroke scrambling software is not working in Edge on 14291+ either.

Edge was already struggling to maintain a foothold in the browser market. This news can only help to push it closer to the, umm, edge of failure.

--JorgeA

On 5/7/2016 at 3:00 PM, MTDirector said:

You can already do that in Windows 8 (and maybe 7), just navigate to HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop and change the DWORD MouseWheelRouting value to 2. That's all ;)

I am confirming that this works in Windows 8 and does not work in Windows 7.  Thank you for sharing this tweak!

On 6/3/2016 at 7:05 PM, Formfiller said:

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOoooooooooooooooooooooWWWWWWWWWW:

nag.jpg

It’s not possible to opt-out Windows 10 anymore!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/01/windows_10_nagware_no_way_out/

You can only postpone the date and that’s all!

Of course the average user wouldn't know to do this, but in such a situation, I would schedule the update for as late in the future as possible, and click [Confirm time and close].  Then I'd immediately run my OptOut10 program to cancel the reservation, clear the scheduled update, disable GWX and such upgrades in the future, followed by a reboot to ensure that the new settings take full effect.  As of now, I am still not aware of an anti-10 solution that is as effective at bringing a system back from the brink after the upgrade is reserved.

On 2016-06-11 at 3:55 PM, xpclient said:

Well I did make a tremendous effort to learn Linux and set it up close to the desktop I had on Windows. I found Xfce's WhiskerMenu quite decent. But still couldn't get close to Windows-level of usability so gave up:

CeQAjmKUkAAq-8H.jpg:large

Hi xpclient!

I would be interested to know what you were missing for usability...

It seems that many that try Linux want it to look like Windows...? Linux is not Windows and never will be I hope...;)

I love Linux because it is just that...not ******* Windows!!

Edited by bookie32

3 hours ago, Techie007 said:

Of course the average user wouldn't know to do this, but in such a situation, I would schedule the update for as late in the future as possible, and click [Confirm time and close].  Then I'd immediately run my OptOut10 program to cancel the reservation, clear the scheduled update, disable GWX and such upgrades in the future, followed by a reboot to ensure that the new settings take full effect.  As of now, I am still not aware of an anti-10 solution that is as effective at bringing a system back from the brink after the upgrade is reserved.

Well, I don't know if I am missing something here...but this hasn't been a problem with the help of "Ulitimate Outsider" app. I haven't had one computer that has attempted to update to Windows 10 since using the app....but then again...Microsoft are a*******s and will get around that one eventually.

bookie32

I am not particularly concerned if Linux looks like Windows (although it certainly doesn't hurt) as long as it works like Windows. Windows made everything easier and productive before they started making it too dumb and oversimplified. I am not in favor of too much and unnecessary complexity which Linux has at the moment vs Windows which now has too much simplicity (and mediocrity). I could send you a big long never ending list of usability issues with Linux GUIs but what good would that be if they can't be fixed by anyone? I would rather tell them to Ivo to make Windows work better since he can develop software to address the awful limitations that Microsoft is intentionally building into Windows. Linux might be better than Windows since it gives more control but I am not sure I need that level of complexity.

I'm not saying Linux is hard to use. It's easy enough. It's just not as comfortable or as productive as Windows. Let me give you an example. The MATE Start Menu doesn't select the first result automatically so you can press Enter to launch the topmost program. I had to search the internet for a fix and after hours of searching, I found it buried deep in some forum. I then had to edit the applications.py file written in Python to add one more line to it: shownList[0].grab_focus() JUST to make the MATE advanced menu auto-focus on the top search result. This is not good enough for the average Windows user. Linux community isn't getting usability right.

Edited by xpclient

12 hours ago, JorgeA said:

There's a Spanish saying that goes, "en el país de los ciegos, el tuerto es rey." Translated to English, it means "in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." At home, I'm that one-eyed man.  :)

... only it is not necessarily Spanish,  beati monoculi in terra caecorum or In terra caecorum monoculus rex is medieval latin, it is common saying in many countries/languages and of course H.G.Wells is a classic:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Country_of_the_Blind

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

1 hour ago, xpclient said:

I am not particularly concerned if Linux looks like Windows (although it certainly doesn't hurt) as long as it works like Windows. Windows made everything easier and productive before they started making it too dumb and oversimplified. I am not in favor of too much and unnecessary complexity which Linux has at the moment vs Windows which now has too much simplicity (and mediocrity). I could send you a big long never ending list of usability issues with Linux GUIs but what good would that be if they can't be fixed by anyone? I would rather tell them to Ivo to make Windows work better since he can develop software to address the awful limitations that Microsoft is intentionally building into Windows. Linux might be better than Windows since it gives more control but I am not sure I need that level of complexity.

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion...I haven't found one thing that can't be fixed in all the years I have used Linux....It is far more stable than Windows and doesn't get upset if you hold in the power button to turn it off...Windows is too sensitive by far...

As for fixing stuff in Windows...it has become a nightmare....products just don't work and Microsoft don't give a d***....

The Linux community are so big now you can always get answers to a question/s no matter what....

Can't say the same for Windows...

bookie32

7 hours ago, Techie007 said:

I would schedule the update for as late in the future as possible, and click [Confirm time and close].  Then I'd immediately run my OptOut10 program to cancel the reservation, clear the scheduled update, disable GWX and such upgrades in the future, followed by a reboot to ensure that the new settings take full effect.  As of now, I am still not aware of an anti-10 solution that is as effective at bringing a system back from the brink after the upgrade is reserved.

Whenever I see that graphic (since I have never seen the dialog and don't want to flirt with disaster) I wonder:

1.  How far in the future could one pick a time/date?

2.  What other panels are available if you click that arrow at the right edge?

-Noel

"...Well, they've got a pet monkey, he likes to get drunky
And write appy wappys and they look real funky...

...Shut up baby, I'm trying to compute...

Win10zan, it's all you can't stand, let's give it the can, Win10zan..."

-Noel