Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

8 hours ago, Formfiller said:

I would expect anything from them now. Stealing code through phone home in Visual Studio

And let me tell you, Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition tries MIGHTILY to contact the mothership.  I've got it tamed, but it has taken effort on several fronts to stop these unwanted comms:

• Locally block telemetry server name resolution:  *.vo.msecnd.net
  • Locally block telemetry server name resolution:  *vortex.data.microsoft.com
  • Locally block telemetry server name resolution:  *telemetry.microsoft.com
  • Block attempts by VS 2015 with firewall to access:  go.microsoft.com
  • Remove execute permissions for VsHub.exe et. al., which try to contact Azure servers no matter what the settings.

I still allow it to check for updates to add-ons, e.g., I use AnkhSVN.

-Noel

now I know this is way out there, but I think if MS went a different direction with this "upgrade" and rather than do an upgrade allow you to install W10 on a separate partition allowing you to keep your older installation while still giving you the upgrade for free I think that would have been better. Note: I know that comes with its own set of problems and would probably never happen, but I can dream lol.

24 minutes ago, helpdesk98 said:

now I know this is way out there, but I think if MS went a different direction with this "upgrade" and rather than do an upgrade allow you to install W10 on a separate partition allowing you to keep your older installation while still giving you the upgrade for free I think that would have been better. Note: I know that comes with its own set of problems and would probably never happen, but I can dream lol.

That wouldn't be such a bad thing, but of course MSFT isn't willing to take the chance that customers will find Win7 superior and just stay there.

I have Win7 and Win10 Pro (free Insiders license) dual-booting on a laptop and the machine spends 90% of its time in 7.

--JorgeA

12 hours ago, jaclaz said:

A little hyped, as often happens, but it raises a couple of points about pushing upgrades automatically at the wrong time/without user intervention, etc.:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/03/windows_10_upgrade_satellite_link/

jaclaz

I wonder how terrible of an "untimely upgrade" outcome it would take for Microsoft to finally back off on its downgrade campaign. A hostage rescue gone bad? An airplane flight getting ready for landing?

Doubtlessly the lawyers would find a way to blame the victim somehow. "He clicked to accept the EULA at some point" or similar drivel. As if everyone should have to stop to ponder Microsoft's impenetrable, interminable prose just because the brats in Redmond decided it would be a good idea.

--JorgeA

3 minutes ago, helpdesk98 said:

Just doing my mandatory upgrade and noticed something:

Win10Upgrade2.png

Don't worry I am running this in a VM purely for testing purposes.

It's worth a try, try it and report your result.

Will do. Im going to let this one install and later I will roll back to my Windows 7 snapshot and I will try let it sit too long. Once it starts the upgrade process the "Cancel Upgrade" option goes away. 

OT :w00t::ph34r: , but not much ;) what could actually be worse than windows auto-updating to Windows 10?

Rather obviously, unauthenticated automatic updates from the hardware manufacturer, JFYI:
http://teletext.zaibatsutel.net/post/145370716258/deadupdate-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and

The really worrying part is not the (flawed) design or the (senselessly irresponsible) implementation, it is the fact that the ASUS guys didn't respond to the disclosure notice, ad not even to CERT/CC ...

jaclaz

>ASUS...

Yeah, Dell did that for a while too (maybe they still do, I dunno).

It's called "Cloud Integration", and for dummies (whom we are to believe comprise 99% of all Windows users), it's considered better (by those who would want to push things on dummies) to have someone else do whatever they want to your system whenever they want (trust us!!!), rather than have the users learn how to take good care of their high tech gear themselves.  I guess the idea is that those users have more important things to do (like deal with the lawsuit they have because they ran over someone while texting and driving).

Regarding that 99% figure...  Given the CLEAR reluctance of more than half the world so far to "up"grade from Windows 7 and other older operating systems, I'm of a mind to believe it's less than 50% who are too ignorant or naïve or stupid to realize what's going on.  It's entirely reasonable to think that THOSE folks shouldn't be using an operating system at all.

b85b6b27e9fe5c9789b5f0b269e4b3e4.1000x81

-Noel

Are you speaking of a theme replacement, helpdesk98?  I don't find the newer icons difficult to deal with myself.

I see you have Classic Shell.  It's Very Good.  Better than ANY start menu Microsoft ever coded.

Some suggestions...

• You can double click the tab heading to shrink the tab area at the top of the File Explorer window.  Then the headings become more like menus.
  • I don't personally use any of the Classic Shell tool icons in Explorer, so I hide them (right click in the open space to the left of them).
  • Customize the look and feel of the start menu to make the first panel have small entries as well.
  • Through configuration Classic Shell can facilitate translucency of the Taskbar and menus.  Overall it integrates well with Aero Glass for Win 8+.
  • It supports being run on a system that's tweaked to run with UAC disabled and no Apps in sight.
  • You can hide the Windows status bar near the bottom, the Classic Shell one is the only one you need.
  • You can set the Explorer address bar to show a true path, not breadcrumbs.

A bit more advanced stuff...

• There are various ways to trim what's shown in the Navigation (left) pane in Explorer.
  • You can cause darker fonts to be used in Explorer and the Details view entries to be spaced more tightly together via a little tweaker called Folder Options X by T800.

ScreenGrab_W10_06_05_2016_125444.png

2 hours ago, NoelC said:

>ASUS...

Yeah, Dell did that for a while too (maybe they still do, I dunno).

It's called "Cloud Integration", and for dummies (whom we are to believe comprise 99% of all Windows users), it's considered better (by those who would want to push things on dummies) to have someone else do whatever they want to your system whenever they want (trust us!!!), rather than have the users learn how to take good care of their high tech gear themselves.  I guess the idea is that those users have more important things to do (like deal with the lawsuit they have because they ran over someone while texting and driving).

Yep, but this ASUS implementation is much worse than DELL's one (not tha the DELL's one is actually "good"), JFYI:
https://duo.com/blog/out-of-box-exploitation-a-security-analysis-of-oem-updaters

Spoiler

OEM-vendor-issues.png

jaclaz

14 hours ago, helpdesk98 said:

Will do. Im going to let this one install and later I will roll back to my Windows 7 snapshot and I will try let it sit too long. Once it starts the upgrade process the "Cancel Upgrade" option goes away. 

I had one of these Win 10 install upgrades start on a Win 7 PC that was not Win 10 throttled.  I avoided any clicks to the Win 10 upgrade window because of previous posts.  Just opened Task manager and did an end task on the update.  That stopped the update in its tracks.  I'm still leaving this Win 7 relatively open however 3035583 has been uninstalled and when it showed up again it was then hidden.  This Win 7 is there to see what the updates are doing to Win 7.  If another Win 10 upgrade shows up, i"ll use Task manager to stop it and then hide the particular Win 10 upgrade.  Just living on the cutting edge, smiles for everyone.

Just a thought, in August will there be automatic billing for these rogue W10 upgrades?

1 hour ago, BudwS said:

I had one of these Win 10 install upgrades start on a Win 7 PC that was not Win 10 throttled.  I avoided any clicks to the Win 10 upgrade window because of previous posts.  Just opened Task manager and did an end task on the update.  That stopped the update in its tracks.  I'm still leaving this Win 7 relatively open however 3035583 has been uninstalled and when it showed up again it was then hidden.  This Win 7 is there to see what the updates are doing to Win 7.  If another Win 10 upgrade shows up, i"ll use Task manager to stop it and then hide the particular Win 10 upgrade.  Just living on the cutting edge, smiles for everyone.

Great idea!  :thumbup

What was the name of the process that you killed in Task Manager? Readers discovering this thread may find it useful to know what to look for.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA